Mendenhall glacier Alaska

whirley

Whether it's worth it depends entirely on your priorities.

The view is entirely different. We took a guided hike to Mendenhall and hiked on the glacier, which is a single glacier, whereas Glacier Bay is a multi-hour sail through with viewing of many glaciers and numerous wildlife. There's a Visitor's Center with some exhibits at Mendenhall, if that's of interest to you, as well as some hiking trails. Do a search for some photos of each.

What else do you want to do in Juneau? How high are glaciers on your priority list, when compared with other activities?

Mendenhall certainly is a great visit, as mentioned above- If of interest to YOU. :)

It is a great add on with a whale watch or flight as well.

I suggest you figure out how you wish to spend your day, determining if you wish to include Mendenhall.

As for Glacier Bay, you see at least 4 glaciers in Glacier Bay, sailing by. Glacier Bay is a multiple hour scenic sailing day. For some, like myself, I never tire of visiting glaciers. And will be sailing Glacier Bay for my third time this year, in a few weeks.

Is it worth visiting this glacier when on a cruise as the ship goes into glacier bay. What are the comparisons

If you are going to Juneau first, then yes.

If you are going to Glacier Bay first, then I'd say "maybe, depends how much you like glaciers".

You can't get that close to Mendenhall anymore, but you can get close enough to see it clearly, and the waterfall in that spot is beautiful.

I went to Mendenhall in 1995 and walked right up to it. Sad that isn't possible anymore.

It was a part of a great excursion for us. We loved the walk back and the waterfall was awesome beside the Glacier. My only regret is we only had one hour to visit. We did a whale watch, dinner at Orca Point Lodge, tram up the mountain and shopping. Rested well that night and definately my favorite stop.

If you are going to Juneau first, then yes.

If you are going to Glacier Bay first, then I'd say "maybe, depends how much you like glaciers".

You can't get that close to Mendenhall anymore, but you can get close enough to see it clearly, and the waterfall in that spot is beautiful.

I went to Mendenhall in 1995 and walked right up to it. Sad that isn't possible anymore.

Yes, so true of Mendenhall. We visited in 1999 and when visiting last summer I thought my mind was playing tricks on me! So much further away and smaller. It is worth the visit though as well as the visitor center which is included in the National Parks pass if you have one.

To me, this attraction is a one-two punch, with Nugget Falls being perhaps the largest waterfall you'll see. I was there on a bright sunny day a couple weeks ago and will post a pic or two this evening. Here is a pic from a dark, rainy day in 2010:

Picture200_zps79ae61b7.jpg

Picture199_zps784b4c50.jpg

Picture157_zps02815406.jpg

Edited by fishin' musician

I think the two are a totally different experience. It's like saying if you've seen one mountain, you've seen them all.

With glacier bay you get 4 glaciers, but you also get the tranquillity and serenity of this wonderful bay, you get beautiful turquoise waters and scenery to die for. You may also see some calving.

With Mendenhall you get the beauty of a rainforest setting and again stunning scenery. I loved the short hike in the rainforest. Also there is a salmon stream there.

I know I'm glad I didn't miss either one. It's Alaska and you want to soak up every bit that you can!

Edited by marysb

We did the Glacier Trek with Above and Beyond where you hike to the Glacier (opposite side of the falls) and go into the ice caves, look down into the crevasses and Moulin's. My family thought it was the highlight of the trip.

Ours was 9 hours....here is an approximate breakout.

Break out

30 minute drive to trail head

45 minute getting equipped and sized for gear

3hr hike to glacier

1.5hr on glacier

30 minute in Ice Cave

2hr back to trail head (we went fast)

15 minute getting equipment separated and loaded in truck

30 minute drive to ship

My wife wore her fitbit and she burned 3800 calories and did 171 flight of stairs on the hike. Somewhere between 25,000 and 26,000 steps.

There is another group that takes a helicopter ride to the top and then outfits you with climbing gear - walk around do your thing and they fly you back out. I think it is 4 hours.

Edited by TxHunter

so if we take the bus out to the glacier and visitor center, i am partially in a wheel chair, will i still be able to get around. I really like to see the Black Bear over look. We leave in a couple weeks.

The visitor center has a ramp, plus an elevator, the Photo Point trail is all sidewalk. the Nugget Falls trail is not really accessible with a wheelchair, gravel. The "bear" overlook is accessible but the not by the visitor center.

Another issue is your transportation, I have not seen wheelchair lifts on the shuttle buses. The city buses have ramps, but drop off is over a mile away.

If you can walk on the bus, they can accommodate wheelchair storage on the shuttle buses.

Ship tours would likely have more options with wheelchair lifts.

The visitor center has a ramp, plus an elevator, the Photo Point trail is all sidewalk. the Nugget Falls trail is not really accessible with a wheelchair, gravel. The "bear" overlook is accessible but the not by the visitor center.

Another issue is your transportation, I have not seen wheelchair lifts on the shuttle buses. The city buses have ramps, but drop off is over a mile away.

If you can walk on the bus, they can accommodate wheelchair storage on the shuttle buses.

Ship tours would likely have more options with wheelchair lifts.

so is both the shuttles and the buses a mile from stop?

Ours was 9 hours....here is an approximate breakout.

If you don't want to pay for a tour and are fit hikers, you can also climb the West Glacier Trail for the price of a roundtrip local bus. No walking on the glacier, no ice caves, but an amazing climactic viewpoint where you're far above the glacier looking down at the helicopters that have landed there. It does require some planning, and you end up far from the ship. But it's one of the most awesome hikes I've ever done, and I've climbed Half Dome and Mt. Whitney.