How late can we board?

alolewis

Booked on the Grand Princess from Seattle, leaves at 4 PM. Unlike most people, we want to board late as we want to explore Seattle a little first. How late can we board, if we are at the terminal by 3PM is that enough time? I know they serve lunch in the MDR and buffet but we were thinking a nice seafood lunch in Seattle prior to boarding.

Booked on the Grand Princess from Seattle, leaves at 4 PM. Unlike most people, we want to board late as we want to explore Seattle a little first. How late can we board, if we are at the terminal by 3PM is that enough time? I know they serve lunch in the MDR and buffet but we were thinking a nice seafood lunch in Seattle prior to boarding.

3pm would be the latest you'd want to get there... muster will most likely be at 3:15pm for a 4pm departure.

I think 2:30 would be safer... I'd hate the possibility of missing the ship!

Doesn't Homeland Security require a manifest 90 minutes prior departure?

In any event, I wouldn't risk it. You can have a nice lunch and be at the pier by 2 or 2:30. The gates may also close just before or at 3...

You need 1 1/2 hour before the ship sails to be safe. Remember, you will want to drop off your bags and start putting things away and get comfortable before dinner and your cruising experience begins.

Don't put too much pressure on yourselves the day of embarkation, it can get very stressful with the luggage; the lines; the unpacking; the muster drill, etc., etc.

Get to the ship in plenty of time, have a fu-fu drink, relax and enjoy your vacation.[/b]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

The Dept of Homeland Security requires all cruise ships to file passenger manifests 60 mins prior to boarding, so 3pm for a 4pm sailing will not cut it. 90 mins prior to sailing is more likely the latest, providing you have previously submitted your immigration information on line in the cruise personalizer. The muster drill will most likely be around 3:15 so it can be completed for the sail away. Unless you are within walking distance of the pier, why risk a late arrival. One traffic accident and you will miss the ship.

Booked on the Grand Princess from Seattle, leaves at 4 PM. Unlike most people, we want to board late as we want to explore Seattle a little first.

Why don't you get to Seattle a day earlier and then you will have no problem and have plenty of time to explore.

DON

The Dept of Homeland Security requires all cruise ships to file passenger manifests 60 mins prior to boarding, so 3pm for a 4pm sailing will not cut it. /quote]

This should read 60 mins. prior to sailing, not boarding. Sorry.

This should read 60 mins. prior to sailing, not boarding. Sorry.
Plus, you need to be back on the ship in time to get your life jacket and go to Muster. First announcement is at 3:15pm and Muster starts at 3:30pm. If you miss it, you'll be required to attend a Muster later in the evening or the next morning.

Hopefully you're not arriving in Seattle the morning of your cruise. The airport is south of Seattle, so you'll have to make your way to the actual city. And it's such an amazing city, I can't imagine seeing much of it in just a few hours.

Ten years ago, we took the Coast Starlight up the west coast to get to Seattle. Our cruise was on Sunday, but we arrange our travel to arrive Friday night. Spent Saturday (we rented a car for the day), going to a couple of stores (wine, sodas, travel-sized laundry detergent, etc.), and then we did a little sightseeing around Pioneer Square with dinner there. Next day got to the port as early as possible. After our return on Sunday, got another rental car and stayed until Wednesday morning to catch our return train. In the meantime, we drove to Olympia for one day, explored around the Space Needle (we didn't go up though), explored the excellent science museum and another smaller museum. And as the one in my family who has been in Seattle before a couple of times, I knew we didn't even scratch the surface of Seattle awesomeness. (my hubby and daughter enjoyed the first time there though)

For us, embarkation day is all about getting onto the ship and exploring that.

As It appears you are going to miss boarding your ship, can I use your tickets?:D

We are not going to miss the ship but if we did you would have to fight my wife for them. For personal reasons we cannot fly in a few days early so I booked a flight that gets into Seatac at 8:10 am after explaining to my DW why she has to get up at 0400 on our vacation for a 6:20 am flight. We have plenty of time for any issues such as late flight and there are lots of lights from SF Bay area to Seattle if ours is cancelled or something. I used to live on Bainbridge Island, across the sound from Seattle, from 1981-1983 and have taken many business trips to Seattle with my wife coming with me so we have done all of the basics so I am very familiar with Seattle. Actually our two favorites are the Chihuly exhibit at Seattle Center and the Ballard Locks and Gardens. Our plan is to take the light rail from the airport to downtown, find somewhere to store our luggage, most likely a hotel, and then do some exploring in Pioneer Square and then a fresh seafood lunch along the waterfront since all the seafood on the ship is frozen. After lunch most likely take the number 24 bus to pier 91 but if running late then a taxi.

Since retiring in May we are those people who now retired wonder when we had time to work. For the first time we need to synchronize our calendars.

On these boards people always ask the earliest they can check but a search did not find anyone asking the latest they can check in, hence I asked.

Edited by alolewis

1) Arrive a day early. It's worth it.

2) The ABSOLUTE LATEST I would recommend arriving is 90 minutes before departure. They really want to finish boarding 1 hour before casting off, so figure arriving at the terminal NO LATER than 2:30p.

3) A "nice seafood lunch in Seattle"? Well, you've already paid for a "nice seafood lunch" (on the ship). Why would you want to pay for another ashore? If it's that darn important, get it when you return . . .

4) Agree wholeheartedly with what TREVEN said!

.........On these boards people always ask the earliest they can check but a search did not find anyone asking the latest they can check in, hence I asked.

I think that it would not hurt to call Princess and ask that question as well.

..........a fresh seafood lunch along the waterfront.......

Yummm. Sounds good to me. Now how do I get to Ivar's from Arizona......??:cool:

I booked a flight that gets into Seatac at 8:10 am. Our plan is to take the light rail from the airport to downtown, find somewhere to store our luggage, most likely a hotel, and then do some exploring in Pioneer Square and then a fresh seafood lunch along the waterfront.

You might want to just go to the ship's terminal first and drop off your luggage. By the time you get your luggage and can make it to the terminal, they should be able to take your luggage.