Nice Lady Saved Seats For Us On Oasis!

Well then, that entire family can pick a meeting place outside the theater and all walk in together. One person trying to save an entire row of seats is unacceptable and I have no sympathy for her.

Just going to post a similar thought - you beat me to it!

The whole family/friends group can get there ahead of time, or meet at a designated spot!

Just went through similar situations on the Oasis in the theater and ice rink - some people think they can save numerous seats, not just one for someone at a bathroom break.

Why the joy in taking the seat of individuals trying to sit together? I understand the policy, but please recognize these seat-savers just want to experience the event with their family and friends. It is a vacation after all; time to spend with those you love. The logistics of getting everyone in the party to the theater at the exact same moment don't always work out when family members are coming from all parts of the ship. Get there earlier if you need a specific seat. There are plenty of seats in the theater 15 minutes before show time. Take a saved seat if you want as you are entitled to by policy, but is it necessary to celebrate it?

That entire family also has the option of getting there 15-30 minutes early to get the seats they want. If you are going to run in at the last minute, you should plan on sitting in less than optimal seats, and not together.

I have arrived in the theater 30+ minutes before showtime to get the seats my daughter wanted (she cares, I don't). I don't send her in early to save me a seat.

Why the joy in taking the seat of individuals trying to sit together? I understand the policy, but please recognize these seat-savers just want to experience the event with their family and friends. It is a vacation after all; time to spend with those you love. The logistics of getting everyone in the party to the theater at the exact same moment don't always work out when family members are coming from all parts of the ship. Get there earlier if you need a specific seat. There are plenty of seats in the theater 15 minutes before show time. Take a saved seat if you want as you are entitled to by policy, but is it necessary to celebrate it?

Seats are on a first-come, first served basis. If they can't all get there at the same time, then they can find seats together when they DO get there. If you want a GOOD seat somewhere, get there early and plant your butt in it.

Consider this: The nice lady saving the seats may not have known that seat saving is against the rules. Etiquette? Well, that's another question.

Either way, I agree with the OP, but I'm suggesting that not everyone who saves a bunch of seats is thumbing their noses at the rules. So, rather than being a donkey about claiming those empty seats, a little tact usually wins the day.

At least, that's how I would have handled it. In life, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I find my life is a lot more stress free than it otherwise would be. I just don't have that drill-sergeant approach to life's little problems. YMMV :D

If a large group wants to sit together, they can all arrange to arrive early and set a meeting place outside the event venue. To have one or two people saving an entire row of prime seats isn't fair to everyone else who arrives early hoping to sit in those same prime seats.

The celebration you're reading has nothing to do with people not wanting families to bond and have a lovely vacation together. It's a reaction to the over-abundance of entitled behavior on ships (and on land) these days.:rolleyes:

Good for you!

While you are completely correct, I can live with someone saving the next next to them for a short period of time, but this rule was clearly designated for just such this occurrence.

Edited by BillOh

This thread reminds me of a Seinfeld episode. Can't remember the whole plot but the bottom line was Jerry [i think] hated to be the one tasked with saving seats and was just as likely to cave and give them away as save them. That would be me. One reason I like cruising -- seat saving is not allowed so I am off the hook.

Let's say there are 10 people and they are seated across a row. How is number one, who is seated nine people away, really experiencing the event with number 10?:D

Last week on Oasis when we arrived at Studio B for the Frozen in Time show it was crowded as usual. Our daughter spotted some empty seats, and led us to them. They were prime seats!! Nearly a full row was empty.

A lady quickly tried to block us from heading down the row telling us "those seats are saved". I informed her that saving seats was not allowed, and proceeded past her. She yelled, "Says who?". I replied, "Royal Caribbean". Shortly after that an announcement was made about how seat saving was not allowed.

So I just want to thank that lady for "saving" great seats for my family, and several others who followed us down that row.

That happens a LOT at the ice shows. We were on the June 19th Bermuda and Caribbean crusie on the Explorer and a woman in the second row on the right hand side was saving many seats in that row and some in the row above her.

I am happy you were able to get the seats! We did not want to confront the watchdog saving seats because when I asked if the seats were taken, she lashed out in her very New York / Long Island accent that they were reserved. So we looked for other seats.

If a large group wants to sit together, they can all arrange to arrive early and set a meeting place outside the event venue. To have one or two people saving an entire row of prime seats isn't fair to everyone else who arrives early hoping to sit in those same prime seats.

The celebration you're reading has nothing to do with people not wanting families to bond and have a lovely vacation together. It's a reaction to the over-abundance of entitled behavior on ships (and on land) these days.:rolleyes:

Cindy can you save us two seats for CATS? :eek:

Hmmmm......sounds like a past "seat saver" to me.......:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why the joy in taking the seat of individuals trying to sit together? I understand the policy, but please recognize these seat-savers just want to experience the event with their family and friends. It is a vacation after all; time to spend with those you love. The logistics of getting everyone in the party to the theater at the exact same moment don't always work out when family members are coming from all parts of the ship. Get there earlier if you need a specific seat.There are plenty of seats in the theater 15 minutes before show time. Take a saved seat if you want as you are entitled to by policy, but is it necessary to celebrate it?

Look carefully at the part of your own post which I highlighted. That's exactly what the party the row of seats were being saved for should have done!

Perfectly stated, Cindy!

Funny! I agree I've saved one or two seats for members of my family b/c they got lost/turned around on the ship or simply late, I don't see anything wrong w/ that.

One or two seats is different, and people understand. But a row or two??

Shouldn't the same rule of "get there early" be applied to those people the seats are being saved for??

Let's say there are 10 people and they are seated across a row. How is number one, who is seated nine people away, really experiencing the event with number 10?:D

Really.

I understand a parent wanting to be seated with small children , or a family member with medical issues.

But during a show you should be looking at the what's going on on stage.

I agree with this. Can't they be together in another area of the ship. You are supposed to be watching the show, not socializing during the show. There is enough time to be together without worrying about being together during a show. :rolleyes: Let the whole family or group get there early and take their seats together, if that is what they need to do.

I'm fine with saving a seat if your are with someone that has to take a bathroom break. Nothing wrong with that.

There are restaurants (off the ship) that will not allow you to be seated until the whole party is there, whether you have a reservation or not.

Gwen :)

I have a hard time standing and getting up the stairs. I saw a spot against the wall up the stairs there and decided to get up there and stand against the wall. I am not a front row person, actually I prefer the back seats. I don't save seats. I just wanted to be able to be up the stairs and have something to lean against while waiting. Some woman started yelling at me and saying I was trying to cut in line. I told her what I was doing and to please think about what someone may also be going through.

Really.

I understand a parent wanting to be seated with small children , or a family member with medical issues.

But during a show you should be looking at the what's going on on stage.

But, if a family are sharing popcorn or sweets, its much easier to pass it across a row than all over the theatre! :D

I save my wifes seat while she went to the bathroom before and someone tried to sit there and I was like no way. I cant imagine saving a whole row. Still some people do that

The main place I see that is the theater, especially on Love and Marriage night.

Why the joy in taking the seat of individuals trying to sit together?

23 messages in 100% agreement, not to mention the rules. Sometimes the majority is right. Now if someone did try to reserve an entire row and it was off to the side in the back it might go better, but its always the front center and 2 minutes before the show is ready to start the chairs are still empty.

I think part of the reason that seat saving is a problem is because sometimes the people for whom seat are saved do not show up. I remember one time on Princess when I sat in the row behind what appeared to be an almost empty row. But when anyone tried to enter this row anchored on each side with a couple, the men stood up and blocked people saying the seats were saved. Many people tried to use those seats, but the men would not budge. When the show started the seats were still empty, and some people were standing in the back, and some left the theater because they did not want to stand.

Finally the men gave up and these seats so they got used, but it caused a disruption because the show was already in process. When the show ended I sat for awhile, I had brought a book with me because I like to read and wait for the crowds to get out of the elevator. The two couples stayed also and were talking about the rude people who tried to take the seats they saved. Their friends had never showed up before the show, but now the 8 friends came up to them and said, "where were you? We saved you seats."

So not only did these friends not get to sit together, because it is difficult to find people in the theater, but they prevented others from seeing the show.

Consider this: The nice lady saving the seats may not have known that seat saving is against the rules. Etiquette? Well, that's another question.

Either way, I agree with the OP, but I'm suggesting that not everyone who saves a bunch of seats is thumbing their noses at the rules. So, rather than being a donkey about claiming those empty seats, a little tact usually wins the day.

At least, that's how I would have handled it. In life, I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. I find my life is a lot more stress free than it otherwise would be. I just don't have that drill-sergeant approach to life's little problems. YMMV :D

Well, now she knows.