President's Club

cp556

It started out with 1,000 or 1,200 then was increased to 1,400 where it was when I was inducted into the President's Club. Under the newest rules adopted when HAL debuted the new 500 day Mariner to get into the President's Club a passenger must have sailed for at least 1,500 days and be invited. Travel agents accumulating days on reduced rates as Sail said, are NOT eligible. And it's not true as I tell people who ask what we get for being in the PC "an extra meatball at the Mariner's Party"...

And my very own one (he's 57!) is closing in on 3,000 days and I (63) am nearing 2,600.

Its really good to hear from someone who has hit the level of 1,400 days, but to be at 3,000/2,600 days, I'm with others, WOW. Congratulations and I wish you many more days at sea.

thank you all for your compliments and good wishes. Chris and I each started sailing at age 5 - he on the West Coast to Hawaii in the MATSONIA and I in the Italian Line's VULCANIA to Italy. We're both passionate shiplovers and ocean travelers. We sometimes spend up to 5 or 6 months in a single ship.

thank you all for your compliments and good wishes. Chris and I each started sailing at age 5 - he on the West Coast to Hawaii in the MATSONIA and I in the Italian Line's VULCANIA to Italy. We're both passionate shiplovers and ocean travelers. We sometimes spend up to 5 or 6 months in a single ship.

Any hints on what we could look forward to once I hit 1500 days (in approx. 150 years or so)? :-)

By the meat ball really made me chuckle.

Cheers

Do you still attend the Mariners' Brunches/Receptions? :)

I still remember meeting you and Chris at the Mariner's reception on the Veendam South America cruise.

Nice to see you on the board again.

Hope we meet again on another cruise someday.

Terri

We tend to go to the Mariners' receptions, rarely to the brunch because it's too early for us, we like to have lunch at 1PM

Thanks for your response.

Our last several cruises, we started doing the same. I enjoy seeing folks receive their Medallions and the photo of us with the Captain and Hotel Director is one of my favorite momentoes from most cruises but it is too early for me to eat. :)

Really hope to meet you aboard one day.

wow! Never knew about the President's Club. I am feeing great at just reaching 4 stars!!

Really enjoyed this uplifting information.

Congrats to all of you who have so many days.

I am just so thankful to be able to cruise when we can!

Here's to many, many more enjoyable travels for everyone! :)

It started out with 1,000 or 1,200 then was increased to 1,400 where it was when I was inducted into the President's Club. Under the newest rules adopted when HAL debuted the new 500 day Mariner to get into the President's Club a passenger must have sailed for at least 1,500 days and be invited. Travel agents accumulating days on reduced rates as Sail said, are NOT eligible. And it's not true as I tell people who ask what we get for being in the PC "an extra meatball at the Mariner's Party"...

And my very own one (he's 57!) is closing in on 3,000 days and I (63) am nearing 2,600.

I always enjoy reading your posts and this is no different. The joy you bring while having spent so much time on HAL is honestly so refreshing. Here's to many, many, many more days aboard a blue-hulled beauty!

I'd love to have the honor of meeting you and buying you and your partner a Wang Wang! :)

• 1 year later...

More parents are taking children on cruises these days and many of them are taking them out of school to do so. Our parents never would have thought of having us miss school for a vacation!

Yes, there are educational components to travel but travel can be done during extensive school breaks.

Just sayin'.

Where we live, the majority of the public schools to not have extensive school breaks.

For instance -- Easter. The districts here get Thursday, Friday and Monday off. If schools have been closed because of snow, Thursday and Monday are used as make-up days. So sometimes they get this spring break and other times, barely a spring break.

More parents are taking children on cruises these days and many of them are taking them out of school to do so. Our parents never would have thought of having us miss school for a vacation!

Yes, there are educational components to travel but travel can be done during extensive school breaks.

Just sayin'.

In the UK, all aspects of travel triples or more in price during school breaks. Flights, hotels, (not sure about cruises, but probably), packages. That's why so many parents actually break the law and take their kids out of school during term time. Can't say I blame them, unless it's just to sit on a beach or by a pool, but where actual travel is involved and exposure to other cultures - yep, I would do it. It's a great educator.

There are a few towns in my area where days taken off before or after vacation date are not excused and only a doctor/hospital note gets the student out of trouble. There is a real penalty for taking the day(s) before and after off from school.

When I have been on Grand Voyages, including the WC, while there were few children, those that I knew about were home schooled, in part so they could travel. Several were actually enrolled in home school programs (elementary or High school levels) through a college or University where they provided the curriculum and parents assisted when needed. They could be seen working away around the ship on sea days and touring on port days. The young man I got to know the best traveled with his mother about half the year, his father joining them on occassion for segments. For his courses he arranged for exams to be sent to a local community college (when home) to do proctored exams before he got credit for the course. It was an impressive set-up for kids who were motivated. It would not have worked for me when I was in high school.

In my work setting (in the 89s) several times I arranged for students in similar situations (not on ocean travel, however) to take exams in our offices. The colleges sent its the exam materials directly, the students came in and took the exam under our oversight. We then mailed their exam back to the University. With the internet today I imagine there are other ways of doing this. Our only real responsibility was to have the student within sight of an employee who could then attest to the fact that the student did not have access to text books, resource materials or notes.