Non-rocky beach on Labadee??

karen&roy

Been reading everywhere that the water on Labadee is rocky and to wear water shoes. Surely there is a nice sandy bottom beach?? Did a search on here but nothing came up. Thanks in advance for your help ;)

I think the problem is not a rocky bottom but that there are sea urchins that you might stand on!!

The rocky bottom is on the side of the island with the zip line. Columbus Cove is sandy, no sea urchins that I am aware of after several visits. No water shoes needed at Colombus Cove.

Glad you had no trouble with sea urchins. However perhaps better safe than sorry. We were certainly warned about them.

The only beach I've noticed having a rough, rocky (and urchin laden) bottom was Adreneline beach underneath the zip line.

Nellies (the first non-suite beach you come to) is nice. There are rocks along the right side (with urchins!), but that's pretty deep there.. 5-8 ft deep. The wading section in the middle is relatively free of anything but nice sandy.

Columbus beach (keep walking past Nellies - look for the big blow up water park) is also very nice. It's a bigger beach than Nellies, and less crowded since a lot of people stop when they hit Nellies.

But. .I still wear water shoes - just in case. I'd hate to step on an Urchin. I snorkel when I'm there (decent, but not great), and I've seen enough urchins to warrant wearing the shoes.

The only beach I've noticed having a rough, rocky (and urchin laden) bottom was Adreneline beach underneath the zip line.

Nellies (the first non-suite beach you come to) is nice. There are rocks along the right side (with urchins!), but that's pretty deep there.. 5-8 ft deep. The wading section in the middle is relatively free of anything but nice sandy.

Columbus beach (keep walking past Nellies - look for the big blow up water park) is also very nice. It's a bigger beach than Nellies, and less crowded since a lot of people stop when they hit Nellies.

But. .I still wear water shoes - just in case. I'd hate to step on an Urchin. I snorkel when I'm there (decent, but not great), and I've seen enough urchins to warrant wearing the shoes.

Which is the best area to snorkel? I heard it is not very good, but I like to snorkel any chance I get.

Which is the best area to snorkel? I heard it is not very good, but I like to snorkel any chance I get.

The snorkeling is not great, but it's OK. I found that the rocks on the edge of Nellies Beach to be decent. Some coral, lots of colourful fish. But, this is hit and miss.. I've been there 3 times, and only 1 day was calm and clear enough to snorkle. Here are some pics...

DSC_0146_zps01f1bb57.jpg

DSC_0173_zps284651d8.jpg