Cruising during Jan..would you choose Southern or Western for better weather?

gerbera33

It is a toss up between Southern and Western cruise in January. Trying to decide which would possibly have the better/warmer weather. I know nothing is a guarantee but if you prefer one versus the other, I would love to hear.

Thanks

Edited by gerbera33

We love to do the southern route out of San Juan in the winter months it is their dry season then, so usually great weather....80-85 degrees and pretty humid with ocean temps being close to 80 degrees also (very nice). We Have cruised this itinerary at one time or another during November (worst weather), December, January, and February. We have done the Western Caribbean only in June so can't comment there but I would think the western is also pretty dry the winter months also.

Western Caribbean in January should be very nice. I have done this once. Went to Cozumel, Grand Cayman and Costa Maya, and had perfect weather in each place. Was at least 80F each place. I have been to some of the southern Caribbean islands ie; Barbados on land vacations in January and needed a light sweater at night. So daytime no problems, if you are going to be outside at night and especially on deck of a cruiseship, make sure you have a light sweater or jacket for that.

Edited by SMSACE6

That's the only time we sail now since we don't have to wait for kids summer vacation. You'll find the weather is great on both routes than. Even if a cold snap came in you shouldn't notice it since you're from Canada. We use to live by Lake Erie and would find it funny when people would say its cold today in the carib

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

wife/I have done both as well. Up until this year, we were only cruising in the Jan/Feb time frame. Weather has almost always been good. Only time we had some issues was a Western itinerary where it was "cloudy and cool" (60s) until we hit Cuba. Once south and west of there, 80s and sunny all the time.

So, either will be enjoyable. Western will probably be cheaper since the 7/8 day cruises Southern leave from PR.

If you're talking about the Southern from San Juan, then you're guaranteed to have warm weather the entire time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Sailed on the Breeze this past Jan to Grand Turk, Aruba and Curacao. Just could not have been nicer. We'll always go south when we can. The "true" Caribbean we dream of lies in the southern islands.

We also really like every thing out west as well with the possible exception of Costa Maya. Weather has been fantastic in Nov and March

Any cruise - Any direction - Any time!

We've done the Southern itinerary four times (always sailing from San Juan) and have always sailed mid January. There was only ever one time where we missed a port due to the weather. The weather has always been very hot and humid with the occasional thunderstorm in the afternoon or during the evening. Of course, it pours for half an hour then the sun is out again.

I'd definitely do the Southern route! Love it! ;)

In the summer I always pick the southern caribbean because the weather is much nicer outside of the hurricane belt. However in the winter it really doesn't matter you're good on both and you're not likely to get hit by rain. With that said it can be a little cool leaving Miami and in San Juan you're guaranteed to have a warmer embarkation day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Forums mobile app

We've sailed the last week in January / first week in February every year for the past 6 years. Didn't make any difference which itinerary - southern, eastern or western - weather has been 80-85 and sunny nearly every day. Perfect!!

It is a toss up between Southern and Western cruise in January. Trying to decide which would possibly have the better/warmer weather. I know nothing is a guarantee but if you prefer one versus the other, I would love to hear.

Thanks

Weather in the Caribbean is pretty much the same year round so the time of year you travel will not make much of a difference since it is outside hurricane season.

Both Southern & Western weather is pretty much the same. We like the southern ports better.

This past Feb. we sailed out of SJ for a b2b cruise on Jewel of the Seas. It was great the whole 2 wks we were cruising:). We left home with 10" of snow on the ground.

We cruised to Cozumel and Belize in January 2009. The sun was shining when we boarded in Ft Lauderdale and the 1st half of the first day at sea. That was it until we woke up in Ft Lauderdale 5 days later. Rainy, foggy, rough sea the whole time. Made the best of it though. Better a rainy day at sea then a sunny day at the office!

Thanks

We always cruise the last 2 weeks of January. We usually do a Western an either an Eastern or Southern for the 2nd week. Weather has been nice and warm no matter which itinerary we book.

I would go with Southern. We sail Western Caribbean from Galveston/Houston the middle of January every year. Weather has been a toss up with some years nice weather in the 80's and other years it got down into the 50's in Cozumel.

We've sailed the last week in January / first week in February every year for the past 6 years. Didn't make any difference which itinerary - southern, eastern or western - weather has been 80-85 and sunny nearly every day. Perfect!!

Same for us, enjoyed them all.