Dulles Concourse A to Concourse C

FritzG

We have a 2.5 hr. layover in Dulles to catch our United flight to London. Our first flight arrives at Concourse A. How can we get to Concourse C quickly--we're seniors, and dh doesn't walk very fast.

There is an Aero Train to get you from one terminal to the next. You should have plenty of time to get there. When you get off the plane look for signs for the Aero train --- do not head to the main terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have 2.5 hours, and I'm assuming don't need to clear immigration. Why are you in need of getting between the terminals "quickly?"

Have you notified your airline that you would need wheelchair assistance? It's free (please tip the pusher a few dollars) and it seems like it would be helpful.

The concourses at Dulles are long and do not have any moving walkways. You may luck out and your gate may be very close to the train stop, but there is no guarantee. Your options are to request wheelchair assistance or walk at a leisurely pace as 2.5 hours is a long time to transit.

You have 2.5 hours, and I'm assuming don't need to clear immigration. Why are you in need of getting between the terminals "quickly?"

Have you notified your airline that you would need wheelchair assistance? It's free (please tip the pusher a few dollars) and it seems like it would be helpful.

We're just planning ahead in case the first flight is late, and we'd like to get some food to take on the plane before boarding.

The concourses at Dulles are long and do not have any moving walkways. You may luck out and your gate may be very close to the train stop, but there is no guarantee. Your options are to request wheelchair assistance or walk at a leisurely pace as 2.5 hours is a long time to transit.

Not true, IAD is my home airport and I can assure you that there are a few moving walkways. The C gates are not close to the train stop. You have to walk or take a moving walkway from the train, then an escalator to get to the gate area. 2 1/2 hours is enough time to take a leisurely stroll between gates, have a meal, use the restroom, then sit at your gate waiting for your flight for about 1 1/2 hours!

The only moving walkways in Dulles are those that take you from the train to the concourse. There are no moving walkways once you have taken the escalator up to the concourse level. Depending on what gate you have, you could still have a long walk.

Not true, IAD is my home airport and I can assure you that there are a few moving walkways. The C gates are not close to the train stop. You have to walk or take a moving walkway from the train, then an escalator to get to the gate area. 2 1/2 hours is enough time to take a leisurely stroll between gates, have a meal, use the restroom, then sit at your gate waiting for your flight for about 1 1/2 hours!

My point is there are no moving walkways on the actual concourses which are LONG. Even if you could take the aerotrain to the concourse you are still potentially poised with a lengthy walk. I am not 100% versed in wheelchair/cart services at IAD, but I don't recall seeing golf cart service at IAD. If a person requires assistance then they are generally at the mercy of the wheelchair pushers which may or may not be any faster than you on foot. Seriously, some of these wheelchair attendants look like they should be the one in the chair. Other airports are so riddled with golf carts wizzing by at break neck speeds that the pedestrians on the concourse need to have on their track shoes so they can play a game of Frogger dodging the multiple carts. Examples of airports with excessive golf cart use are IAH and CLT, though the fastest golf cart ride I ever had was at Singapore airport. I was VERY late for a flight and I swear the driver floored it as the wind was whipping through my hair like I was riding on the freeway in a convertible. :D

My point is there are no moving walkways on the actual concourses which are LONG. Even if you could take the aerotrain to the concourse you are still potentially poised with a lengthy walk. I am not 100% versed in wheelchair/cart services at IAD, but I don't recall seeing golf cart service at IAD. If a person requires assistance then they are generally at the mercy of the wheelchair pushers which may or may not be any faster than you on foot. Seriously, some of these wheelchair attendants look like they should be the one in the chair. Other airports are so riddled with golf carts wizzing by at break neck speeds that the pedestrians on the concourse need to have on their track shoes so they can play a game of Frogger dodging the multiple carts. Examples of airports with excessive golf cart use are IAH and CLT, though the fastest golf cart ride I ever had was at Singapore airport. I was VERY late for a flight and I swear the driver floored it as the wind was whipping through my hair like I was riding on the freeway in a convertible. :D

CLE is another airport with lots of carts, but I appreciate that because we're usually the ones in the cart dodging pedestrians. They need to redo the concourses somehow and put in a cart lane.

Thanks, your post is reassuring. It sounds like DH could sit down for a few minutes if need be, and we'll still be on time. Now we just have to hope our first flight is on time.

Thanks, your post is reassuring. It sounds like DH could sit down for a few minutes if need be, and we'll still be on time. Now we just have to hope our first flight is on time.

I agree, you should be fine. My favorite place to pick up food at Dulles is California Tortilla. It's in Concourse C by Gate 19. Lines can be long though!

I too use IAD (Dulles) as a home airport. If you are not coming in customs or immigration it is pretty easy. Do have a wheelchair if walking problems as it can get fairly long but there are much worse airports-- last time I was there still used the people movers and they go from mid concourse across to mid concourse with little walking. 2 1/2 hours should be plenty if your plane is not terribly late or other problems that you have no control over.

Haha! Good one! :D

Sorry, don't understand your post.

Was at IAD today with time to spare, so I wandered from D gates to C gates, got some food there, took the train to the main terminal, wandered around, then to A gates, and then went upstairs and out the door at arrivals. Took about 30 minutes, You will have plenty of time with 2.5 hours.

Edited by 6rugrats

The only moving walkways in Dulles are those that take you from the train to the concourse. There are no moving walkways once you have taken the escalator up to the concourse level. Depending on what gate you have, you could still have a long walk.

There are also moving walkways from the terminal to the parking garage.

To another poster, yes, they use carts to ferry passengers at IAD, not just wheelchairs.

I hope you understand that there are no moving walkways in the concourses, only from the train up to the concourse level. There is also a very long ramp going up from the train before you get to the first walkway, with no where to sit and rest.