Set Sail Pass Irritation

I usually don't like to bring up stuff about cruising just because it wasn't perfect. I am good without perfection (especially in regards to cruising - something unexpected always pops up and we take it in stride). However, we are getting ready for our B2B on the Freedom and I printed out our Set Sail Passes which brought up a memory of our last cruise.

We got an upgrade after I had already printed out all the documentation including the Set Sail Pass. After the upgrade I removed the old passes from our paperwork with plans of replacing them with the new. Somehow I missed that part. The day of embarkation we arrived early and were one of the first cruisers in line.

Once they let us in I was thinking, "This is great! We will be on the ship in minutes". HA! When we went to check-in I didn't have the the pass. Silly me in thinking since I entered my information online that they would still have my information in the system for me to check-in. I had obviously forgotten who I was dealing with. I was told they do not have access to the information I entered for the Set Sail Pass. Here I thought they could just print out another pass for me to sign if they "really" needed a wet signature. "It's all part of the experience" I said and proceeded to move out of line to fill out all the paperwork again.

We were on the ship maybe 20 minutes after we could've been, so it was not a big deal. But being in software engineering for the past 16 years my expectations are usually quite different than some. Knowing what is possible with existing technology leaves me somewhat baffled how organizations lack the simple ability to provide services that do not include paper. Why send me to a site to enter my information, just to print out a document? If I enter the information through an online form why is that information not readily available at check-in? Imagine if your online reservation required you to print out your paperwork and mail it in, or even better fax it (does that still exist? :p )

Like I said, nothing too crazy about the situation in the sense it didn't affect much, but it is more about the principle of simple solutions for a better user/customer experience.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I usually don't like to bring up stuff about cruising just because it wasn't perfect. I am good without perfection (especially in regards to cruising - something unexpected always pops up and we take it in stride). However, we are getting ready for our B2B on the Freedom and I printed out our Set Sail Passes which brought up a memory of our last cruise.

We got an upgrade after I had already printed out all the documentation including the Set Sail Pass. After the upgrade I removed the old passes from our paperwork with plans of replacing them with the new. Somehow I missed that part. The day of embarkation we arrived early and were one of the first cruisers in line.

Once they let us in I was thinking, "This is great! We will be on the ship in minutes". HA! When we went to check-in I didn't have the the pass. Silly me in thinking since I entered my information online that they would still have my information in the system for me to check-in. I had obviously forgotten who I was dealing with. I was told they do not have access to the information I entered for the Set Sail Pass. Here I thought they could just print out another pass for me to sign if they "really" needed a wet signature. "It's all part of the experience" I said and proceeded to move out of line to fill out all the paperwork again.

We were on the ship maybe 20 minutes after we could've been, so it was not a big deal. But being in software engineering for the past 16 years my expectations are usually quite different than some. Knowing what is possible with existing technology leaves me somewhat baffled how organizations lack the simple ability to provide services that do not include paper. Why send me to a site to enter my information, just to print out a document? If I enter the information through an online form why is that information not readily available at check-in? Imagine if your online reservation required you to print out your paperwork and mail it in, or even better fax it (does that still exist? :p )

Like I said, nothing too crazy about the situation in the sense it didn't affect much, but it is more about the principle of simple solutions for a better user/customer experience.

At checkin they see if you have completed it, not what it is. They do not have access to all your personal information for your protection. You should appreciate that. They use your set sail pass for access to see that you have provided all the correct info, but not the specifics. Would you really want them to be able to pull up all your info? The better user/customer experience happens if you complete everything and have it ready when you check-in.

And, as you said, it really doesn't take much time to complete it there, although we've never had to.

Edited by BND

Congratulations on the upgrade. I would love to have that problem. ;)

Gwen :)

I'm trying to remember how we interact when we approach the check-in counter. Don't they scan a bar code that is printed on the boarding pass to pull up our records?

Somehow they figure out who we are but I never really paid attention due to just being excited to be standing at the check-in counter once again. No paper work, no bar code.

Guest maddycat
I'm trying to remember how we interact when we approach the check-in counter. Don't they scan a bar code that is printed on the boarding pass to pull up our records?

Somehow they figure out who we are but I never really paid attention due to just being excited to be standing at the check-in counter once again. No paper work, no bar code.

That's what I seem to remember. The bar code on your set sail pass is scanned.

If I enter the information through an online form why is that information not readily available at check-in? Imagine if your online reservation required you to print out your paperwork and mail it in, or even better fax it (does that still exist? :p )

Because all the information that you entered while doing your on-line check in is contained in the bar code that is located in the upper right hand corner of your SetSail Pass. That bar code is scanned when you hand it in at check-in. This is done for your protection.

Edited by cruisenfever

I guess I'll get pulled into this one. Debates on forums are like clapping with hand, not exactly productive. Anyway, It's not more secure because the information they pull up is viewable on their screen. Ask them to show you next time. Perhaps each terminal is different (would hope not, but you never know), but I know in PR they see the information. If they are worried about security why even have the paper form which the agent sees?

Just like a QR code, a bar code contains information to make a process or access to information more efficient. In other words I should just be able to use my smart phone for them to scan from my screen. Anyone try that? Good luck. They look at you like you have worms coming out of your ears. But of course they do, they need your signature on that piece of paper. Again the paper form has signature lines. Also not necessary. Digital signatures have been around for a long time (15+ years - maybe more).

Regardless, I'm sure most of you could care less about this ordeal, and really I don't care all that much either as I originally posted. But, sometimes technological inefficiencies just have to be brought up. It's 2014 and for an industry in which cruise ships are so technologically advanced they are behind the times in some instances (not all).

It's amazing we put a man on the moon, but have yet to figure out how absolutely unnecessary paper is. :D

Edited by lv2bcruzin

But of course they do, they need your signature on that piece of paper. Again the paper form has signature lines. Also not necessary. Digital signatures have been around for a long time (15+ years - maybe more).

Not all set/sail passes have a signature line. The one I printed out for my cruise the end of this month, has no signature line. I will wait until I get to the terminal to find out where or even if I have to sign it. I heard they will simply scan the bar code at check-in. We will see. :rolleyes: Not everyone is getting this kind of s/s pass. Might be something new they are trying randomly.

I think most of you seem to have missed the point ???

I think the OP is simply saying Royal's IT systems could have made this check in issue/process easier and more timely if it was used to its full ability.

We all know this is true based on their recent website issues etc.

Good on the OP for making this point :-)

Edited by delirious9876

I think most of you seem to have missed the point ???

I think the OP is simply saying Royal's IT systems could have made this check in issue/process easier and more timely if it was used to its full ability.

We all know this is true based on their recent website issues etc.

Good on the OP for making this point :-)

We don't actually know what the "full ability" of their IT system is. It really depends on how the systems are programmed. In a perfect world, then maybe it would work the way OP WANTS it to, but it doesn't.

What point? That it helps to fill out your online check in correctly? Or that even if you don't, it doesn't take much time at all to do it at checkin?

Edited by BND

I don't bother to print out my set sail pass until just days before the cruise date.

The reason? I lurk until just before the cruise to see if I can upgrade. Sometimes it is

just a more preferred location cabin change when they release additional cabins that

were held by TAs that could not sell their block of cabins. Sometimes I am able to grab upgrades

due to left over deals. Either way, I would never show up at check in without a current cabin

assignment set sail pass print out.

Wow...after all...it is just one printed out page. :rolleyes:

Edited by island lady

I don't bother to print out my set sail pass until just days before the cruise date.

The reason? I lurk until just before the cruise to see if I can upgrade. Sometimes it is

just a more preferred location cabin change when they release additional cabins that

were held by TAs that could not sell their block of cabins. Sometimes I am able to grab upgrades

due to left over deals. Either way, I would never show up at check in without a current cabin

assignment set sail pass print out.

Wow...after all...it is just one printed out page. :rolleyes:

I am venturing to guess those of you who think the process is fine are also the same as those who think "this is the way we've always done it" (yes I know it has changed and it's not been this way since the first cruise set sail). There's always room for improvement is my point. Especially in the realm of technology. I deal with this everyday. How can we make the user/customer experience better, waste less time, be more efficient and let the user/customer get on with other parts of their life. Sometimes it's a bad process and the process needs to be improved first without worrying about technology. Taking a bad process and adding technology only allows us to complete a bad process faster. :p

You say it's only one piece of paper. How many people cruise per year? Having everyone print out one piece of paper is a gigantic waste. Same reason they now have a PDF to download for cruise docs instead of the old mailers.

Work smarter not harder. It applies just about everywhere in life and it definitely applies here.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

We don't actually know what the "full ability" of their IT system is. It really depends on how the systems are programmed. In a perfect world, then maybe it would work the way OP WANTS it to, but it doesn't.

What point? That it helps to fill out your online check in correctly? Or that even if you don't, it doesn't take much time at all to do it at checkin?

That's the point. Regardless of the abilities of the technology they have in place, there is technology that exists to ensure a more efficient process and waste less time.

I get not everyone worries about this stuff, but I can guarantee RCI does. If you are happy with it, great. But, there are always opportunities to improve a process.

Not all set/sail passes have a signature line. The one I printed out for my cruise the end of this month, has no signature line. I will wait until I get to the terminal to find out where or even if I have to sign it. I heard they will simply scan the bar code at check-in. We will see. :rolleyes: Not everyone is getting this kind of s/s pass. Might be something new they are trying randomly.

I have seen that going around as well. Even more useless to print out if a signature is not required. :)

I am venturing to guess those of you who think the process is fine are also the same as those who think "this is the way we've always done it" (yes I know it has changed and it's not been this way since the first cruise set sail). There's always room for improvement is my point. Especially in the realm of technology for. I deal with this everyday. How can we make the user/customer experience better, waste less time, be more efficient and let the user/customer get on with other parts of their life. Sometimes it's a bad process and the process needs to be improved first without worrying about technology. Taking a bad process and adding technology only allows us to complete a bad process faster. :p

You say it's only one piece of paper. How many people cruise per year? Having everyone print out one piece of paper is a gigantic waste. Same reason they now have a PDF to download for cruise docs instead of the old mailers.

Work smarter not harder. It applies just about everywhere in life and it definitely applies here.

Ahh..very good. And in the time it took for you to print out this message, I printed

out my single page set sail pass for my cruise next week.

I hope you get to change the world. More power to you. Good for you! ;)

Edited by island lady

Ahh..very good. And in the time it took for you to print out this message, I printed

out my single page set sail pass for my cruise next week.

I hope you get to change the world. More power to you. Good for you! ;)

I too can't wait for the day where I can drive 10 miles an hour under the speed limit with no where in particular to go, with no plans other than waking up and without regard to how much time I have in my day to get things done. It will be a wonderful time in my life indeed. :)

Until then, get me on the ship as fast as possible!!! :D :D :D :D

Edited by lv2bcruzin

I too can't wait for the day where I can drive 10 miles an hour under the speed limit with no where in particular to go, with no plans other than waking up and without regard to how much time I have in my day to get things done. It will be a wonderful time in my life indeed. :)

Until then, get me on the ship as fast as possible!!! :D

Today, I swear to use one less section of Bounty paper towels just

for you. :p :p

Enjoy your slow cruise down the highway. :D

Today, I swear to use one less section of Bounty paper towels just

for you. :p :p

Enjoy your slow cruise down the highway. :D

Woohoo! That's the spirit. (It's more about printing less though ;) )

I am more looking forward to my slow cruise through the Eastern & Western Caribbean in 5 weeks! :D I hope I don't forget my Set Sail Pass. :p

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Woohoo! That's the spirit. (It's more about printing less though ;) )

I am more looking forward to my slow cruise through the Eastern & Western Caribbean in 5 weeks! :D I hope I don't forget my Set Sail Pass. :p

You are so funny! Thanks for the laugh, and I hope I get to cruise

with you in the future. :)

Actually it's brilliant. They have you use your paper and ink to print the docs instead of them and save the postage.

Paperless? Ha, sometimes we keep two printed copies of emails at the office.:eek:

Edited by cruzincurt

Actually it's brilliant. They have you use your paper and ink to print the docs instead of them and save the postage.

Paperless? Ha, sometimes we keep two printed copies of emails at the office.:eek:

I usually see that type of thing in industries that require hard copies for audit reasons. In time all that will change...