help with La Paz visit

sonnenschein

Our November cruise on the Star will visit La Paz, Mexico from 7am to 2pm. The port is about 20 min. by car from the city. The tours Princess offers have walking and step climbing included which Is very hard for my elderly husband. He walks extremely slow with the help of a cain and I don't think any of the tours will work for him.Are there taxi's easily available at the port that could drive us around and show us the city and waterfront for about 2 hours and then return us back to the ship. Are they reliable to get us back in time and will they take U.S. dollars, or do we need to take Pesos. Also how many Pesos would we need for a 2 hour taxi ride. If you been to La Paz I would appreciate any advise you could give me. Gloria

Princess has coach shuttles to/from La Paz that take about 30 minutes in each direction.

I took a whale watching tour in the morning and then browsed the vendor stalls at the pier. Got some nice jewelry there as well as a nice small woven bag that's perfect for my iPad Mini while on the ship.

Always establish the price before getting into a taxi in Mexico or any other location. They accept US$ readily. Make sure though that your us$ are in good condition as they may not accept torn or severely worn bills. Bring small denominations as you may get change back in Mexican$. Anything more than a $20 bill will almost always not be accepted particularly at small establishments. A walk along the malecon is really nice.

Princess has coach shuttles to/from La Paz that take about 30 minutes in each direction.

I took a whale watching tour in the morning and then browsed the vendor stalls at the pier. Got some nice jewelry there as well as a nice small woven bag that's perfect for my iPad Mini while on the ship.

Very cool. We are on the same cruise. Are the Princess shuttles free? If not, do you remember how much they cost?

I have no issue with taking a shuttle into town and then poking around. I don't think Princess offers much in the way of excursions in this port. Whale watching or snorkeling is, I think, about it.

Pam,

Do you remember if there are any beaches close by either the port or the town? My wife might enjoy a dip in the sea and some time lazing on a beach.

Edited by Thrak

Shuttles are free. They use coach busses and there are a few steps up to the seats. They either go to town or the other direction to the beach. The Malecon in town is nice.

They drop you off at the bus station in town. Show your ship card to take the bus back to the ship.

Don't remember independent tours offered at port but there were tours offered on the street near the station.

When we were in La Paz in March Mom, on her own, walked around town.

Edited by SadieN

Shuttles are free. They use coach busses and there are a few steps up to the seats.

They drop you off at the bus station in town. Show your ship card to take the bus back to the ship.

Don't remember independent tours offered at port but there were tours offered on the street near the station.

When we were in La Paz in March Mom, on her own, walked around town.

On our cruise in March they changed our departure time from 2:00 to 1:00. Even before noon, the line to catch a return bus was very long. We waited in line about 45 minutes. Once you got into the bus terminal there were some chairs. DH could probably sit there while you waited in line. The bus trip was closer to 45 minutes on the narrow, winding road.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We went on a kayaking trip, although it ended up being a little disappointing as the guides were not very cognizant of all the different levels of fitness in their guests. But, the point being, the beach from where we departed seemed to only be about 15 minutes from the port -- in the opposite direction from the town -- and it was stunning. Crystal clear turquoise water with powdery white sand beach, albeit a very small beach on that side of the bay. There were others there not on the kayaking tour basking in the sun. There were no services there, though....no outhouses or water for sale....but a beautiful area nonetheless. I couldn't believe it was on the west side of Mexico...a far cry from Mazatlan, that's for sure.

Our November cruise on the Star will visit La Paz, Mexico from 7am to 2pm. The port is about 20 min. by car from the city. The tours Princess offers have walking and step climbing included which Is very hard for my elderly husband. He walks extremely slow with the help of a cain and I don't think any of the tours will work for him.Are there taxi's easily available at the port that could drive us around and show us the city and waterfront for about 2 hours and then return us back to the ship. Are they reliable to get us back in time and will they take U.S. dollars, or do we need to take Pesos. Also how many Pesos would we need for a 2 hour taxi ride. If you been to La Paz I would appreciate any advise you could give me. Gloria

Water temp will be chili in November.