Early Dec pricing

So for those of you who often cruise in early Dec, between thanksgiving and Christmas and not on - when do you book to get the best deals? We have never booked this time of year but I thought I read what a great time it was for pricing. I'm looking at the Dec 7th allure sailing and pricing is higher than our end of May sailing when I thought pricing was high. Trying to figure out when is the best time to purchase for the best deal. I've got my parents and my sister and her family talked into a family trip instead of everyone traveling for the holidays to each other. BUT I want to steer everyone in the right direction here and get us the best pricing. I use a major online travel agent to get free gratuities, dinner, and OBC and would prefer to still book with them.

Thanks everyone for your expertise! :)

We are sailing Dec 6th on Oasis and it's already almost filled up just a few balcony suites left. We booked a couple weeks ago. Couldn't tell you about timing but they look like they're going fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I found out lately, the earlier, the better. You can always take advantage of a price reduction later as long as it is before final payment.

We have our cruise booked for Dec. 2015 already. Booked it several months ago. Prices came down with the BOGOHO sale and upgraded to a JS. Now prices are a lot higher than when we originally booked.

Gwen :)

The earlier the better. I booked a Nov. 30 '14 cruise when it first became available about 18 months before the sail date. That price is now double what we paid. We also booked Dec. 6, 2015 this past May, and that price is now $800 more than we paid.

So for those of you who often cruise in early Dec, between thanksgiving and Christmas and not on - when do you book to get the best deals? We have never booked this time of year but I thought I read what a great time it was for pricing. I'm looking at the Dec 7th allure sailing and pricing is higher than our end of May sailing when I thought pricing was high. Trying to figure out when is the best time to purchase for the best deal. I've got my parents and my sister and her family talked into a family trip instead of everyone traveling for the holidays to each other. BUT I want to steer everyone in the right direction here and get us the best pricing. I use a major online travel agent to get free gratuities, dinner, and OBC and would prefer to still book with them.

Either very early or late (4-6 weeks out or less). Late is almost always the cheapest if the ship doesn't fill but only good for those that can book at the last minute (and assuming the ship didn't sell out). So in your situation the earlier the better and just watch for price drops once booked.

Edited by topnole

Yes, it used to be a good time to book. for the past 10 years I've booked a cruise from about Dec 10 to Dec 16, maybe 5 months out, and even when they had the Diamonds in December promo the rates were great. Of course that was also before they started hitting solos with the full 200% surcharge. Now the rates are the same as the holiday sailings, some cruises for around Dec 12 are actually higher than New Years Eve sailings. I guess more people are booking, hard to imagine that families want to be away from home during this time, or RCI is playing what I call "chicken" pricing, throw a ridiculous price out there and see who blinks first :-).

Mary, I am actually on that cruise and booked it a year out and got a super deal on a balcony If I remember correctly it was around $779 for an ocean view cabin. I am seeing some great deals on Oasis around that time frame in 2015. Hope that helps

We usually do a cruise at that time, and often book about two months out. We've gotten some killer deals and some good deals.

We don't only book with RCI, we go with a price, itinerary, etc. that suits us. We are very flexible as to date, room (but always a balcony) and cruise line. We do prefer at least a 10-day, though.

Prices this year are ridiculously high. We typically book about 8 months out and occasionally will book after final payment if there is a surplus of unsold cabins. Unless you are really attached to a specific cabin/category....I would wait until after final payment and see how it shakes out.

Earlier the better normally... HOWEVER if you are willing to travel the prices for Serenade out of New Orleans are Great! :)

Smaller ship, but sail down the Mississippi river while you can. They're pulling out of the port after this year. :(

Yes, it used to be a good time to book. for the past 10 years I've booked a cruise from about Dec 10 to Dec 16, maybe 5 months out, and even when they had the Diamonds in December promo the rates were great. Of course that was also before they started hitting solos with the full 200% surcharge. Now the rates are the same as the holiday sailings, some cruises for around Dec 12 are actually higher than New Years Eve sailings. I guess more people are booking, hard to imagine that families want to be away from home during this time, or RCI is playing what I call "chicken" pricing, throw a ridiculous price out there and see who blinks first :-).

Lol - I'm hoping you're right!

I have to respectfully disagree with many of the opinions above...

It's very well known that RCL pricing have been the highest in recent years, specifically since the latest "sale". So the "normal" prices from last year are now looking like bargains compared to booking today. In previous years, those "normal" prices booked 12-18 months in advance were for the most part double what I would end up paying for most every cruise I have been on with RCL by waiting until after final payment date. The key is being flexible with time and date, and also with your cabin location (ie. GTY cabins, inside vs. balcony deals, etc)... and also have 3 to 4 cruises in mind as plan A or B might not go down in price at all!!! (Happened to me two yrs ago, waiting for price drops on 2 specific itineraries and both went up... so did plan C trip instead and turned out to be one of my top 5 cruises :D)

Over the past 4 years, I have consistently booked for less money than booking early early by waiting until after final payment date, both solo and double occupancy. 6-8 weeks before sailing is the sweet spot with airfare as well. The current Allure pricing for the Going,Going,Gone weekly sale is a perfect reminder of that... and those prices are "for new bookings only".

I have seen some of the best pricing of the year for cruises starting Nov 30 through to Dec 10th if booked in October for example. personally, the current pricing offered by RCL are much higher than the previous few years so either (a) supply and demand is taking over as more cruisers are booking with Royal vs. other cruise lines or (b) there's a big marketing game at play. I pick B at this point, considering prices have just increased by 50-100% in the last month since the BOGOHO sale. I personally saw some writing on the wall this year, and only some of the BOGOHO sale prices were the best I have ever seen, so for the first time ever I have 4 cruises booked (max I've ever had was 2 and that was only once)

Who knows where prices will go, but the Going Going Gone sale prices are still decent for most of the sailings. Just my 2 cents. Have a great cruise!!! :)

We have tried both booking 12-18 months out and quite last min. like less then a month out. What I have been seeing lately is some good last min. deals.

The only thing is you need to be flexible with your dates...and not be too picky with the cabins....

Just recently we booked Alaska on the Radiance B2B for under $500 p/p each way. We booked interior but got outside for that price and got $100 OBC each way. It was very last min. less than a month out. Our big advantage was no flight needed as we live in Vancouver.

I hope the same thing happens with Dec.....Good Luck!

I have to respectfully disagree with many of the opinions above...

It's very well known that RCL pricing have been the highest in recent years, specifically since the latest "sale". So the "normal" prices from last year are now looking like bargains compared to booking today. In previous years, those "normal" prices booked 12-18 months in advance were for the most part double what I would end up paying for most every cruise I have been on with RCL by waiting until after final payment date. The key is being flexible with time and date, and also with your cabin location (ie. GTY cabins, inside vs. balcony deals, etc)... and also have 3 to 4 cruises in mind as plan A or B might not go down in price at all!!! (Happened to me two yrs ago, waiting for price drops on 2 specific itineraries and both went up... so did plan C trip instead and turned out to be one of my top 5 cruises :D)

Over the past 4 years, I have consistently booked for less money than booking early early by waiting until after final payment date, both solo and double occupancy. 6-8 weeks before sailing is the sweet spot with airfare as well. The current Allure pricing for the Going,Going,Gone weekly sale is a perfect reminder of that... and those prices are "for new bookings only".

I have seen some of the best pricing of the year for cruises starting Nov 30 through to Dec 10th if booked in October for example. personally, the current pricing offered by RCL are much higher than the previous few years so either (a) supply and demand is taking over as more cruisers are booking with Royal vs. other cruise lines or (b) there's a big marketing game at play. I pick B at this point, considering prices have just increased by 50-100% in the last month since the BOGOHO sale. I personally saw some writing on the wall this year, and only some of the BOGOHO sale prices were the best I have ever seen, so for the first time ever I have 4 cruises booked (max I've ever had was 2 and that was only once)

Who knows where prices will go, but the Going Going Gone sale prices are still decent for most of the sailings. Just my 2 cents. Have a great

cruise!!! :)

Thanks! I have a few backups as we are available that week or the next. I have also typically always booked after final payment but never that time of year. I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees how high prices are right now! I've been following the prices for a few months too.

Maybe one day we can plan more in advance but with an infant at home and hopes to have another there is no way to plan a year out!

I support you skeptics it is not as easy to get a deal as it used to be, the Oasis class has been very successful and has maintained higher pricing than I expected. I know that is why they are building more of the bigger ships because their cost per guest I believe is less on the bigger ships and when they can sell it at higher prices that is more money in there pockets.

There are still deals out there you have to be watching all the time I sailed solo on Enchantment last September for $ 184 inc tax and got a $ 50 obc in a inside of course, for 4 nights it was great. I was looking for a 7 day cruise on Jewel in Sept. in a balcony for two was $ 1310 all in with Choice air at 404 pp direct from Toronto. I thought that was a excellent.

enough rambling, happy hunting

Brian J