Oasis of the Seas Transatlantic

Might not have the range/endurance at normal speed.

I seriously doubt that. I remember a Captain's Corner on Allure where they said they could run for 4 weeks with full fuel.

We seriously looked at doing this cruise. The pluses were: best ship and entertainment we've ever seen. There should be fewer kids. We are older and don't have the tolerance we used to have.

The minuses: 12 days with only one port, then the long, fairly expensive, air back to Phoenix. We looked at the following cruise which was a five day Med. with only two additional ports. This was way more expensive than we were willing to pay. Seventeen days with three ports. In contrast, we are doing a B2B, with TA, on Celebrity Equinox in October which is twenty seven days with thirteen ports, including an over nighter in Venice.

We determined it was too much money for what we would see. It's all about the ports, the ship is just the icing on the cake.

This is one of the reason we cruise the time of year when we do.

I seriously doubt that. I remember a Captain's Corner on Allure where they said they could run for 4 weeks with full fuel.

That is most likely true for normal operations However, a normal cruise is from port to port and they are not running at speed 24/7. I would wonder how many sea miles they cover on a normal week vs TA.

Edited by tanzer22pilot

That is most likely true for normal operations However, a normal cruise is from port to port and they are not running at speed 24/7. I would wonder how many sea miles they cover on a normal week vs TA.

You're probably right, there would be more fuel used for propulsion on TA. I'd like to ask one of the engineers that question, because there's also a trade off with regard to electricity used by the ship for air conditioning. I've had several Chief Engineers tell me they use more fuel for A/C than for propulsion. With the TA being generally cooler than the Caribbean, the lower AC load might cover the higher propulsion load.

Edited by clarea

You're probably right, there would be more fuel used for propulsion on TA. I'd like to ask one of the engineers that question, because there's also a trade off with regard to electricity used by the ship for air conditioning. I've had several Chief Engineers tell me they use more fuel for A/C than for propulsion. With the TA being generally cooler than the Caribbean, the lower AC load might cover the higher propulsion load.

Ok, thanks! Now I have a goal for October. Find out the speed of the ship on a TA vs. a normal cruise. This is going to turn in a hectic cruise if I have to do more than this.

For the more fragile types, that was sarcasm.

Professional curiosity is got me thinking now. I did not know that about the AC using more power than for propulsion. Bar blenders are very high draw items too.

Ok, thanks! Now I have a goal for October. Find out the speed of the ship on a TA vs. a normal cruise. This is going to turn in a hectic cruise if I have to do more than this.

For the more fragile types, that was sarcasm.

Professional curiosity is got me thinking now. I did not know that about the AC using more power than for propulsion. Bar blenders are very high draw items too.

Especially with the drink packages!:rolleyes:

The Oasis TA to Malaga is scheduled for 9 days and 15 hours.

At 22.6 knots it would take 7 days and 3 hours.

They are planning a daily average of 17 knots to hold the schedule.

On the behind the scenes tour on Oasis the Chief Engineer stated they only refuel every other week on both Oasis / Allure at Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

The Oasis crossing from Vigo is scheduled for 8 days and 8 hours with around the same 17 knots daily average speed. They could do this trip at 6 days 14 hours at 22.6 knots.

They tend to speed up at night and slow during dining times.

The Oasis TA to Malaga is scheduled for 9 days and 15 hours.

At 22.6 knots it would take 7 days and 3 hours.

They are planning a daily average of 17 knots to hold the schedule.

On the behind the scenes tour on Oasis the Chief Engineer stated they only refuel every other week on both Oasis / Allure at Philipsburg, St. Maarten.

The Oasis crossing from Vigo is scheduled for 8 days and 8 hours with around the same 17 knots daily average speed. They could do this trip at 6 days 14 hours at 22.6 knots.

They tend to speed up at night and slow during dining times.

The voyage from FLL to Malaga is approximately 4,500 miles which means the ship has to make good approximately 19.5 knots to arrive on schedule based on 9.625 days. My guess is that this is above their most economical cruising speed.

I would also guess that their refueling schedule, in most cases, is based on economics rather than endurance, particularly during the Caribbean runs.

The voyage from FLL to Malaga is approximately 4,500 miles which means the ship has to make good approximately 19.5 knots to arrive on schedule based on 9.625 days. My guess is that this is above their most economical cruising speed...
I think you are confusing nautical miles and statute miles. 17 knots times (9 days 15 hours) yields 3927 nautical miles or slightly more than 4500 statute miles (slightly more than the distance from FLL to Malaga).

Thom

Edited by TravelerThom

FYI -

The 3900 nautical mile distance from Port Everglades to Malaga is plotted using the ideal "Great Circle" routing. Depending on weather conditions the Captain may take a longer route requiring a higher average speed.

In addition, I've noticed that the ships will often start out a crossing at a seed higher than required speed, and slow down later on.

Aloha,

John

Being younger I've always been anti TA's. The thought of being stuck on a ship for days wasn't appealing at all. I did say if I was to do it I would want oasis or allure. So I booked oasis return return. Really excited to spend a lot of time on oasis again. Already got my dining booked. Can't wait for more.

Both the Allure and Oasis TAs Eastbound are going from Fort Lauderdale to Malaga.

At a Captains Corner on Oasis it was mentioned that Oasis must go to Malaga.

Anyone know the reason why Malaga must be a port stop on the Eastbound TAs?

I'm guessing due to her size and limited ports that can handle Oasis.

Both the Allure and Oasis TAs Eastbound are going from Fort Lauderdale to Malaga.

Interesting with the choice of 'must' for a Malaga call. Malaga would be classified as Spain's second port, following Barcelona.

I have not read anything locally on how they are handling Oasis and Allure at Malaga. While I read in the Allure Spanish press release that Barcelona will handle them with a 2 terminal solution, using Barcelona's Cruise Terminals B &C.

While Malaga has currently invested in a single great cruise terminal for large ships and another right in the city for small ships, this port was designed for ships up to 340m and Oasis and Allure are just over 361.6m in length.

Many passengers wanting to see the Alhambra at Granada are recommended to purchase ship shore excursions as this is a minimum 9 hour trip and delays are common. At least Oasis has a 12 hour call, which is lengthier than most.

Another factor could be the access for deliveries to be secured and transferred to the ship from RCI's distributor. I am not sure where fuelling will come into play.

I would also guess Malaga is is selected because it can handle Oasis. Also, Barcelona is quite a bit farther than Malaga, so maybe they have to provision in Malaga after being at sea for so long.

The only local article that references that Malaga more than met the requirements of RCI was published after a visit by the Security Officer of Allure and the Boarding Manager for RCI Europe on the 24th of November, 2013.

http://www.malagahoy.es/article/malaga/1654628/todo/preparado/para/septiembre.html

It states that a key consideration was that the Passenger and Crew movements while in port could be entirely separated as a key factor.

They state that all control an movements of passengers and crew will be facilitated through the existing terminal.

I have made numerous Transatlantics but never on a ship the size of Oasis. I am considering the Sep 1st TA, which seems close to fully booked. I'm wondering whether 10 straight days at sea with 4,000 guests would make for a pleasant cruise or would it just be too hectic.

Having reviewed all your comments and doing a little research, booked the cruise today. Many thanks for you perspective.

Edited by doublebzz

Odd since for the WB we are doing Vigo Spain