Free WiFi

Sunshine2001

Can anyone tell me if they have any free wifi

Sorry there is no free WiFi on any Celebrity ships.

Technically there are "free" minutes if you are Elite, Elite+ or Zenith. The number of minutes you receive depends on your Loyalty Level. Elite 90 minutes; Elite + 200 minutes; Zenith 1620 minutes.

Edited by Orator

Can anyone tell me if they have any free wifi on the Silhouette? I doubt it but reading their website its kind of confusing.

thank you

No wifi is free unless you have certain captains club status or you have a third or fourth person in your cabin and you booked under the 123 Promo where internet minutes were offered to the additional occuants.

Can anyone tell me if they have any free wifi on the Silhouette? I doubt it but reading their website its kind of confusing.

thank you

NOPE and as has been discussed, internet is often very slow. Likely you'll have cheaper or free access when in ports

Here are the rates listed on Celebrity's web site. Some returning cruisers have reported the packages were a little different on their recent cruises:

• $0.75 cents a minute with no package.
  • In and Out Package - $24.95 for 38 minutes
  • In Touch Package - $49.95 for 90 minutes
  • Informed Package - $99.95 for 208 minutes
  • Interact Package - $199.95 for 555 minutes
  • Involved Package - $399.95 for 1666 minutes

As others have said the internet on board is very slow and service is not always reliable. Since the ship's satellite connection is shared by all passengers on board the speed of the internet connection is best when the fewest other passengers would be online such as very early in the morning or very late at night.

Personally, I've never tried to use the internet at a café in port nor tried to find a place with free internet. I guess I've always had other things I wanted to do with my time in port.

I have an iPad equipped for ATT cellular data and I have bought an international roaming package from ATT. This does not include service at sea but does include service when you are docked at a port of call. Rate information is on ATT's website. If you go this route be sure you know how to switch international roaming on and off to limit use so you wont' burn through your package accidentally and be sure you know how to track the amount of data used so you'll know when you've used up the included cellular data allowance.

Edited by Lsimon

We have found in many ports, especially in the Caribbean that there r often bars/restaurants at the ports that offer free wifi. We do our thing during day and then on the way back to the ship often stop, have a drink and suck up as much free wifi as we can. Being close to ship alleviates need to worry about making it back to the ship (I suppose if had too many drinks the time could slip by).

On our British Isles cruise, we got an Internet package so we could check things at our convenience. Two other couples that we were traveling with (made fun of us) didn't, and thought they would use wifi in ports. What a mistake! They didn't have time in some ports if they were on a ships excursion. In the other ports, they had trouble finding free wifi. Many places post that they have it, but didn't give the password, so no use. They became frustrated, and one couple finally got a package with two days left on the cruise. It may be a good idea to get a small package, just in case.

We did have international phone service. Be sure to TURN OFF roaming data. One couple didn't and had over $600 bill, which AT&T reduced after they spoke with them.

Cheers!

Edited by gwilli
Additional info

...We did have international phone service. Be sure to TURN OFF roaming data. One couple didn't and had over $600 bill, which AT&T reduced after they spoke with them. ..

International Data Roaming is normally off by default but one should check this before leaving the country and going on a cruise. While using data services (email, apps, internet browsing) is extremely expensive out of the country if you do not have an international package the international packages offered by AT&T (and presumably other cell companies as well) make it much more affordable. We buy the international packages before cruising now so we can use our iPad in ports when the ship is docked. Check out the rates on AT&T's web site. But while the international data rates are much more affordable with a package they are still expensive enough that you need to make sure that data roaming is switched to off when you're not using it and that you know how to check your data usage so you can monitor how much you are using.