Why cruise with Celebrity

PhilHamburg

So maybe the OP's point was that the tagline of "Modern Luxury" led him to have unmet expectations which resulted in him being unhappy. . .

I think that may have something to do with it. Personally, I've never liked the "Modern Luxury" theme. For one, what exactly does that term really mean? I have no idea. :rolleyes:

Also, "luxury" really is a term-of-art, in the cruise industry. Celebrity is not (and never has been) in the league with the true "Luxe" lines (Crystal, Seaborne, etc.). I've seen Celebrity described as a "premium" line, or an upper-level "mainstream" line. Equating Celebrity's product with "luxury" is just setting new cruisers up for unrealistic expectations -- and ultimately disappointment -- IMHO.

I think that may have something to do with it. Personally, I've never liked the "Modern Luxury" theme. For one, what exactly does that term really mean? I have no idea. :rolleyes:

Also, "luxury" really is a term-of-art, in the cruise industry. Celebrity is not (and never has been) in the league with the true "Luxe" lines (Crystal, Seaborne, etc.). I've seen Celebrity described as a "premium" line, or an upper-level "mainstream" line. Equating Celebrity's product with "luxury" is just setting new cruisers up for unrealistic expectations -- and ultimately disappointment -- IMHO.

Good points. The term Modern Luxury means nothing to me and I have ZERO expectation of receiving true luxury when paying <$50/night!! I never pay any attention to ANY advertising hype, but I have really enjoyed all my X cruises and feel that I've gotten excellent value for money. I also don't expect 'gourmet cuisine' in what is essentially a banquet hall feeding over 2000people per night--thus, I am never disappointed. Sometimes the food does exceed my expectations and then I am 'happy'!! ;)

Tommy3, The thread was started at 5:31am today in Germany. You complain about the OP not coming back?

Original Poster:

Celebrity marketing got us once. The disappointment steered us to other lines.

You did raise a storm with your comments. Just forget the cheerleaders' drama. We're sorry about the money you spent.

Trudy

Thank you for the review.

Go back and read the entire thread and then read my post. The OP used an inflammatory title to this thread which had since been changed. I stand by my comment.

Still haven't seen another post from OP

Edited by Tommy3putts
edit

Celebrity offers a good product for the price, but that price continues to escalate, which IMO makes the M class ships overpriced and not a great value.

My last sailing on the Infinity will be my last on the M's. My first sailing on the Infinity was in Jan 2012, post solstization . It felt fresher and newer.

I feel the same about the Millennium....old and worn out.

My biggist complaint with those ships is the layout in the Oceanview cafe. Awful.

Re: Modern luxury. The solstice ships are modern and I feel at least somewhat luxurious.

By reading the post it is clear that the OP understands and uses English quite well, so I rather doubt that his English fails at only the title. :rolleyes:

Far from it. The only mistakes weren't in the title, with other odd terms, misspellings, and non-existent words. Take this sentence for example: "Upon booking I confide in Celebrity that they wouldn´t dare to let a 13-year-old ship age without helping with a decent amound of "asthetic surgery" - but they did: They saved the pot of paint, the new towels, the replacement of worn plates. "

I'm quite supportive of the OP's language efforts, but it's misleading to state that everything else was well-written in English, except the title. :rolleyes:

Then I think that is someone's choice. They can try to find something that meets their expectations or they can continue to go on a vacation that doesn't and complain about it. If a cruise line didn't meet my expectations, I certainly wouldn't continue to go on them and be miserable because I'm always complaining. But that is just me.

That appears to be what the OP is doing. He sailed once with Celebrity and enjoyed it, and then a second time and didn't, and now implies he will look elsewhere.

Interesting thread despite the "problem" with the original post title. Just my 2 cents: Recently sailed the Summit to Bermuda - first time on Celebrity. The experience was well below our expectations (based not on the slogan but on other older cruises with RCL and Princess). In summary, we felt we were paying high service prices to subsidize the perks enjoyed by the frequent Celebrity cruisers. For example prices for drink packages, internet, laundry, chef's dinner table etc, were sky high and the general belief amongst other first timers was that we were there not as guests/passengers but just to fill the ship and subsidize the benefits of others. IT IS expected and acceptable that frequent cruisers should enjoy more benefits, but the company already made a profit from their many cruises. Why should a first-time cruiser pay such high prices for an average product on par or below the similar products of other cruise lines?

Good points. The term Modern Luxury means nothing to me and I have ZERO expectation of receiving true luxury when paying <$50/night!! I never pay any attention to ANY advertising hype, but I have really enjoyed all my X cruises and feel that I've gotten excellent value for money. I also don't expect 'gourmet cuisine' in what is essentially a banquet hall feeding over 2000people per night--thus, I am never disappointed. Sometimes the food does exceed my expectations and then I am 'happy'!! ;)

I know that we have never manage to pay that little for a Celebrity cruise! If we had then we also would have been happy with what we got.

Maybe prices are higher here in the Uk and perhaps in Germany, if so, then we would have higher expectations of luxury.

Celebrity also failed us in our expectations!

Here in England the advertising is supposed to be true and not misleading.

Whilst the tag line might be misleading (my German is none too accurate so I daren't criticise), but I hear what the OP is saying. I too feel that Celebrity don't deliver. They are more 'style over substance'. As a coupke, we fit the demographics of a Celebrity guest (according to their blurb) but they were completely unsatisfactory in our first experience. Overall the dining and entertainment were well below par. The staterooms were 'plastic'; tacky fixtures and fittings. There was a disconnected almost resentful atmosphere on board. However, 3 years and several cruises later, we have discovered our perfect itinerary but our previous Celebrity experience makes us anxious - do they deserve a second chance?

No 10 out of 10. We received such great service on the eqinox last year.

As did we earlier this year, though did note that staff in the MDR seemed to be struggling, as in not enough of them resulting in longer wait times between courses/Wine waiter attention. This seems to be something many regular cruisers are seeing on other lines too.

Overall the dining and entertainment were well below par. The staterooms were 'plastic'; tacky fixtures and fittings. There was a disconnected almost resentful atmosphere on board. However, 3 years and several cruises later, we have discovered our perfect itinerary but our previous Celebrity experience makes us anxious - do they deserve a second chance?

That's the question only you can decide.

Though I agree with a comment from earlier, only if you have low expectations will you be more likely to be happy.

We just got off of Infinity, and we had some of the best dining room service we have ever had. :)

I agree, we had amazing service in the dining room (we were in Select). Our server was beyond excellent. We were disappointed by some of the activities though, there have definitely been cutbacks there that are showing.