Bringing Alcohol on a carnival Cruise.

DannyGreg

I brought on a 12 pack of "moutain dew" last decemeber on the breeze and opened the one side thats glued and not where it is actually opened, I then put 11 beers in there with one moutain dew exactly where the handle is so if that part was punctured they could just look in without opening the 12 pack. I've never seen 12 packs opened, where 10 people will tell you they always check. It just depends on the day and who is checking. All of the information you're going to get here is anecdotal because it works for 5 and the other 5 say it will never happen

Yeah, my husband has done this twice. The first time it worked, the second time the opened the 12 pack and kept it all. Luck of the draw, I guess.

Why can't adults just simply follow rules? :rolleyes:

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/family-health/brain-and-behavior/articles/2011/11/07/people-seem-more-likely-to-follow-rules-they-cant-beat

Same reason people speed on the highway. People get away with it often enough to keep trying, and the penalty is no where near enough to make people worry about the times they do get caught.

If Carnival (or any cruise line) wanted to put an absolute end to taking non approved alcohol on board they could. It would be rough on employees and passengers, there would be a lot of unhappy people initially, but after a period of adjustment people would see that the cruise lines were serious and adjust the behavior.

Why can't adults just simply follow rules? :rolleyes:

Probably for the same reason corporations like Carnival cannot follow the rules and get to spend time in court paying thousands and sometimes millions in penalties. If everyone followed the "rules" we would not need civil courts or criminal courts for that matter.

As for denying boarding to the smugglers when caught, it would be a PR disaster and no mass market cruising line wants to risk it. Angry pax make for a large headache and when many are angry over the same thing, sales goes down.

Some RR gets caught but the vast majority gets through. It is the luck of the draw and not much of a deterrent when knowing one may be caught. We always hear the horror stories about getting caught but the successful ones seldom talk about it. I fully expect that someday I am going to get caught. In the meantime cheers.

Probably for the same reason corporations like Carnival cannot follow the rules and get to spend time in court paying thousands and sometimes millions in penalties. If everyone followed the "rules" we would not need civil courts or criminal courts for that matter.

As for denying boarding to the smugglers when caught, it would be a PR disaster and no mass market cruising line wants to risk it. Angry pax make for a large headache and when many are angry over the same thing, sales goes down.

Some RR gets caught but the vast majority gets through. It is the luck of the draw and not much of a deterrent when knowing one may be caught. We always hear the horror stories about getting caught but the successful ones seldom talk about it. I fully expect that someday I am going to get caught. In the meantime cheers.

What the heck does you breaking rules and smuggling booze on board have to with corporations spending time in court paying thousands and millions in penalties (un substantiated I might add)? Denied boarding for someone is their call, totally justified for a repeat performer I might add. If them enforcing rules makes passengers angry (only the ones that break the rules I might add) then I say " oh well....bye bye".

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Carnival charges $85.00 for a liter bottle of Captain Morgan spiced rum through the Bon Voyage shop delivered to the room. They sell it in the gift shops for $12.00 per bottle. No wonder people smuggle.

In the Past I have been able to bring a bottle on board lets say Seagrams 7 in a 2 liter Ginger Ale bottle, along with Real Diet Coke, and about a 6 pack of 1liter water. Have they got more restrictive it has been a few years since last time I cruised. Please advice sailing in a couple months

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We still do. They day I get "caught", I will simply buy a Bon Voyage bottle.

Make sure it is sealed, and you get it back at the end of the cruise if they do take it. Don't pack it in a bag that has anything else in it but textiles.

Carnival charges $85.00 for a liter bottle of Captain Morgan spiced rum through the Bon Voyage shop delivered to the room. They sell it in the gift shops for $12.00 per bottle. No wonder people smuggle.

Agreed. The markup is astronomical!:eek::D

The cost of the alcohol should have nothing to do with smuggling. If the cost is higher than one wishes to pay, don't buy it and simply don't drink for the duration of the cruise. If someone can't live without a drink for the duration of a cruise they might want to head over to the closest AA meeting while they still can.

Except it does directly impact you and all other cruisers..

Waits are longer when boarding the ship and at ports while security stops and searches. More personnel is hired to ferret out smugglers. Investments made into more detection equipment instead of passenger amenities.

Those who follow the rules are always more impacted than those who don't and more rules aren't being made/enforced due to those who follow the rules.

Exactly, it impacts everyone. Carnival is a business. They are in the business of making money. They make money by selling alcohol on board. Carnival has very reasonably priced cabins. As a business, if they are losing money due to not selling alcohol, soon those reasonably priced cabins are going to increase in price as well. That affects everyone. If you can afford a couple a grand to cruise, then a few hundred dollars more for drinks shouldn't kill you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Yea Carnival!! :D

Oh boy.......

Yea?? what does that mean please?

Did you mean 'yay' like those weird and repressed kids keep squealing on these weird and repressed tv shows?

"you got to stick it to the man"- now thats a quote!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Human nature is human nature. And there is no way a cruise line should be "cops". People smoke where they shouldn't, they switch rooms after boarding to get a single cheers program, they hog chairs, they save seats in entertainment venues, they smuggle, they bring on restricted items, they carry food off ships onto islands that strictly prohibit it, they sneak into rooms before the allotted time, they buy drinks for underage kids, they figure out ways to beat the system all the time. I, personally, could care less. I book a cruise if it offers what I am looking for and I just don't worry about what the other half does. What a waste of time.

I don't try to smuggle. My last cruise I took my alloted bottle of wine on. I ended up taking it home unopened. I just didn't want to have to return to the room for a drink.

So I opted for Cheers and happy I did. Five wines a day being $9+ paid for my program, so being on vacation drinks started early and even so I didn't come close to the 15 drinks allowed and made out. Can't see a reason for smuggling.

Rumrunners.com - I have been on a lot of cruises and this is a 100% success rate. They even checked our bags on our last cruise and still could not find the booze. Rum Runners are the best just roll them up in a pair of shorts or a shirt and they are not deticitbale through the scanners or even people it seems like... I brought on 2 fifths last cruise all in one suitecase and it worked perfect!! Hope this helps :D

I know a few people who have been caught. They can see them with the scanners. It's the luck of the when your bag goes through how busy are they, they just might miss it.

I was on the Breeze this past summer. I don't drink alcohol ,but I hate Coke products. I always bring 12 packs of Pepsi.

I put 2 unopened boxes of 12 packs of Pepsi in my Roll on carry on bag. They never even unzipped the bag at any point of checking in or security or after the scanning of the bag. I could have packed 2 12 packs of beer and walked right on.

I did not read where the OP is trying to sneak the alcohol on. The OP appears to me to be saying that they did bring legally alcohol many years ago and wants to know if carnival got more restrictive. I want to believe the OP is trying to do the right thing instead of the answers they have gotten so far.

to answer the OPs question... no, you can no longer bring those things on board. They are restricted items and if caught they will take them.

I want to believe there is still good in some and the question is innocent enough. They have some cost saving options if you like to drink like the cheers package and the wine package.

The way I see it if you can't afford the drinks on board, you don't need them. Don't get me wrong.... I love to find ways to save money & I love a good deal, but not at the risk of breaking the rules. Personally, I think they need to crack down on the penalties for this. They tell you plain as day you can't bring things onboard...if you're caught doing it knowingly, there should be a stricter penalty.