Just back from Solstice, 1st time Celebrity cruiser

nilesmom22

We sailed July 18 to Alaska on the Solstice. This was our 1st time on Celebrity but I have been cruising for well over 20 years on most of the major lines. We are a married couple 40s travelling with kids 21 & 13 (they had an inside down the hall). Our last cruise Was RCCL Oasis of the Seas about 2.5 years ago. We had an AQ class cabin. Here are a few thoughts:

Embarkation was busy but we are Elite and it moved quite quickly. Check in desk was too cramped.

Cabin was a standard size balcony I thought (1562). It had plenty of storage. I liked the bathroom, shower and amenities. I liked the robes and linens too. We travel quite a bit and these were a good quality.

Room steward was quite nice and efficient. I got all of my coupons and amenities without asking with the exception of pillow menu which didn't bother me. He always greeted me by name, with a smile. He made extra towel animals when I asked. We never asked for the canapés, we never needed more food, hahaha.

Shows, I'm kind of off the shows in general. These seemed pretty standard and I don't go out of my way to see them. I left both the broadway type and cirque type shows before they were over. Although its not quite fair to compare; the entertainment on the Oasis was way better I thought. I did enjoy the naturalist lectures quite a bit.

Blu, I have mixed feelings. We hadn't planned on eating here all the time because our kids were not in AQ. We ended up only doing 1 dinner and 1 breakfast. The food was good, the room was very pretty, the service was on point. The thing that didn't wow us was the menu choices. When we looked at it 2 times for dinner we just didn't see any thing that appealed so we went elsewhere. I think you can see the menus online so if they appeal I wouldn't hesitate to use that as your primary. On our last cruise my husband declared he wasn't eating in the main dining room again so we didn't plan on that. We did end up there 1 night when we liked the menu better than Blu. It was good but not great. Our dirty appetizer plates sat there for at least 7-10 minutes. The staff was around, they just didn't take them.....strange.

We ate in Murano 2 dinners and 1 lunch. We ate in Tuscan Grille 2 dinners. We ate in Silk Harvest 1 dinner and enjoyed all 3. We liked Murano the best. We all had filet and lobster in Tuscan and Murano and every one was happy. I was a tad disappointed in Bistro on 5 but I would definitely give it another try. Usually ate the buffet for breakfast and we were pleased, it was equivalent to RCCL.

We upgraded to the premium drink package since we didn't want issues with our choices. We don't really drink much but I loved the Molecular bar and I enjoyed the Martini bar too. I never felt like I had a problem getting a drink and service was prompt. I would love a Molecular cocktail right now.

I used the spa quite a bit. This is usually a big part of travelling for me so I would say I'm well versed. I've been to Canyon Ranch in Las Vegas multiple times. I liked the Persian Gardens, I was mostly able to get a spot. I tried 1 time that it was full. 2 times I was the only person there. I like relaxing quietly on a warm lounge and the view is nice. There was 1 issue. Staff members continually coming in and out of the room to the supply closet. I finally looked to see what the heck they were doing and they were getting paper towels and toilet paper etc from the closet. They weren't quiet at all and often were talking with other staff and making noise. Not exactly conducive to guest relaxation. Also, when using the shower there 1 time it was quite dirty with lots of someone else's hair. It wasn't busy at all, the attendant should have caught that. I noticed that the spa staff definitely need more training on being as unobtrusive as possible. I noticed them laughing and loudly talking in the treatment area hallways. I think their prices are comparable to fancy spas on land. I think the treatments/therapist are up to snuff but they need to work on the support staff and surrounding areas. I had a big problem during an extended treatment with the gym people above me dropping their free weights non-stop. UGH!! Spa staff was very apologetic and booked me another complimentary massage but Celebrity needs to address this issue. The changing area is strangely small and right where you 1st enter. A little awkward to be right at the entrance trying to change. Also, the lockers were all broken and I think that's kind of crappy. Not that difficult to fix and a basic maintenance issue.

We didn't have a drop of rain!! Our weather was spectacular, we couldn't have asked for anything more. Our seas were mostly smooth except for the 1st full sea day which was a little "rolling".

We were quite pleased with all the ports but I found the time in Victoria odd. Would have been nicer to be there earlier. We did a mix of private and ship excursions and were happy with all. I would highly recommend going on the small catamaran in Tracy Arm, you really see so much more.

Overall I liked Celebrity a lot and I booked our next cruise onboard on the Reflection in 2016. I thought the pricing was acceptable and felt like I got everything I was promised. I can't wait to go again.

Happy sailing people!!

hi nialsmum22

Thanks for your review, will be on Solstice AQ in a few weeks and I'm very excited:D

Please can you give me some more detail on the catamaran at TAF? was this a ship sponsored excursion? I've been looking at the excursions on Celebrity but unable to locate this specific one, or I'm not looking in the right place:confused:

Thanks

FG:)

"" Shows, I'm kind of off the shows in general. These seemed pretty standard and I don't go out of my way to see them. I left both the broadway type and cirque type shows before they were over. ""

As stated, If you don't like the shows in general, why would you attend for only to walk out in the middle of the production?

I find people who act as you do to be very inconsiderate and rude towards others not to mention the entertainers. :(

"" Shows, I'm kind of off the shows in general. These seemed pretty standard and I don't go out of my way to see them. I left both the broadway type and cirque type shows before they were over. ""

As stated, If you don't like the shows in general, why would you attend for only to walk out in the middle of the production?

I find people who act as you do to be very inconsiderate and rude towards others not to mention the entertainers. :(

Well how would I know I liked if it if I didn't try it? Maybe their shows are amazing?? Maybe you shouldn't be so grouchy! As I sat in the complete last row, at the bar, in the aisle seat with plenty of staff coming and going around me I highly doubt even 1 person noticed me slipping silently out. I would certainly never be so rude as to disturb others around me to leave a show I didn't care for. I find people that attack people online for no good reason to be very rude. Why would you assume I bothered anyone??

hi nialsmum22

Thanks for your review, will be on Solstice AQ in a few weeks and I'm very excited:D

Please can you give me some more detail on the catamaran at TAF? was this a ship sponsored excursion? I've been looking at the excursions on Celebrity but unable to locate this specific one, or I'm not looking in the right place:confused:

Thanks

FG:)

It was a Celebrity excursion on Allen Marine tours I think. I can't look back at where I booked it on their site though. It was listed under Juneau tours if I'm not mistaken. We met about 730-745 and got off the ship about 800-815. We went very close to the glacier and saw 50-75 seals just hanging out. We were able to do both the north and south Sawyer glaciers. We also saw some mountain goats. They took us to beautiful waterfalls and 1 was close enough to touch! We saw both glaciers calving several times. They give you complimentary hot drinks and I think snacks were available at a nominal fee.

The ride back to the ship is a little long and everyone seemed tired because everyone gets up so early that day. You would have to do the same ride back if you were on the ship so I think it's worth it.

There were plenty of photo opportunities for everyone and one of the boat helpers picked up a small piece of ice and brought it onboard. Most everyone got a kick out of that. All of the staff were knowledgeable and happy.

We got back to the ship at 130-145, enough time for a quick lunch and then off to do whale watching (which was awesome!!!).

I would call Celebrity if you can't find it, I think it was well worth it.

You're going to have a wonderful time :D

Cheers

I find people who act as you do to be very inconsiderate and rude towards others not to mention the entertainers.[/size]:(

Well guess what, I find people like you beyond rude; instead just simply pompous and argumentative comes to mind.

Nilesmom - thank you for your comments. We are also recently off the Solstice and I totally agree that a Molecular Bar cocktail would be so great right now. Although they are rich and must be loaded with calories, they are also incredible - an overload for the senses.

However I learned a lesson when I asked for something "spicy". Adrian, the bartender from Russia, asked me "do you want it girl, manly or deadly". I asked for manly but commented it really wasn't all that challenging - big mistake.

Later that week I ordered a repeat. My tongue wanted to dial the fire department - loaded with crushed jalapeno. I still feel a twinge. Thanks again for your observations.

Well guess what, I find people like you beyond rude; instead just simply pompous and argumentative comes to mind.

Nilesmom - thank you for your comments. We are also recently off the Solstice and I totally agree that a Molecular Bar cocktail would be so great right now. Although they are rich and must be loaded with calories, they are also incredible - an overload for the senses.

However I learned a lesson when I asked for something "spicy". Adrian, the bartender from Russia, asked me "do you want it girl, manly or deadly". I asked for manly but commented it really wasn't all that challenging - big mistake.

Later that week I ordered a repeat. My tongue wanted to dial the fire department - loaded with crushed jalapeno. I still feel a twinge. Thanks again for your observations.

I was happy to pay the diet piper when I got home after enjoying so many yummy things. Adrian and Sergey (sp?) were rock stars weren't they? I tried that spicy drink too but I stayed with girly lol. The coming up roses and ginger mojito were my favorites. Wish I was back right now. Glad you enjoyed.

It was a Celebrity excursion on Allen Marine tours I think. I can't look back at where I booked it on their site though. It was listed under Juneau tours if I'm not mistaken. We met about 730-745 and got off the ship about 800-815. We went very close to the glacier and saw 50-75 seals just hanging out. We were able to do both the north and south Sawyer glaciers. We also saw some mountain goats. They took us to beautiful waterfalls and 1 was close enough to touch! We saw both glaciers calving several times. They give you complimentary hot drinks and I think snacks were available at a nominal fee.

The ride back to the ship is a little long and everyone seemed tired because everyone gets up so early that day. You would have to do the same ride back if you were on the ship so I think it's worth it.

There were plenty of photo opportunities for everyone and one of the boat helpers picked up a small piece of ice and brought it onboard. Most everyone got a kick out of that. All of the staff were knowledgeable and happy.

We got back to the ship at 130-145, enough time for a quick lunch and then off to do whale watching (which was awesome!!!)...............

We also took Allen Marine's Tracy Arm excursion off the Solstice, but a few weeks earlier.

It was listed as JU94 (under Juneau) at the time, although I don't see it there now.

Of course Celebrity does not make it easy to find anything that one is looking for on their website. ;)

The Allen Marine Tracy Arm excursion was a lot better than staying on the ship as the smaller boats are more maneuverable and can get closer to the glaciers, but it was not as good as the Adventure Bound trip through Tracy Arm that we had taken a few years previously.

Allen Marine used a larger boat than Adventure Bound, and they only took us up close to one waterfall.

For the most part, their boat just traveled straight down the middle of the channel instead of hugging the shoreline, going in and out of the little coves the way the smaller Adventure Bound boat had done.

Our ride back to meet up with the ship was a good one though because we got to see whales in several places along the way.

I think it is just luck, mainly hit or miss, how much whale sighting you encounter along the way on any particular trip, (unless you book a whale watching tour out of Icy Strait Point or Juneau, where you know for sure that you will be taken to see whales).

We got back to the ship at 130-145, enough time for a quick lunch and then off to do whale watching (which was awesome!!!).

I would call Celebrity if you can't find it, I think it was well worth it.

You're going to have a wonderful time :D

Cheers

It is listed in the Juneau excursions and is JU94.

Thank you so much for your great review.

We were on the Solstice in May and had a wonderful time. Our dinner in the "Wine Room" in Murano was our best specialty restaurant experience yet, and we have had some great ones!

Andrei and Sergei in the Molecular were fabulous. So, so much fun, and the drinks were awesome.

Was Alex Tortorelli still the CD? He was so much fun, and a really nice guy.

Have a wonderful upcoming cruise on the Reflection, and thanks again for posting.

Nicely written, good information, Thanks.

How did you find getting around the ship compared to the RCCL ships?

We were on Reflection last Nov, also S-class, and have friends booked on Allure next yr that want us to join them. We have sailed on a Vision, Voyager, and Freedom class.

EW

I appreciate this review.

We will be boarding Solstice this Friday (Aug 8) for the same itinerary (also taking our children along).

We have booked the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion with Allen Marine. That will be our only high-dollar excursion on this cruise. Hoping to get some up-close encounters with glaciers and wildlife.

One question about that excursion: When returning to Juneau, do you have to re-board the ship, or can you just go to the dock?

Another question about Juneau: Did you do tendering, and how was that experience?

Well how would I know I liked if it if I didn't try it? Maybe their shows are amazing?? Maybe you shouldn't be so grouchy! As I sat in the complete last row, at the bar, in the aisle seat with plenty of staff coming and going around me I highly doubt even 1 person noticed me slipping silently out. I would certainly never be so rude as to disturb others around me to leave a show I didn't care for. I find people that attack people online for no good reason to be very rude. Why would you assume I bothered anyone??

We always sit in the back right near the exit for the few shows we attend ..why torture ourselves if we dislike a show we have not read reviews about....esp ones where the volume level turns out to be unbearable or the humor insulting ...or the music painfully off key...we are not the only ones....

some shows turn out to be great, esp headline performers, also enjoy the cirque like shows.but many shows are not really very good...Celeb not known for great shows or music but we always hope for something good.

thanks for your concise review...Looking forward to Canyon Ranch on Reflection...I love the spa and they usually deliver a good service,,,

We will be boarding Solstice this Friday (Aug 8) for the same itinerary (also taking our children along).

We have booked the Tracy Arm Fjord excursion with Allen Marine. That will be our only high-dollar excursion on this cruise. Hoping to get some up-close encounters with glaciers and wildlife.

One question about that excursion: When returning to Juneau, do you have to re-board the ship, or can you just go to the dock?

Another question about Juneau: Did you do tendering, and how was that experience?

Have you every sailed on Celebrity with children? How do you like the children's programs?

Have you every sailed on Celebrity with children? How do you like the children's programs?
We are mostly new to cruising and this is our first time with children., so I cannot offer any opinion.

But I promise to write a review when we get back.

I'm sure there must be many other threads here on the topic, however.

Thank you so much for your great review.

We were on the Solstice in May and had a wonderful time. Our dinner in the "Wine Room" in Murano was our best specialty restaurant experience yet, and we have had some great ones!

Andrei and Sergei in the Molecular were fabulous. So, so much fun, and the drinks were awesome.

Was Alex Tortorelli still the CD? He was so much fun, and a really nice guy.

Have a wonderful upcoming cruise on the Reflection, and thanks again for posting.

I saw people in that wine room and it looked special :D

Nicely written, good information, Thanks.

How did you find getting around the ship compared to the RCCL ships?

We were on Reflection last Nov, also S-class, and have friends booked on Allure next yr that want us to join them. We have sailed on a Vision, Voyager, and Freedom class.

EW

I must have cruised too much, I always seem to know how to get around to ship quickly lol. I found them both to be easy and was pleasantly surprised how "un crowded" Oasis felt. Allure must be comparable. The only time I felt it was crowded was I think the last night I think they had a parade. The Oasis class do have an interactive system that helps you get around. I would happily cruise on either class ship again.

We were not tendering in Juneau so I'm not sure how that goes. We did have to re-board the ship after the excursion and even go thru security. It seemed odd since we had not set foot on land but whatever.