Saving Pool Chairs

HMAN

We will be on the Zuiderdam in November and I want to know if everyone goes out to the pool at 6:00am and throws a towel on a chair and comes back three hours later????

We've been on Carnival and Princess a few times and it's getting worse and worse..... I don't care if you go out, sit in one and save another for your spouse.... who might be eating... but to leave chairs covered and unattended for long periods of time is just rude...... and not fair to the other guests....

Does anyone else feel this way?????

Or are you inconsiderate chair hogs?????

Hope to hear from a lot of you.:)

H.:) :)

Chair hogs is one of the often hot topics on this board. Saving chairs is a no-no. Putting your stuff on the chair while you're away momentarily is one thing ... but going out early and marking your spot then not coming out for hours is thoughtless. It does happen, but not to the degree on HAL as I've seen elsewhere.

Don't mess with me on sea days!!!

There have a number of times when we got to the aft pool at 9:30 AM and all the chairs had books, etc (not towels) on them and very people around.

We waited 15 minutes for people to return. Then we turned in anything on lounges that we wished to use to the attendents to turn into the front office.

And everytime we did this the people were over 2 hours before they came back - and I told them point blank "If you have an issue - go see the front desk" - and I told them when we arrived and pointed out the time they came back.

Case closed.

And everytime we did this the people were over 2 hours before they came back - and I told them point blank "If you have an issue - go see the front desk" - and I told them when we arrived and pointed out the time they came back.>>>

i also do the above with one exception-----------i tell them that one of the pool boys removed their stuff because they saw the lounge was not being used

And there have many times when we watched the lounges next to us stay unoccupied for well over 3 hours with only a paperback book or suntan lotion bottle sitting on the lounge chair and the attendents never bothered to remove anything so that anyone esle may use those chairs.

LIKE I SAID - you may not know who we are - BUT DON"T MESS WITH US!!

It's fair to say that chair hogging is a cruise industry-wide phenomenon (wow... can't believed I spelled 'phenomenon' right!). The Zuiderdam is no exception unfortunately. What kills me is the pool side tables and chairs that people throw stuff to on (or leave half filled drinks and a hat or something) while they are also hogging a louge chair somewhere nearby.

We've never had any trouble with chair hogs on HAL, but we rarely go to the caribbean, ours are cooler weather cruises, maybe this is the difference.

I know from experience on HMC that some people feel a sense of entitlement as many people tried to invade our cabana, take our water toys, and hog our view, even though the area is roped off. We had to tell them that we paid for the privilege of camping there. Still many ignored us.

GN

Some people never learned good manners and there is nothing you or I can do to teach these people manners.

I don't turn their items in. I lay them on the deck or put them on an empty table or chair. I figure they left them there because they did not want them anymore.

Anyone care to comment about saving seats in the shows?????????????????

Jim & Ruth

LOL!!!! Beats taking home towels!

I am one who always saves chairs from my cruise. I have a whole collection at home. Sure, their a little difficult to pack, but later when I am home I have souvenir from my voyage.

I will grab a chair in a location I don't really want and watch a lounge chair in a better spot. If no one comes within 30 min to claim their stuff, I move it and grab the chair. Is 30min not long enough? I guess someone could be eating lunch...but they should remove their stuff and take their chances when they come back.

I am one who always saves chairs from my cruise. I have a whole collection at home. Sure, their a little difficult to pack, but later when I am home I have souvenir from my voyage.
hahahaha good answer :) Thanks for the laugh :)

We didnt have much trouble finding a free chair on the Zuiderdam but the Caribbean Princess was another story!!! eeeeks, we would go to breakfast in the buffet at 7am and there were chairs marked with towels and books! I mean like 50% of the chairs were marked! It was sooooo bad!

One of the reasons that we like HAL so much is that there are more than enough chairs to go around. Haven't seen much of the saving chair phenomenon. Definately not in the Baltic and in the Caribbean on the Westerdam there was always plenty of room for everyone.

Now some of those all-inclusive resorts in the Dominican Republic were horrible but I used the 30 minute rule and just moved the things that were in a place that we wanted. Nobody has ever said anything in ten years. (and I'm not scary looking either!<g>)

I've heard from people on other lines that it is a big problem.

jan

My sister suggests going out in the morning and sticking a big wad of icky sticky chewing gum to the center of a choice chair. Noone will sit there. Then, you can come along with your ice cube, freeze the wad of gum loose and have the chair all to yourself:D.

So, now we all have to add Bubbleyum to our packing list, right?

mrsraggy

Never had too much of a probelm with HAL. We always use the aft pool and on some longer cruises its very empty. On seven day cruises it becomes more of an issue, especially on other lines.

On the Celebrity Summit they have a nice area that is between the two pools. Problem is it was always staked out very early. At 8AM it was full so I one day I went out to see what it looked like at 6:30AM -- it was full ? I asked the pool attendent and he said it was like that when he came on duty at 6AM. Remember it can always be worse.

I concure totally with KK on this one.

If the cruise line issued each cabin with a plastic clip with the cabin number on it (one for each occupant) that clip would be placed on the chair or lounger and the person who doesn't come back for hours at atime could have a deck steward hold their possessions with the clip or call their cabin and ask them to use the lounge or remove their goodies. No clip, no holding of lounge. If they loose their clip because it was left all day, they could get anew one from the purser with a reminder not to hog chairs!:eek:

Archived