Dressing for S.E. Asia

KLLund

We are going to SE Asia in September. I have read that conservative with shoulders, elbows and knees covered for the myriad of places of worship that are "must sees" particularly in Vietnam.

I am collecting a wardrobe for on the ship (got that one covered from prior cruises) and sightseeing in port. For the later, I am doing gauzy skirts that come mid calf with tee shirts or tank/comisole type of shirts. I am looking for some sort of VERY lightweight shrug or structured shawl or such. I would love to find the shawl type of thing that could fit easily in a tote bag but I am not having a lot of luck ... they seem to be either really long or not wide enough to really cover shoulders and elbow.

Looking for suggestions .. anyone :)

I am looking for some sort of VERY lightweight shrug or structured shawl or such. I would love to find the shawl type of thing that could fit easily in a tote bag but I am not having a lot of luck ... they seem to be either really long or not wide enough to really cover shoulders and elbow.

Looking for suggestions .. anyone :)

Are you serious? You can't seem to find a shawl or shrug in your stores? When traveling overseas as a woman I stick to long maxi dresses/skirts, not so much for temple modesty but for "squatty potty" ease. :D Seriously, a long flowing skirts make primitive bathrooms sooo much easier.

Here is an example from macys of a simple shrug.

http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/bcx-short-sleeve-bolero-shrug?ID=1268938&CategoryID=20853#fn=sp%3D1%26spc%3D7%26kws%3Dshrug%26slotId%3D6

I have traveled extensively through SE Asia and while I may not always have the perfect outfit I always travel with two wraps that I bought for less the $5 per piece. One I can wrap around my waist like a skirt and the other I can wrap around my shoulders if needed. I usually dress fairly conservatively, so I really only need a one or the other.

I think the major problem is that what I am finding are a heavier weight than I really want .. I don't want chiffon lite but I don't want a knit or pashmina weight either... I actually have the very shrug you linked, but it looks odd with the gauzy skirts .. I am wearing hip length tees/tanks with them and it is an awkward length. I also have some maxi type dresses to choose from and will be taking at least one.

I just feel like skirts will be easier (cooler) than pants and shorts etc .. on land.

I think the major problem is that what I am finding are a heavier weight than I really want .. I don't want chiffon lite but I don't want a knit or pashmina weight either... I actually have the very shrug you linked, but it looks odd with the gauzy skirts .. I am wearing hip length tees/tanks with them and it is an awkward length. I also have some maxi type dresses to choose from and will be taking at least one.

I just feel like skirts will be easier (cooler) than pants and shorts etc .. on land.

The shrug in my post should go with just about everything. Are you wearing some sort of see through skirt that would be better suited to a strip club which then begs the question if it is appropriate for a conservative SE Asia sacred site? The main point is to have a simple foldable/crushable shrug that you can slip on while entering conservative temples since you will already be wearing a long skirt or capri pans. I personally love having a shrug and a shawl. I can cover my shoulders with a shrug then can easily cover my head with a shawl as needed in ultra-conservative settings.

KLLUND, my wife and I have been to Asia many times including the year.

In general shorts and shirts with some type of short sliver were perfectly fine. What areas are you asking about?

Keith

Keith .. In particular visiting some of the Temples in Vietnam. I can ASSURE you I am not talking about stipper skirts .. sigh .. but I did read that you should have shoulders and knees covered and another source says knees elbows and shoulders .. none of them seemed to say head though. Is that incorrect in actual practice?

Thanks Kathy

The shrug in my post should go with just about everything. Are you wearing some sort of see through skirt that would be better suited to a strip club which then begs the question if it is appropriate for a conservative SE Asia sacred site? The main point is to have a simple foldable/crushable shrug that you can slip on while entering conservative temples since you will already be wearing a long skirt or capri pans. I personally love having a shrug and a shawl. I can cover my shoulders with a shrug then can easily cover my head with a shawl as needed in ultra-conservative settings.

I assure you I am not wearing see through anything and I find the strip club reference insulting.

I don't find that that shrug goes with anything but I suspect we have a different idea of what works in a fashion sense if you believe that.

Perhaps we will just agree to disagree, but thank you for the suggestions.

Keith .. In particular visiting some of the Temples in Vietnam. I can ASSURE you I am not talking about stipper skirts .. sigh .. but I did read that you should have shoulders and knees covered and another source says knees elbows and shoulders .. none of them seemed to say head though. Is that incorrect in actual practice?

Thanks Kathy

Kathy, the Temples that we have visited in Vietnam were in Ho Chi Minh City and also near De Nang. My wife and I each wore shorts and we each hat a sleeve top. This was perfectly fine.

Depending on when you are visiting, it can be very hot.

Keith

KLLund, I just finished going through photos that I took from our visits to the temples in Vietnam.

In general people wore a mix of shorts, skirts, and pants. Locals tend to wear long pants and tourist did not. Locals also wear long sleeve shirts which I always find amazing because it is so hot. I am not sure if some of this has more to do with the sun and dirt as many do this on the motor cycles they drive around town. In general tourists work a polo type of shirt for those who were in pants/shorts with short sleeves.

Keith

In Vietnam the local girls wear long sleeved tops and shady hats because they don't want to get a tan. A pale skin is prized there.

I didn't have much of a problem in Vietnam but I always wear long pants and short sleeved tshirts. In India I carried a very light, wide scarf that folded up very small. It was wide enough to use as a shawl or as a head covering. This sort of scarf http://www.amazon.com/niceeshop-Fashion-Flower-Chinese-Chiffon/dp/B00JW7T5CG

The only temples that required covered heads were the Muslim temples in India.

Another option is to carry a very light sarong which doubles as a skirt or a shawl.

Many temples require you to remove your shoes and go barefoot although socks may be allowed.

I rarely wear shorts when I travel - always choose sundresses or skirts, and nothing shorter than knee. Ankle when I know it will be necessary (eg we went to Meteora monasteries on a Black Sea cruise a couple years ago). Personally, I bring a button down shirt or a scarf as my over-layer for warmth or modesty because that's what I will have packed anyway.

There are open weave crochet shrugs like this from Kohls - still too hot?http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1675468/daisy-fuentes-open-front-shrug-womens-plus.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1643910/croft-barrow-pointelle-open-front-shrug-womens.jsp

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-1756785/elle-pointelle-cropped-cardigan-womens.jsp

This is an evening option from Nordstrom so not for day time tours but too light? http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/alex-evenings-hanky-bolero/3718433?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=&resultback=200&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_2_D

Ooh - love this - it's an open weave linen!! http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chaus-open-front-pointelle-linen-shrug/3794769?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=RICH+BLACK&resultback=1700&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_6_A

Here's another chiffon that is more casual http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/city-chic-chiffon-shrug-plus-size/3735136?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=&resultback=2200&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_7_A

PS I have a ton of cheap rayon wraps I've picked up on my travels over the years, or at TJ Maxx or the thrift store:p Many of them are quite large, but light weight. I also have some cotton indian print scarves (square, but large enough to wrap a triangle over my shoulders & tie in front) and some large sarongs that can be worn on my shoulders if needed. There are many more "weight" options for scarves between cashmere or chiffon.

I rarely wear shorts when I travel - always choose sundresses or skirts, and nothing shorter than knee. Ankle when I know it will be necessary (eg we went to Meteora monasteries on a Black Sea cruise a couple years ago). Personally, I bring a button down shirt or a scarf as my over-layer for warmth or modesty because that's what I will have packed anyway.

Ooh - love this - it's an open weave linen!! http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/chaus-open-front-pointelle-linen-shrug/3794769?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=2375500&fashionColor=RICH+BLACK&resultback=1700&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-searchresults-_-1_6_A

That is more what I had in mind .. the length is good and the open weave would be nice and light. I need to run to Nordstrom today anyway so I will look to see if they have it .. thank you

KLLund, I just finished going through photos that I took from our visits to the temples in Vietnam.

In general people wore a mix of shorts, skirts, and pants. Locals tend to wear long pants and tourist did not. Locals also wear long sleeve shirts which I always find amazing because it is so hot. I am not sure if some of this has more to do with the sun and dirt as many do this on the motor cycles they drive around town. In general tourists work a polo type of shirt for those who were in pants/shorts with short sleeves.

Keith

Keith - the long sleeves and long pants work well in hot areas because of the evaporative cooling process. I learned this on my trip in Egypt. I had my zip pants and my long sleeved Ex-Officio Airstrip shirts. I had fully planned to just wear the shorts portions of the pants most of the time and the shirts with the sleeves rolled up. One day, I wore it all and I was surprised at how I kept cool. Yes, I sweated, but the sweat kept me cool instead of evaporating in the sun. More skin exposed, the more hot I felt after that… shorts and tank tops are no longer part of my travel wardrobe.

Kathy,

What an amazing trip you have coming up. I'm just pea green with envy! It sounds so exciting (especially the part about you wearing stripper clothes):)...Seriously, I'm so sorry that people have to be so nasty with their replies, when you asked a very simple and direct question. Hope you find exactly what you are looking for....from what I have seen you could never insult anyone with the way you dress. Have a wonderful cruise and keep us posted on all the beautiful things you plan to wear.

Thank you for starting this topic, KLLund. I will be in Southeast Asia in Sept. on the Sapphire Princess, and had the same question. I plan on wearing capris and knit tops, most of which have sleeves. I have several shawls to carry with me.

Edited by whatsup6897

When we were in Hanoi there didn't seem to be any specific clothing restrictions for temples, but we did wear long pants or long shorts. Few shorts were worn by the Vietnamese except some of the younger men. It was spring and not terribly hot, more 70ish. Longer skirts are always a good choice too.

We did have to cover legs, arms, etc. in Thailand, and take off shoes. At many temples simple wraps were provided for visitors. I think Vietnam is much more secular than Thailand and the temples are more true places of worship rather than historical structures.

As to shrugs, gosh, I am seeing them all over this year, often on sale now. I have seen very lightweight open weave examples quite a bit; they'd be very easy to slip into a bag. I love wearing shrugs or short sweaters to complete a look or cover my arms. I'm not sure why so many designers make so many sleeveless dresses; we're not all 20 anymore.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser

I did find exactly what I was looking for .. it is a little shrug that is heavier than chiffon but much lighter than a knit jersey .. it comes just below the elbow and will fit in any purse or tote.

I bought skirts and tops, dresses and maxi-dresses for this cruise.. it seemed more sensible than packing heavy jeans or shorts and tanks. Should be cool and won't be a problem if it rains.

Whatsup6897 which date are you cruising on the Sapphire .. we join the ship on Sept 11 .. am I just not remembering your name from our roll-call or are you on a different sailing.

Edited by KLLund

Whatsup6897 which date are you cruising on the Sapphire .. we join the ship on Sept 11 .. am I just not remembering your name from our roll-call or are you on a different sailing.

We are sailing on the 3rd out of Shanghai, so we will be on board when you embark in Hong Kong.