Copper need your help please - a new twist that inquiring minds want to know about

kazu

Possibly, but not since 2008 when he became chief officer for Eurodam's inaugural season

Ahha, you've given me a clue.

I think he might have been Chief Officer on Prinsendam (Staff Captain now) and went to Fincantieri to see Eurodam's building and was on the take out team. If my memory is even close, he might have been promoted straight from Eurodam to Captain for Maasdam. I clearly remember our arriving at our cabin and he happened to be standing outside Neptune which was immediately across from our cabin. He introduced himself, we recognized his name and then congratulated him..... his first cruise as Captain. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Ahha, you've given me a clue.

I think he might have been Chief Officer on Prinsendam (Staff Captain now) and went to Fincantieri to see Eurodam's building and was on the take out team. If my memory is even close, he might have been promoted straight from Eurodam to Captain for Maasdam. I clearly remember our arriving at our cabin and he happened to be standing outside Neptune which was immediately across from our cabin. He introduced himself, we recognized his name and then congratulated him..... his first cruise as Captain. :)

Great memory! ;)

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/2008/09/05/andre-van-schoonhoven-promoted-to-captain/

[

Captain Andre van Schoonhoven, new Captain to Prinsendam, was promoted to Captain after being Chief Officer. We sailed his first cruise as Captain on Maasdam and he's terrific. Wonderful gentleman.

Seems to me he was once Chief Officer on Prinsendam?

Anyone know?

I believe I sailed with him on Prinsendam when Bos was captain.

Kazu, hope you're having a good Saturday! ;)

I have not heard about that change before you mentioned it today. According to the schedule, Capt. Andre van Schoonhoven just relieved Captain Roberts on PRDM. If I'll hear something different in the future, I will send a homing pigeon

I'm hoping Tim Roberts will still be the captain on the November 20th Amazon Explorer on Prinsendam.

Is it still too early to know who the CD will be for that cruise. Thanks.

"Butterfly House Lady!"

Based on what Copper said above I would say not as Captain Roberts was on the last cruise so apparently has just gotten off - but that is just my best guess based on rotation

I'm hoping Tim Roberts will still be the captain on the November 20th Amazon Explorer on Prinsendam.

"Butterfly House Lady!"

Based on what Copper said above I would say not as Captain Roberts was on the last cruise so apparently has just gotten off - but that is just my best guess based on rotation

Sorry to disagree here. Assuming that Captain Roberts is staying with the Prinsendam and not going to another ship, if Captain Andre just come on I think his contract should end in early November. You should have Captain Roberts (fingers crossed for you) or somebody entirely new.

Roy

I can't believe all the fuss and nastiness over a person asking a perfectly innocent question, especially when the question was no different than those asked and answered many times in the past without the OP being ganged up on and attacked.

It makes one afraid to ask any simple question. What happened to the CC that used to be fun and helpful? Where have all the old time posters gone?

I'm here and can't believe all the fuss and bother about this thread. I would sure like to know who is at the helm on the Prinsendam since she is very different from the rest of the fleet. She is a stand alone vessel. You are sure correct about the nastiness. Let's hope John gets back from Alaska before the Prinsendam sails.:)

Royal Viking was a special line. I had the good fortune that my first cruise ever was on Royal Viking Sea. They even managed 2 weeks without rain for our run to North Cape and back.

Royal Viking was a wonderful cruise line. I sailed on the Prinsendam when she was the Royal Viking Sun. What I liked most, there was only one dinner setting and all passengers were seated at the same time.. My husband and I were lucky enough to be seated with a ship's officer who attended most evening meals. We sure did not have to spend much money on wine during this full transit of the Panama Canal. :D

The Captain is licensed and has probably wrung more water out of his socks than you cruisers have seen. HAL will provide a capable licensed Captain to be at the helm,it's not like Hunky Dory is driving the ship.

If he has any problems,he can always summon a cruise critic member to help him navigate any treacherous inlets etc.

I pitty your wife. You are a cheaky b----r, but I like it.:D:D

Sorry to disagree here. Assuming that Captain Roberts is staying with the Prinsendam and not going to another ship, if Captain Andre just come on I think his contract should end in early November. You should have Captain Roberts (fingers crossed for you) or somebody entirely new.

Roy

the way I read Copper's thread was that Captain Andre just came on. I know Tim was on for the last cruise. So, counting on my fingers (only the left hand) you are most likely right as it will be three months early November - just depends upon the rotation.

but yes, I suspect you are absolutely correct ;)

Those questioning why this is public knowledge, do realize many cruiselines publish all the staffing for cruises a year or more out. Cunard, Crystal, Oceania, etc. all publish captains, MDR, Hotel Directors, staff captains, pursers, etc. for cruises well in the future online.

We wish HAL would do this - there are certain hotel directors we really respect and one we will not sail with again. :)

A friend just got off the Prinsendam and said that Tim Roberts told them that a new captain will be coming on board as he hasn't done a certain itinerary before. Please forgive the wording as it is probably incorrect but Captain Roberts said that he would be stepping aside to let another Captain train on the Prinsendam.

Apparently Captain Roberts will go to another ship?

Do you know anything about this and can you help with whom it would be and when?

Thank you very much.

Kazu et al,

I posed the question in an e-mail to HAL and received a reply on July 17th that it will be Timothy Roberts as Master/Captain of the Prinsendam for the Amazon Explorer cruise in November-December 2014. That at least is what is on their schedule at this time. Hope this answers your question and alleviates your fears. I'll be on that cruise as the ship chaplain. See you on board!

Cheers and good sailing!

Fr. Roman

Kazu et al,

I posed the question in an e-mail to HAL and received a reply on July 17th that it will be Timothy Roberts as Master/Captain of the Prinsendam for the Amazon Explorer cruise in November-December 2014. That at least is what is on their schedule at this time. Hope this answers your question and alleviates your fears. I'll be on that cruise as the ship chaplain. See you on board!

Cheers and good sailing!

Fr. Roman

Thank you, Father, and a very early Bon Voyage.

Roy

When I first read Kazu's thread and the question of training, I wondered if all this had anything to do with Captain Albert's new role with HAL. I thought he said he was moving from ship to ship on training duties for new and existing captains.

Kazu et al,

Cheers and good sailing!

Fr. Roman

thank you Father - unfortunately we will be off by the time you board :(

"Butterfly House Lady!"

Linda Minnikin is schedule as the CD on your voyage; she's a good one!

Linda Minnikin is schedule as the CD on your voyage; she's a good one!

Well, toodle-loo! I was with Linda Minnikin on the Holiday cruise on the Prinsendam (and, prior to that on the Maasdam's 49-day voyage to Rio). I will be happy to see her again. She told me that she'd be leaving the ship on November 20th as I'm boarding it. But, I guess things have changed. I'm delighted. Tim Roberts AND Linda Minnikin!

And I'm looking forward to meeting Father Roman on board...either at 8:00 a.m. or 5:00 p.m.!

Thanks, Copper!

Well, toodle-loo! I was with Linda Minnikin on the Holiday cruise on the Prinsendam (and, prior to that on the Maasdam's 49-day voyage to Rio). I will be happy to see her again. She told me that she'd be leaving the ship on November 20th as I'm boarding it. But, I guess things have changed. I'm delighted. Tim Roberts AND Linda Minnikin!

And I'm looking forward to meeting Father Roman on board...either at 8:00 a.m. or 5:00 p.m.!

Thanks, Copper!

First thing that came to my mind also was "Toodle-loo"!!! :D

We sailed a few times with Linda Minnikin. Very hard working fun CD.

I like that she keeps her announcements relatively brief, gets the message out and doesn't ramble on. :)

Edited by sail7seas

First thing that came to my mind also was "Toodle-loo"!!! :D

We sailed a few times with Linda Minnikin. Very hard working fun CD.

I like that she keeps her announcements relatively brief, gets the message out and doesn't ramble on. :)

She's also very approachable. And, yes, she is very hard working.

She's also very approachable. And, yes, she is very hard working.

Oh dear, I hope she's not on our cruise. I don't know if I can handle 30 days of toodlle lee doodly doo. Lovely lady but leave the toodle out of the announcements. It's fun for a few days but at 20 I was ready to toodle lee doodle someone. sorry, but it's tiresome after nearly 3 weeks. she's a good CD but when you shut the door to miss the toodle lee doodly lee doo, enough said.

Oh dear, I hope she's not on our cruise. I don't know if I can handle 30 days of toodlle lee doodly doo. Lovely lady but leave the toodle out of the announcements. It's fun for a few days but at 20 I was ready to toodle lee doodle someone. sorry, but it's tiresome after nearly 3 weeks. she's a good CD but when you shut the door to miss the toodle lee doodly lee doo, enough said.

We'll all be praying on here, that you somehow muster the strength to survive

Oh Jacqui,

She's not that bad. She's been the CD on two of our cruises and I really enjoyed her, even with her toodle loos. Now if it were Carlos Mendoza, I might use my platinum insurance and cancel the trip. Believe me, know a good thing when you have one.

Terri