Haven suite connecting cabin and minors ??

Bettytrouble

There was a thread about this several days ago that has disappeared so to the purists I apologize in advance. A search was fruitless.

We booked a forward penthouse and connecting balcony for our family . The PCc put 2 kids in the balcony, DH and on child and me in the FFPH. I understand the part where I can't do online check in for the child who is named as the" owner " of the reservation. All my children are minors.

When I first inquired, a supervisor told me that when we checked in, I would be paying at the pier an extra 699 for the 2 children in the balcony room so that they would be able to have Haven access. This is fine with me.

Before you ask- we have sailed in the 2 br on the Jewel class which are larger than on the Getaway class and now that our kids are tall we realize that it won' t be so comfy, so that is why we are going this route. Not trying to be cheap or game the system- was ready to pony up the cash at the pier.

We also prefer to be in the same room and connecting is a good compromise.

After I had it all booked the PCC said absolutely not, I couldn't pay anyone, and that they would not be allowed in for any price. Anyone have experience with this? From what I have read about how much there is to do on this ship the kids may not care, but I found the two opposing answers weird. From reading these boards, I suppose I can expect this from NCL !

The children in the connecting room are 13 and 15.

And please don't just reply with " why don't you just book a 2br" - thank you, but I explained that. Not interested.

Just curious as to any experience others have had with this situation.

Thanks

Betty

Edited by Bettytrouble

They can in connecting cabins. I think they have a fake age on the reservation, or perhaps no age. Not sure how it works. But the 2 kids are listed in the balcony, the other 3 of us in the suite. The computer doesn't " know" that the parents are in the connecting room, so can't to online check in when a DOB of 1/18/2000 would have to be entered!

The " supervisor" told me that at the pier when we signed child 3 and 4 in, we would make payments of 699 each, receive their Haven room key and be on our way.

So much seems not correct here!

I know at least they will let us board together.....

Edited by Bettytrouble

Paying at the pier?? I have never heard of that. You better call them back .... unless I misunderstood?

As for checking them in, you can call and do it. I had to call and check my minors in when they were in the cabin connecting to ours.

Minors in a cabin connecting to the parents suite have access to the Haven with their parents - unless they have recently changed the policy. I'm not sure where the "$699 at the pier" came from though. Money isn't even exchanged at the pier. I'd call them back.

Edited by SissasMomE

Paying at the pier?? I have never heard of that. You better call them back .... unless I misunderstood?

As for checking them in, you can call and do it. I had to call and check my minors in when they were in the cabin connecting to ours.

Minors in a cabin connecting to the parents suite have access to the Haven with their parents - unless they have recently changed the policy. I'm not sure where the "$699 at the pier" came from though. Money isn't even exchanged at the pier. I'd call them back.

The PCC said the supervisor was wrong and that the couldn't go to the Haven PERIOD. They'll have to on embarkation day cuz I ain' t leaving them behind!

I don't even know who to call ... And why do they have the suite with the connecting balcony ANYWAY????? It has to be for families!!!

Thank you, SissasmomE

I just read a Getaway review where the mom says she had a FFPH and balcony - she did not say that the kids were banished!

Kids are not banished from the Haven. Free to come and go as long as they have a Platimum Haven keycard. We were on the BA 7/6 with a 12 y/o in out group with no issues whatsoever. Also families with kids on strollers in the lounge and dining room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Kids are not banished from the Haven. Free to come and go as long as they have a Platimum Haven keycard. We were on the BA 7/6 with a 12 y/o in out group with no issues whatsoever. Also families with kids on strollers in the lounge and dining room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not kids in general. We have been in the Haven in 2 br suites 3 -4 times. Referring to our 2 kids that are in the connecting cabin. Was told we would pay the 4th and 5th passenger rate for them at the pier in order to get the Haven silver card. When I booked several hours later, in the connecting room, the PCC said absolutely no access for those 2 children only. Our third child, booked in the suite, is fine.

But thanks!!!

Edited by Bettytrouble

Yes the original thread was deleted because of name calling to the OP because she asked a serious question. Not sure why the moderators don't just banish those who abuse the rules instead of deleting a thread that asks a question.

I read the same Getaway review where the parents booked a forward penthouse and also booked the connecting balcony for the kids. They were paying more for both cabins so why would NCL separate the kids from the parents when both rooms connect. The parents could have saved money and had the kids camp out on the sofa bed. But they booked another cabin. I don't see the logic in separating the kids from the parents especially since the parents are spending more money. Both cabins would be more than a 2 bedroom suite too.

But this is why I think it gets confusing. On some of the Jewel class ships some suites do not have Haven access and the Haven is extremely small for only a small number of suites that have Haven access. So I can see why NCL could limit people entering the Haven. They even limit those in suites that don't have Haven access. On the newer and bigger ships like Epic, BA, and GA, every suite has Haven access. Besides this GA review I have read other reviews on these ships where parents did the same thing and the kids had Haven access IF the rooms connect. It makes total sense to me.

I hope the same bullies don't chime in again with name calling and accusing the OP of trying to get something for nothing or something.

Edited by david_sobe

A few different issues here.

The topic of non paying suite guests always gets heated. I would think that most people get that. (most, no all).

Anyways - I have NEVER heard to the pay extra at the pier thing. Ever. Not saying it does not happen, just never seen it posted.

Kids are never banished from Haven. Other people that are booked in non-haven suites are not allowed in Haven.

Seems that somebody else ran into this recently and posted on how NCL lets you book somebody in the suite AND in another cabin to handle the Haven issues. Maybe if scan down through the past week you can find that.

Good luck.

Edited by garycarla

A few different issues here.

The topic of non paying suite guests always gets heated. I would think that most people get that. (most, no all).

Anyways - I have NEVER heard to the pay extra at the pier thing. Ever. Not saying it does not happen, just never seen it posted.

Kids are never banished from Haven. Other people that are booked in non-haven suites are not allowed in Haven.

Seems that somebody else ran into this recently and posted on how NCL lets you book somebody in the suite AND in another cabin to handle the Haven issues. Maybe if scan down through the past week you can find that.

Good luck.

My first week back at NCL after an RCL hiatus, first time using a PCC - well, three of them. First one never returned my call, second sent me to the supervisor of " pay at the pier " fame and the third put my minor kids in a connecting cabin and said they can't step foot in the Haven. So.

Here we are.

All I've ever paid for at the pier is corkage, and twice they just nodded me through. Lucky times.

My kids used to love the little pool in the Jewel class Havens, don't think they will care much now that they are a bit older. The water slides and ropes will be beckoning!

I have searched literally- and I HATE that word-243 threads and found one that was from when Breakaway screwed up and had promised that the s7s had wraparound balconies! Found SissasmomE and davidsobe there! breakaway hadn't even floated out yet! It then led me to a family with 4 ADults who had to get a letter promising suite benefits to the adjoining cabin as they had been told the s7 held 4 .

Any suggestions on which department to call next? Obviously I have three strikes in the PCC department, and the ubiquitous supervisor was useless.

If they weren't so narrow I would just get an h4 but I don't think they are worth it with the teeny balcony and odd placement of the wall in the living area

Hmmmm

Thanks for chiming in!

Betty

Edited by Bettytrouble

I disagree calling parents who paid for a Haven suite and don't cram their kids in the living room and book a side cabin "non paying suite guests."

The parents are paying more money than the 2 bedroom suite guests who have 6 people crammed in the suite.

• Thanks 1

I disagree calling parents who paid for a Haven suite and don't cram their kids in the living room and book a side cabin "non paying suite guests."

The parents are paying more money than the 2 bedroom suite guests who have 6 people crammed in the suite.

Oh,I agree with that. Logic is not always that easy! LOL!

The nasty arguments get into those that paid for suite and those that did not. And it makes some sense, but then this issue comes up. (just buying and paying for EXTRA room)

I really do not think we should open up that argument and instead try to help out the OP here.

I hope NCL sees it this way- because the benefits of a suite are hardly benefits if only 3/5 of the family enjoy them. We will certainly reconsider the entire trip because I am not spending this kind of money to be segregated . I don' t want to lose the location so I put the deposits down.

Ugh!

I hope NCL sees it this way- because the benefits of a suite are hardly benefits if only 3/5 of the family enjoy them. We will certainly reconsider the entire trip because I am not spending this kind of money to be segregated . I don' t want to lose the location so I put the deposits down.

Ugh!

Well said! We are in the same situation on the Getaway in January. We have booked an aft H6 with the connecting balcony. We are a family of 5 (myself, husband and three adult children) and we are paying more this way than we would have if we had gotten 2 Haven penthouses or a 2-br suite. We have stayed in both and neither option is in any way, shape or form adequate for 5 adults (much less 2 adults and three teens or tweens). The balconies are simply too small.

I appreciate you daring to ask about this issue again and I love the way you covered every possible scenario in your original post that would have invariably been brought up again. I think you managed to ask the question in such a way that will (fingers crossed) keep a lot of the angst away.

Before the other thread was pulled down there were 2 posters that did say their children do not get excluded at all. I had suggested emailing (preferably as you would have a record of the answer, norwegianconciergedesk@ncl.com) or calling the concierge (855-625-4283) and give them your name, reservation #'s, date, ship and ask for clarification. I called on Thursday about the same scenario but have not heard back as of yet. If I do not hear anything by tomorrow I will follow up then (as I still have to put in my pre-concierge requests for my September cruise). I think it would be very strange to have minor children excluded from dinners with their parents.

Edit- I just went to Nalagh's review of cabin 9916 (you can search nalagh, pictorial, 9916) she had the adjoining cabin 9914 and in her review (post #4) she states "Haven privileges were had by all".

Edited by iimmie

I see this line of thinking a lot, and to NCL this doesn't matter a bit. If you were crammed into one suite, they would have the other room to sell to someone else. You aren't providing NCL any additional revenue, but asking for additional perks.

I see this line of thinking a lot, and to NCL this doesn't matter a bit. If you were crammed into one suite, they would have the other room to sell to someone else. You aren't providing NCL any additional revenue, but asking for additional perks.

No, Kate, is was NCL who tolsd me that I could pay the full fare for both in the connecting balcony and then the additional 699 per child as though they were the 4th and 5th passenger in the 3 passenger s7. , thus receiving payment twice and losing nothing. My kids will still be spending plenty, your point is moot.

Also, this is not the purpose of this thread-

PLEASE, KateQ- I really don't want it to disappear again!

Perhaps access to the Haven needs limitation. Even on the Breakaway the Haven area is not overly large, and the restaurant has a limited number of seats. If each suite that was designed for 3 people added a fourth and fifth person the Haven might be too overloaded. Anyway, NCL has the right to determine who gets access and who doesn't. One person's fair seems unfair to another. I do hope you find a solution and have a great cruise!

Edited by choirleader

Actually, KateQ22003, you've described it very well, EXCEPT that in our case what we wanted to do (and I think the OP here the same!) was to PAY FOR "ALL OF THE ABOVE" that you have described.

That is, instead of NCL selling the other room "to someone else", they'd get the SAME MONEY, but from us - because we'd *pay* for everyone in the suite AND ALSO *pay again* for some (of the same passengers!) in the second cabin.

In our case, we wanted to do this because there is NO combo (2BR suite OR connecting suite/cabin or suite/suite) that would give us the space of the DOS that we want.

(All we wanted was the extra, smaller cabin for privacy sleeping, and we were willing to pay for all of it, the SAME as if some other passengers were paying for the second cabin. Except... NCL would not have extra mouths to feed - but they'd collect the same revenue anyway.)

But we weren't allowed to PAY for the same passengers to be booked as "extras" in one Suite AND also PAY to have them booked into a different cabin.

Hope that is clear?

And I think OP wanted to do something similar.

NCL would get the SAME $$ as if additional *extra* passengers were aboard (but they wouldn't be).

GeezerCouple

No, Kate, is was NCL who tolsd me that I could pay the full fare for both in the connecting balcony and then the additional 699 per child as though they were the 4th and 5th passenger in the 3 passenger s7. , thus receiving payment twice and losing nothing. My kids will still be spending plenty, your point is moot.

I do understand what you are saying. If you just booked them in your cabin for the $699 each, NCL could still book the 2nd cabin for the same amount that you have paid. Plus, they wouldn't have to give that 2nd cabin any perks. Not that perks cost NCL much, but a regular balcony cabin gets none. Personally, I think that NCL should offer some kind of "companion perks" package for situations like this. To do this though, I think they would need to build bigger haven areas.