Getting off ship on first tender

Ewoodspark

I know that for tender ports, NCL ships start dishing out numbered tender tickets some time before arrival. Apart from getting in the queue first to ensure getting off on the first tender, has anybody ever requested from customer services on board ship to be on the first tender. For personal reasons I need to be in port as soon as possible. Do customer services take any heed of special requests?

I know that for tender ports, NCL ships start dishing out numbered tender tickets some time before arrival. Apart from getting in the queue first to ensure getting off on the first tender, has anybody ever requested from customer services on board ship to be on the first tender. For personal reasons I need to be in port as soon as possible. Do customer services take any heed of special requests?

Yes. I have requested it before, and it was honored.

As some have mentioned, Suites, VIP's and ships excursions usually get the first one or two tenders. You are unlikely to bump any of them. However, if you have a true "situation" that requires you to be ashore early. Ask at guest services. Remember though, there are many others that think they also have a "situation" requiring early departure. Meeting a private tour or friends and family will probably not get you to the head of the line. Good luck.

NCL is a US based company, with headquarters in Florida - UK laws do not apply. Now, you are free to tip how you wish. However, when in Rome...

There are some employees in the US who are not allowed to accept tips or gifts (my DH can't accept gifts from clients). They will just politely say no thanks - it's not illegal to offer, though.

Tenders are an issue, they take extra time and are limited. I'll speculate this OP wants the first tender because they booked an independent early tour? Sorry, but hardly any emergency that puts you to the head of the line, nor entitles you to special treatment. Many people want off the ship for various reasons.

As stated, suites and Platinum cruises get those first tenders. Hopefully you have an early port day, as the demand is more spread out, compared to later port times.

Without any favors, I suggest you be in line (either with a tender ticket or at the tender ticket line) at least 30 minutes prior to the posted time, being ready to go. You should not have any significant wait.

Now if you have a 10am port time, as an example, make the ready to go time, an hour.

I'll speculate this OP wants the first tender because they booked an independent early tour?

Your speculation is totally incorrect. The reason is personal as I stated and nothing at all to do with independant tours.I was trying to see if other passengers had indeed been successful in their request to Guest Services to be on the first tender and I thank SissasMomE for her input

Edited by Ewoodspark

Your speculation is totally incorrect. The reason is personal as I stated and nothing at all to do with independant tours.I was trying to see if other passengers had indeed been successful in their request to Guest Services to be on the first tender and I thank SissasMomE for her input

I would guess that some people were successful due to their "personal" situation. I would also guess many others were NOT, due to their "personal" situation.

I can't possibly think of a reason, except medical, that someone would need to jump ahead of others that are standing in line. But I'm sure there are reasons that I can't think of.

So, if you have valid reasons (in the eyes of customer service) for wanting this...ask, all they can say is no. Even if not one single other person has never tried this (which obviously one poster on here has). There is always a first time. Customer service does try to accommodate people when they can.

Good luck.

Edited by Skubi

If you explain to reception the reason I am sure they will do what they can to assist you. There are no guarantees. Obviously suite and VIP passengers, as well as those who have organized NCL tours are usually the first off.

Problem with that: not everyone has access to the concierge.

On the Dawn there was a concierge lounge with easy access .

I was referring to my own experience as I wished to tender early in Bar Harbor, Maine .

The concierge knows better than anyone on how many suite guest want to be off early and are on top of what excursions are available and how full they are .

I did realize I was asking a lot and did commensurate gratuity accordingly .

Edited by biker@sea

Tenders are an issue, they take extra time and are limited. I'll speculate this OP wants the first tender because they booked an independent early tour? Sorry, but hardly any emergency that puts you to the head of the line, nor entitles you to special treatment. Many people want off the ship for various reasons.

As stated, suites and Platinum cruises get those first tenders. Hopefully you have an early port day, as the demand is more spread out, compared to later port times.

Without any favors, I suggest you be in line (either with a tender ticket or at the tender ticket line) at least 30 minutes prior to the posted time, being ready to go. You should not have any significant wait.

Now if you have a 10am port time, as an example, make the ready to go time, an hour.

I agree with your comment. What else could be important that you need to be first off in an unfamiliar port.

I say line up with everyone else to get your tender ticket or book a suite!

I can think of many reasons why it would be important to get off the ship as early as possible that have nothing to do with private excursions. The OP has stated his reasons are personal and if we cannot respect that we at least have to accept it.

To the OP...the best advice you've gotten here is to just ask. Speak to guest services as soon as possible after boarding. Hopefully it will work out for you. Good luck.

Rochelle

I can think of many reasons why it would be important to get off the ship as early as possible that have nothing to do with private excursions. The OP has stated his reasons are personal and if we cannot respect that we at least have to accept it.

To the OP...the best advice you've gotten here is to just ask. Speak to guest services as soon as possible after boarding. Hopefully it will work out for you. Good luck.

Rochelle

Give me 5 reasons and I'll shoot them down as to why they are not important. The only reason for me would be a handicap issue and even then I've seen wheelchairs being lifted into tender boats along with the queue.

Give me 5 reasons and I'll shoot them down as to why they are not important. The only reason for me would be a handicap issue and even then I've seen wheelchairs being lifted into tender boats along with the queue.

As stated, I had a reason, and they were kind enough to accommodate me. Who cares if you think the reason is good enough or not?! Frankly, it's none of your business what the OP's reason is.

No body wants to see any one get a break unless its them getting the special treatment. If you get better treatment than me or you get more than I do good for you all I ask is I get what I paid for. I do not care about the next guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Your speculation is totally incorrect. The reason is personal as I stated and nothing at all to do with independent tours.I was trying to see if other passengers had indeed been successful in their request to Guest Services to be on the first tender...

Many of the answers here are no help because people are comparing or judging unknown situations for people jumping the line.

The OP is one of these categories. Do any of the posters here know which one?

A) Valid reason and the staff will help.

B) Not a valid reason, and told to wait in line with others.

C) Not so valid, but staff says yes anyways because they do not want to deal with an upset customer.

NOBODY HERE KNOWS WHICH CATEGORY THE OP FALLS IN. Why do people try to answer when they do not know?

I just do not understand how people can answer a question without knowing what is being asked. If the OP does not want to share, that is fine. But, they can not get an answer either.

I am not interested in getting into an argument with you, but I will tell you of two circumstances where, for the people involved, it was important for them to get an early start to their day.

One situation involved a woman who was visiting an island where she had made prior arrangement with a village and a minister some distance from where the ship tendered. It was her mother's wishes to have her ashes scattered there. I can understand why this woman's time at this destination was precious wanting enough time for the simple service and some personal time as well. I know this was a difficult process for her.

Another situation involves a small group who rather than sight-seeing in a port were planning to spend their time ashore making a large donation and volunteering at a local school/orphanage. Their desire to get off the ship early was not for personal gain but rather so that they could give more of themselves. Believe it or not some people do not advertise their philanthropy, preferring to keep it a personal matter.

I am sure if you want you can 'shoot these situations down' but the fact remains there are circumstances beyond a private excursion where someone would want to leave a ship as early as possible. They don't need to discuss their reasons here on Cruise Critic. What they need to do is to speak to the appropriate people once on board the ship. As evidenced here people have asked before and been granted and that is the information needed by the OP. Sorry but your and anyone else from this boards validation and approval is not necessary. Again the OP stated the reason was personal there is no need to goad them to make it public.

Rochelle

Pay no attention to the rabble rousers. I hope that you get the earliest tender available.

I hate when a thread deteriorates so.

Best wishes

Betty