be careful with your purse, backpack, etc

Tbay

Have to smile about the previous post. When it comes to Rome, we avoid the city like the plague....but it has nothing to do with tourism. We just dislike Rome :). There are just so many other places (some very touristy) we would rather visit in Italy.

Hank

Despite having spent a great deal of time in Rome, I cannot imagine being in the area and not seeing Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's, Piazza Navona, ;) via Condotti :), and other 'tourist sites'. There is a reason they are 'tourist sites'. Most of us want to see these much loved places and is why we cross the Atlantic again and again. Probably makes us less than suitably sophisticated but when I'm in London, I AM a tourist. That is why I am there. I'm not a local and don't pretend to be. :)

Despite having spent a great deal of time in Rome, I cannot imagine being in the area and not seeing Sistine Chapel, St. Peter's, Piazza Navona, ;) via Condotti :), and other 'tourist sites'. There is a reason they are 'tourist sites'. Most of us want to see these much loved places and is why we cross the Atlantic again and again. Probably makes us less than suitably sophisticated but when I'm in London, I AM a tourist. That is why I am there. I'm not a local and don't pretend to be. :)

Exactly! Imagine going to London and not seeing the Tower, Buckingham Palace, Big Ben etc etc.

Common sense! ;)

Another easy tip I employ here in the US while grocery shopping: I use the child safety buckle on the shopping cart to buckle in my purse. I just thread it through the strap on my purse and pull it tight to prevent anyone from grabbing it from the cart. I try to get a cart in the parking lot and do all of that by the car before even entering the store. If no cart is near-by, I make sure I either loop the strap over my neck with the purse in front of me, or hold it in front of me with the strap double-looped over my wrists.

About 3 years or so ago, we had a rash of purses being snatched from women walking to or from the store (this was occurring mainly in the large WalMart store areas and Mall parking lots), or out of the cart while shopping. I attended a Women's Conference where a great seminar was given by one of our local policeman on safety issues for women. This was one of the tips he gave and I've been using it ever since.

Smooth Sailing:)

Edited by luvs2travl

I never, ever worry about leaving stuff in the cabin safe. But sometimes wonder about hotel safes - e.g. does the regular housekeeping staff have keys to open etc.? Sometimes I have taken valuables with me rather than leave in a safe in an unfamiliar, foreign hotel. Thoughts?

I never, ever worry about leaving stuff in the cabin safe. But sometimes wonder about hotel safes - e.g. does the regular housekeeping staff have keys to open etc.? Sometimes I have taken valuables with me rather than leave in a safe in an unfamiliar, foreign hotel. Thoughts?

Google "youtube hotel safes" and you might not want to leave your valuables ever again. Don't get me wrong, I think that the vast majority of hotel staff are completely honest, and I've often left valuables out without losing them, but the safes offer minimal protection at best.

Another easy tip I employ here in the US while grocery shopping: I use the child safety buckle on the shopping cart to buckle in my purse. I just thread it through the strap on my purse and pull it tight to prevent anyone from grabbing it from the cart. I try to get a cart in the parking lot and do all of that by the car before even entering the store. If no cart is near-by, I make sure I either loop the strap over my neck with the purse in front of me, or hold it in front of me with the strap double-looped over my wrists.

About 3 years or so ago, we had a rash of purses being snatched from women walking to or from the store (this was occurring mainly in the large WalMart store areas and Mall parking lots), or out of the cart while shopping. I attended a Women's Conference where a great seminar was given by one of our local policeman on safety issues for women. This was one of the tips he gave and I've been using it ever since.

Smooth Sailing:)

Thank you....Great idea...I never thought of that. And wish I'd employed that when I had mine stolen out of a cart at BJ's while I turned my back to load stuff in the car. :(

An update. My husband has travel documents to get back to Canada. A pain to get, but he has them.

FYI: for Canadians. The travel documents are only good for five days, including the day you receive them.

Two other couples were at the embassy. Both had their cars broken in to.

For us, this has changed our travel plans. Included in the passport was a visa. Not having it, he cannot return to work and must return to Canada, resulting in a change of flights, and you all know how expensive that is.

Thank you to all who replied with concern and sympathy.

For all the critics, I hope this never happens to you.

I posted this simply to give a warning of what can happen. And others have posted their experiences. Hopefully, reading this will save some one from going thru this. Take care and be safe in all your travels.

Tbay.

Thank you for starting this thread. It has been helpful for many of us.

Sorry for your unhappy experience but happy your DH now has his travel documents and you can make your way home.

Travel safely.

A very useful reminder!

My practice, when leaving the ship, is to take only a small amount of cash, my ship ID, one piece of photo ID (usually my Canadian citizenship card, unless I am renting a car, in which case I bring my driving license) and in some places, one credit card (the one with the lowest limit--and not the one that my shipboard account is tied to).

I leave my passports (I am a dual national, so I have two), my Nexus card and other photo ID, the rest of my cash and my credit cards all remain in the safe in the cabin.

So far, touch wood, I have never been pickpocketed. But I like to think that I will be well prepared should that ever occur.

For Canadian citizens out there, consider applying for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (a citizenship card). It's only $75, it never expires, and it is proof of citizenship that you can keep separate and apart from your passport.

For Canadian citizens out there, consider applying for a Certificate of Canadian Citizenship (a citizenship card). It's only $75, it never expires, and it is proof of citizenship that you can keep separate and apart from your passport.

Unfortunately, they no longer issue it in card form. Since March 31, 2013, the Canadian citizenship certificate has only been available as an 8½ x 11-inch paper document, although older versions are still valid.

While we are on the subject of pickpockets, taking a few simple precautions can go a long way to protecting folks. There is never a guarantee of total safety, but you can certainly tilt the odds in your favor since crooks tend to choose the easier targets.

For men, put a couple of thick rubber bands (gum bands if you are from Pittsburgh) around your wallet. Then I prefer to keep my wallet in a front pocket (never put it in a rear pocket) which I further secure with a large safety pin.

For ladies, wear your purse strap cross-shoulders and never, ever, put your purse down under your chair (we have seen two purses stolen this way in Barcelona). DW also likes to secure her purse's main zipper with a safety pin.

We also do not take stuff with us that we do not need. In cruise ship ports we have our cruise card, some cash, a single major credit card, and usually a copy of our main Passport Page (we usually keep our Passports locked in a safe). If renting a car we will have our drivers license and Passport (often required when you rent a car).

As to Passports, they are very valuable (worth up to $10,000 on the Black Market) so if we must carry them, they are kept in a small Passport wallet worn around my neck and under my shirt.

When we go to the beach (which we do in many places) I have a sturdy fanny pack (bum pack for you Brits) that contains a strong plastic bag which has a triple waterproof seal. My pack is called a Sea Caddy and is certified waterproof down to 100 feet (I have used it when I SCUBA). We are able to carry our cash and credit cards in the Sea Caddy and could also add our Passports although we prefer to leave then securely locked in our cabin or hotel safe.

Hank

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I like to get a taste of the land and the people, and that rarely happens at the big draw sites. We enjoy engaging with friendly locals who are interested in us as much as we are interested in them. This happens all the time once one gets off the beaten path.

I did the "10 countries in 10 days" European trip when I was young and hit all the famous sites. Don't need to do that again.

igraf

I agree with everything already said. The only thing different I do is to bring the smallest size dry bag used when out in a canoe to keep gear dry in case you tip. When at the beach it keep sand and water out but allows us to take our personal things and camera with us wherever we go - downpour is not problem.

But I am also very wary about what earrings (if any) and rings I wear off the ship. I have a plain thin gold band that if I wear a ring it will be that one. No bling for me. My watch is also very small that I use and now has a broken crystal. Perfect as if it gets lost/stolen I will have a great excuse to get a new one. ;)

I am now going to go out and buy a neck case for our passports. DH wears Scottvest shorts and I have a Pacsafe purse and fanny pack.

I hear you so will expand on my negative Rome remarks. For those who have not been to Rome we recommend spending some time in the city. But we have been to Rome (many times) and have done all the normal (and not so normal) sites...several times. The last time we got stuck in Rome for a day we sat down at an outdoor café in the Piazza Navona (our favorite spot in Rome) for a morning cup of java...and did not leave our table until nearly 5 pm. It was probably our favorite day in Rome, just sitting in front of that amazing fountain and People Watching.

But, we have driven all over Italy (from the Swiss border to the toe) and really love the country. Rome would not even make our top 50 list of places to go in Italy, although we would think differently if we had never been to that city. DW once told a friend that she really liked Rome until she saw the rest of Italy :).

Hank

I love Rome, but then I am a city rat. I prefer the faster pace and the myriad options in a city. I especially like cities with great museums, good food, culture, and interesting architecture. Rome fills the bill for me. When I retire, my hope is to spend a significant chunk of the year there.

I prefer Paris to Provence, London to the Cotswolds, Istanbul to Cappadocia, and Naples to Capri. While I enjoy visiting remote sites to see ancient ruins, I'd never want to live anywhere but in a city.

I hear you so will expand on my negative Rome remarks. For those who have not been to Rome we recommend spending some time in the city. But we have been to Rome (many times) and have done all the normal (and not so normal) sites...several times. The last time we got stuck in Rome for a day we sat down at an outdoor café in the Piazza Navona (our favorite spot in Rome) for a morning cup of java...and did not leave our table until nearly 5 pm. It was probably our favorite day in Rome, just sitting in front of that amazing fountain and People Watching.

But, we have driven all over Italy (from the Swiss border to the toe) and really love the country. Rome would not even make our top 50 list of places to go in Italy, although we would think differently if we had never been to that city. DW once told a friend that she really liked Rome until she saw the rest of Italy :).

Hank

After multiple trips to all over Italy, ;) I still say the same thing. Though I've been to St. Peter's at least 15 times, it isn't enough. Every time we go, I see something different.

Just a different perspective. What you like is not what I like and vice versa..... :) I wouldn't dream of driving in Rome :eek: let alone think of trying to park!

We do agree about driving in Rome. We do not drive in Rome, which is made even more difficult by the ZTLs (restricted driving zones). But once out of the big cities, the only way to really see Italy is via car.

Hank

Got off the Noordam this morning and took the train to Rome. At the station in Rome, someone spilled beer foam down my arm, and back. I didn't see it or feel it happen. While distracted, trying to clean up, someone stole my husband's backpack. Realized after, hindsight is great, that we were set up. The helpful person who gave us tissue, was the one who spilled the beer and stole the pack. So please be careful and don't let go of your purse, backpack, etc. Now to get a new passport....

Good idea, always be on your toes, keep a watch out for each other. I do and take a step back just to watch my surroundings. Very time consuming to get a new passport..