Heathrow Departure

Scottydogs

We are looking at booking airfare for our British Isles cruise next June. There is a flight home that leaves Heathrow at 11:40 am. Princess says not to book flights until after 12:00 pm. Are we taking a big risk in booking the flight with the 11:40 am departure?

We are looking at booking airfare for our British Isles cruise next June. There is a flight home that leaves Heathrow at 11:40 am. Princess says not to book flights until after 12:00 pm. Are we taking a big risk in booking the flight with the 11:40 am departure?

You do not state which port are you disembarking from, Southhampton, Dover? Likely Southampton I imagine

Actually, in either case neither is near Heathrow and you need to plan on travel time and then time in advance at Heathrow for an international flight. So YES, 11:40 am is a big risk IMO. I would try for an afternoon flight

Recently, we disembarked the Ruby in Southampton and took the ship's transfer to Heathrow. Disembarkation went very quickly, customs was non-existent and the ride to Heathrow took about 1.5 hours. But, from the moment we entered the terminal (2 - the new one for all Star Alliance airlines including United) until we finally reached our gate it took 2 hours to get through check-in, SECURITY, and finally making the the VERY LONG TREK to get to our gate. Yes, there was a very brief stop at the ladies room while DH ran into a shop to get a bottle of water, but that was it.

You be the judge. You'll need at least minimum 4 hours to make your flight and that is if all goes well.

There is NO WAY I'd book that early a flight...

Your ship arrives that morning in SOUTHAMPTON...

Even without considering traffic, you are talking about an hour and a half MINIMUM drive...and that is if you have someone picking you up and dropping you off. If you are hiring a car, add enough time to go get the car and to drop off the car and get shuttled to the terminal...And, since there is also often traffic heading in toward London, figure it is going to take more than that hour and a half...and Heathrow itself takes some time to navigate...

Then realize that you will likely need to get to the airport at least two, perhaps three, hours prior to your flight...(and remember, Heathrow can be a bit confusing--for example, they don't tell you which gate to report to until about 30-45 minutes before your flight boards)...and the airport...and each terminal...are very big and very busy...

If you plan on taking any other form of transportation--trains, buses, etc., it is going to take you more time than this...

So, under any circumstances, plan on getting off the ship no earlier than 9:00...Then figure on needing AT LEAST 5 hours of cushion for travel time and airport time...SO, the EARLIEST I would even consider a flight out is 2:00 pm...and even that would have me a bit stressed...

I have done many cruises from the UK...From both Southampton and from Dover...And I have NEVER flown out the same day...My plan has always been to book a train (Southern RR has very cheap fares from Southampton to Central London), then spend a couple of nioghts enjoying London, then taking a taxi or shuttle to Heathrow for my flight out a couple of days later when I'm more in control of my timing!

Good luck...

We also came back into Heathrow from a Ruby cruise to Southampton and took the Princess bus transfers. It does take time and if you haven't printed your boarding passes ahead of time, the delay can be long. Best to fly out after

1:00 pm as Princess recommends. We did have time to shop in the stores, have a cup of coffee and found a seat somewhere in the middle of the terminal so we could see the board regarding our flight and departure gate as soon as it appeared......usually 30 minutes prior to boarding. At least everyone speaks English Ha..Ha and answer any questions you might have. It is rather confusing where you first get to the terminal!

Edited by gacruisergal

It's over 60 miles from Heathrow to Southampton, so allow an hour and a half. Particularly with the extra security at airports, this is taking a big risk. You really need to be at the airport 3 hours before your flight, so at that rate you need to take transport from Southampton not much later than 7am. That's unlikely to happen.

Do the math: 1.5-2 hours to get to LHR, 3 hours before flight recommended for check in. So, you need to plan on 4.5-5 hours after disembarking. Only way you could comfortably make an 11:40am flight is if you are physically off the ship by 7am.

The lines for check in and Security at Heathrow are extremely long. Expect it to take at least an hour to just get through Security. Often, planes are parked on the tarmac with about a 10-minute bus transfer from the gate to the plane. Even for international flights. So the gate closes about 20 minutes before the flight.

The only way to speed up the process at LHR is if you are flying Business or First Class, or require wheelchair assistance.

Thanks all for your advise. We have decided definitely not even consider the 11:40 departure. Will definitely book a late flight, maybe even the next day.

Very wise.

We live about 30 minutes west of Southampton and last year I left at 08.30 for a 14.00 flight out of T5, on the basis that I wanted to drop the car off at 10.30.

Two hours to get through Heathrow is really pushing it, particularly is you have a satellite gate. It is possible but you will need to have Business or First tickets which give access to the Fast Track to be really confident in mid morning.

OK now I am a little worried. We leave in 2 weeks for our cruise out of Southampton. We arrive back to port on a Monday and we have 12:30 flight out of LHR. I have a car service picking us up at 7:30 taking us back to LHR, am I going to have plenty of time or should I have my pick up time earlier.

OK now I am a little worried. We leave in 2 weeks for our cruise out of Southampton. We arrive back to port on a Monday and we have 12:30 flight out of LHR. I have a car service picking us up at 7:30 taking us back to LHR, am I going to have plenty of time or should I have my pick up time earlier.

You probably will make the flight, especially if your ticket-type or frequent-flyer status gives you some priority at the airport. However, I would be very concerned about the unpredictable possibility of not being able to disembark until well after 07:30, or severe traffic, or crowds at LHR, or .... Being averse to worrying situations, I would never book a flight from LHR that early.

If, through some ticketing misadventure, we found ourselves booked on that flight, I would pay the penalty (if not too large) to change to a later flight or (better) a subsequent-day flight, and avoid the worry. Given the abundance of things to see and do in and near London, we would opt to stay for whatever additional days that we could manage, despite having been there many times before.

John

Edited by J-D

I wish you good luck. Heathrow is a nightmare, to put it plainly, since you don't find out your departure gate until they assign it. We have had to change terminals (which are not close to one another) with a half-hour notice. We once had a flight delay and had to sleep in the airport most of the night. It's not a comfortable place to hang out. (Every hotel was already booked.) Looking at the map, Southampton seems close to London, but English topography is different from the western USA. Pick up time will depend on Princess and whether they let you off the ship earlier. You can try this flight, but it's a gamble, IMO.

We flew out of LHR at the end of June. It was a Saturday and we used the Princess transfer. The drive took an hour and fifteen minutes. We flew on BA out of T-5 and thankfully we were flying first class because it was an absolute zoo! It was the weekend that there was a glitch in the baggage system and the lines were incredible even for Business Class. I had a 2:30 flight and made it with time to spare. I'm not sure I would risk anything earlier though, especially if flying in coach or even business.

When we disembarked in Southampton, we took the Princess shuttle. We were on one of the first buses to depart the pier. Our flight was at 4pm. We arrived at the airport a little past 9am. For $75 we were able to change our tickets and get on the 10:20am flight, with plenty of time to spare. :)

I have been looking for flights for our British Isles cruise. Below is what Princess is selling with EZ Air. I am wondering what time the Princess transfer coach will leave Southampton to allow enough time to make this flight? I am now thinking of staying an extra day and taking an "Inspector Lewis" tour of Oxford.

Return

02 JUN 15 LHR 12:25 PM Return MSP 03:40 PM 9h 15m

Operated by DELTA AIR LINES

02 JUN 15 MSP 05:45 PM Return SMF 07:35 PM 3h 50m

Total trip duration: 15h 10m

For our last cruise which ended in England (Dover not Southampton), we rented a car and went to Hampton Court for the day. We then drove on to Heathrow and spent the night at the Marriott (returning the car the same day). Our flight home was the following morning. For us this was much less stressful than trying to rush back to catch a flight. Of course, your mileage may vary - especially if you are not comfortable driving in England...;)

I have been looking for flights for our British Isles cruise. Below is what Princess is selling with EZ Air. I am wondering what time the Princess transfer coach will leave Southampton to allow enough time to make this flight? I am now thinking of staying an extra day and taking an "Inspector Lewis" tour of Oxford.

Return

02 JUN 15 LHR 12:25 PM Return MSP 03:40 PM 9h 15m

02 JUN 15 MSP 05:45 PM Return SMF 07:35 PM 3h 50m

Total trip duration: 15h 10m

If Princess is selling it, then Princess believes you can realistically make that flight with a Princess xfer.

If I were you, I'd do walk-off disembarkation carrying all your bags and have your driver there at 7am. A lot depends on how many ships are in port and what time your ship is due in (earlier the better obviously). If you get in gear and make sure you're off by 7am and on the road, you should be fine.

For our last cruise which ended in England (Dover not Southampton), we rented a car and went to Hampton Court for the day. We then drove on to Heathrow and spent the night at the Marriott (returning the car the same day). Our flight home was the following morning. For us this was much less stressful than trying to rush back to catch a flight. Of course, your mileage may vary - especially if you are not comfortable driving in England...;)

That's almost exactly what I did. It was wonderful not having to rush to LHR for a change at the end of a cruise. My tour was through International Friends though and we also went to Salsbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. It was very well run and a great way to end a cruise!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario