Confiscating duty free alcohol

When boarding the ship with our 1 litre bottle of spirits each, would they really bother confiscating it? Especially simce we have purchased the premium drinks package each so us drinking our own stuff would save RCI money!

However, if you are boarding the ship at a port other than your initial port of embarkation, they would hold the bottle and give it back at the end of the cruise.

You say liquor in the US and we say spirits in the UK, same thing. We call wine, wine.

For avoidance of doubt, in respect of bringing on alcoholic drinks, you are allowed to bring wine/champagne on board at boarding, nothing else.

Q: Can I bring alcohol or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) on board?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring beer, spirits or non-alcoholic beverages aboard for consumption or any other use. Guests may bring personal wine and champagne onboard only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of USD 25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought aboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from onboard shops will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soft drinks bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consume, supply alcohol to people aged under 21, demonstrate irresponsible behaviour or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and/or luggage check points or at any other time) may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests who are under the permitted drinking age will not have alcohol returned to them.

Edited by robinp

However, if you are boarding the ship at a port other than your initial port of embarkation, they would hold the bottle and give it back at the end of the cruise.

I am thinking about the duty free at Gibraltar to purchase some tax free alcohol to take home. I'd have no intention of drinking it on the ship, I want to get my full money's worth from my premium drinks package. It doesn't worry me that they'll confiscate it as long as I get it back but I wondee why they'd bother for people who aren't purchasing drinks onboard anyway.

I am thinking about the duty free at Gibraltar to purchase some tax free alcohol to take home. I'd have no intention of drinking it on the ship, I want to get my full money's worth from my premium drinks package. It doesn't worry me that they'll confiscate it as long as I get it back but I wondee why they'd bother for people who aren't purchasing drinks onboard anyway.

I believe the prohibition against bottles of spirits in part comes from a liability exposure they got burned with a while back.

Maybe someone with a drinks package is on the same cruise as their friends who don't have a drinks package. What's to stop someone from bringing alcohol on and then handing it over to their friends? It's easier to just enforce the rule across the board.

One reason would be; what's to stop you from bringing the bottle on and giving it to someone who HAS NOT purchased the drinks package?

Maybe someone with a drinks package is on the same cruise as their friends who don't have a drinks package. What's to stop someone from bringing alcohol on and then handing it over to their friends? It's easier to just enforce the rule across the board.

or their own or others under 21s. . .

When boarding the ship with our 1 litre bottle of spirits each, would they really bother confiscating it? Especially simce we have purchased the premium drinks package each so us drinking our own stuff would save RCI money!

Yes, they will. I witness security walking off with someone's confiscated bottle during our recent embarkation.

One reason would be; what's to stop you from bringing the bottle on and giving it to someone who HAS NOT purchased the drinks package?

Not just that, but they have a responsibility to cut off people who are becoming obviously intoxicated. Can't have drunken folks wobbling around causing scenes or falling overboard. When you have to interact with a bartender they can take steps to slow you down. Having your own bottles available is a recipe for trouble.

Many people buy alcohol or "spirits":) in port and it is held and returned the last evening or the morning just prior to leaving the ship.

enjoy

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

I'd not thought of all those naughty things you could do with a bottle of Baileys and a bottle of Jack Daniels. I promise I wasn't going to sneak them for my 7 year old to drink and we're cruising without friends so no worries on that score.

Thanks everyone! Nine days to go!!!!! :)