Freedom of the Seas drydock

The contractor that built the terminal said that he wants to get you from the seat of your vehicle to the ship in about 8 1/2 minutes. He is correct, but he forgot to say from the time that you arrive at the terminal area which is another story. We had about a 12-14 minute wait to be dropped off.The bus/shuttle area is a little further to the east and not large and friends of ours used a shuttle and had a 30 minute wait. POV dropoff is under cover (Parking Garage above) and right near the embarkation doors. The vehicle traffic is common to embarkation / disembarkation, but the doors are not. The screening was fast.

Bob E

Thanks Bob -- what time did you get to the terminal? We will be early as we are staying in Cape Canaveral?

That is definitely encouraging :)
Don't know if she will be picked up by Marine Traffic tomorrow but she will be as she makes her way up the FL coast. It used to be that she passed the Palm Beach area around 10 PM but it has been later during the last year prior to drydock.

21.5 knots at last position reported on Marinetraffic.com from 20 minutes ago.

Sea currents will determine a lot. So hopefully it has following winds and current. The opposite effected it going to St Thomas in December. The ship had to fight its way to St Thomas, so it was late even though it left the other port earlier. H

Sea currents will determine a lot. So hopefully it has following winds and current. The opposite effected it going to St Thomas in December. The ship had to fight its way to St Thomas, so it was late even though it left the other port earlier. H

Yes, but it is downhill from Nassau to St. Thomas.

This speed is kind of funny verses the 6 to 8 Knots we just experienced from island to island on the Adventure. H

Slower speed required when the ship is basically floating to the next port. The islands are pretty close to one another on the southern route.

[ATTACH]339379[/ATTACH]

FYI saw this on Instagram. Is this the new cabin?

There are good pictures of the new cabins on Navigator which are the same as FOS. See http://www.familytravelphotos.com/tr...ibbean-cruise/

and also see these great pics from a cabin crawl

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=44057348#post44057348

We have 1852 right at the front of the ship. Cheers!

Thanks Bob -- what time did you get to the terminal? We will be early as we are staying in Cape Canaveral?

We arrived about noon.

The currents can be odd. Two months ago I was bottom fishing about 25 miles southeast of Port Canaveral. There was a very strong current from the northwest. I had a 4 oz sinker and the line was going at a 45 degree to the southeast - very strange. About that same time the FOS had reported strong currents as a problem for being late.

Hope for the best!

Bob E

We arrived about noon.

The currents can be odd. Two months ago I was bottom fishing about 25 miles southeast of Port Canaveral. There was a very strong current from the northwest. I had a 4 oz sinker and the line was going at a 45 degree to the southeast - very strange. About that same time the FOS had reported strong currents as a problem for being late.

Hope for the best!

Bob E

There's a counter-current on each side of the Stream. The Stream can shift towards shore or offshore, and these counter-currents will shift with them.

We're still cruising at around 20 kts as we head back to Port Canaveral. Last night we were heading into a 25 kt head wind (resultant wind 45 kts) with 10-12 ft seas and they closed all of the outside decks with the exception of the pool deck. A bunch of kids were having a fun swimming in the pool and getting sloshed from side to side. There was also a couple enjoying their time in the cantilevered "wave pool" hot tub. The ship was rocking and I slept like a baby. They are still expecting an on time arrival tomorrow morning. Capt Ron and the senior officers had an informal meet and greet at the Cafe Promenade this morning. As our resident CC Chief Engineer (chengKP75) mentioned, they are using the Gulfstream to their benefit. It has a northeasterly flow for our route until we get near the Bahamas. I asked them if the had a fix and he indicated that they have one that can be implemented via inside access (i.e., no dry dock). He did not provide an estimate time schedule for the fix, but I think it will be relatively quick (less than 30 days - my opinion). I asked if he expected an modified port call times until the ship is fixed and he doesn't foresee any problems, as long as the wind and currents cooperate. With the overhauled Azipods and clean hull, he says he can push the 2 Azipods to full power cruise all day long and get over 19 kts.

We're still cruising at around 20 kts as we head back to Port Canaveral. Last night we were heading into a 25 kt head wind (resultant wind 45 kts) with 10-12 ft seas and they closed all of the outside decks with the exception of the pool deck. A bunch of kids were having a fun swimming in the pool and getting sloshed from side to side. There was also a couple enjoying their time in the cantilevered "wave pool" hot tub. The ship was rocking and I slept like a baby. They are still expecting an on time arrival tomorrow morning. Capt Ron and the senior officers had an informal meet and greet at the Cafe Promenade this morning. As our resident CC Chief Engineer (chengKP75) mentioned, they are using the Gulfstream to their benefit. It has a northeasterly flow for our route until we get near the Bahamas. I asked them if the had a fix and he indicated that they have one that can be implemented via inside access (i.e., no dry dock). He did not provide an estimate time schedule for the fix, but I think it will be relatively quick (less than 30 days - my opinion). I asked if he expected an modified port call times until the ship is fixed and he doesn't foresee any problems, as long as the wind and currents cooperate. With the overhauled Azipods and clean hull, he says he can push the 2 Azipods to full power cruise all day long and get over 19 kts.

Thanks for the update Barklee! That is great news! Is that 30 days from the start of your cruise, or 30 days from today?

Thanks for the update Barklee! That is great news! Is that 30 days from the start of your cruise, or 30 days from today?

I think he said the parts are already being fabricated, so I would hope they'd have them in hand within a week from today (my interpretation, not a direct quote from the Capt). He did confirm that ABB was on the hook for the repair.

Thanks for the update. Did Captain Ron or one of the other officers say what time their "on-time arrival" is projected to be?

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't heard whether you left Cozumel early. Thanks for taking the time to post during your cruise.