Flying into San Juan day of Cruise

Does anyone have any experience flying into San Juan on the day of a cruise? Next April I am going on the Adventure of the Seas, but something has come up forcing me to now fly in the day of the cruise. The flight I am looking at gets into San Juan at 1:30 (if everything goes smoothly). I am a bit worried because I have always fly in the day before.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Everyone has their reasons that flying the same day is the only way. We've done it, sometimes the cruise was so cheap it was an easy chance. Others, the flight was the FIRST flight out, so the odds of a problem were super light. etc etc etc...

Anyway, two things that have not been mentioned- if you want to have a little "insurance"- get your flight from Choice Air AND use RCI to provide travel to the ship. Both may make the trip more expensive, but both will give you a lot of leeway if the trip is delayed. Choice Air more, as posted, they will wait.

my only "story" about flying the same day. We were going from Detoit to San Juan- which we do reasonably often. At that time, it was either direct (rare) or flying to Newark, and then down. For some reason, it booked us to Cleveland and then down. Flight problems means that the original flight to Cleveland was canceled, and the re-book had us land at 10pm. oops. We talked to the member number, and they booked us on the flights we originally wanted. Nerve wraking, for sure. But we did make it.

Good luck! And do your best to keep calm when the time comes. At some point, there's really nothing more you can do.

What assumption are you making.....about the luxury in our life, just because our address is S. Florida. We are not retired, both DH and I work. We have to stretch out our vacation days, just like other people do.

We don't have unlimited time off from work nor are we independently wealthy, to be able to take days off without being paid.

And yes for you, you have to make different choices than I have to make....but it is about CHOICES.

I can't cruise in March or April, which would be nicer for me, but other family obligations occur then. In the summer, we have to be concerned with the challenges hurricanes can bring...NO ONE has it easy....when it comes to their choices.

No assumptions on my part! You are the one assuming. My reference to your post was the luxury of living in South Florida not being retired or not.

I did it a few years ago on one of my first cruises. Would never do it again. The airline employees were threatening a strike (well after, of course, the cruiseline booked my flights). We arrived at the airport the night before. They were sure they were going to strike so they booked us on another airline (Detroit to Houston to San Juan which would have been an adventure in itself) for the following morning in case our flight did not go. Fortunately, the strike was averted and we arrived as planned but we had days of uncertainty and concern. Never again. This winter we are arriving in Florida on Friday for a Monday cruise.

Talk about luxury...if we lived in Florida I would do the same as you. Living in Utah (we always Cruise March/April time frame) we would never fly out the day of our Cruise. Not even to San Juan. Way too risky and stressful. Vacation time and hotels are all figured in as part of the cost of the Cruise.

Tell me about it. Living in Florida opens up all sort of options. I don't recall the OP's location, I think it wasn't listed. Perhaps it's Florida as well, and if so, that does figure into the equation.

What assumption are you making.....about the luxury in our life, just because our address is S. Florida. We are not retired, both DH and I work. We have to stretch out our vacation days, just like other people do.

We don't have unlimited time off from work nor are we independently wealthy, to be able to take days off without being paid.

And yes for you, you have to make different choices than I have to make....but it is about CHOICES.

I can't cruise in March or April, which would be nicer for me, but other family obligations occur then. In the summer, we have to be concerned with the challenges hurricanes can bring...NO ONE has it easy....when it comes to their choices.

To most of us, the fact of living near a port of call is in and of itself a luxury, irrespective of any other part of your life. I suspect that is all the poster meant by that statement.

Does anyone have any experience flying into San Juan on the day of a cruise? Next April I am going on the Adventure of the Seas, but something has come up forcing me to now fly in the day of the cruise. The flight I am looking at gets into San Juan at 1:30 (if everything goes smoothly). I am a bit worried because I have always fly in the day before.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

We are in the camp that can't arrive a day early, there's no way I'm not in school the day before a school vacation begins. My other option is not to cruise. February, snow, Boston, someday we know we will be scrambling. Very early direct flights are a must. Last year we had storms the two days before we flew out. Those were the people who didn't make the ship because they couldn't rebook for a soon enough flight.

When we retire it will be to Florida! Good luck with your flight, we are on the Adventure next February, Mother Nature willing! (Actually we are getting in a day early for that but I don't assume that solves the problem. I do hope it gives me an extra day on a beach!)

We've taken some 8 cruises out of SJ and always flown on the same day. We usually travel in February and except for a minor hick-up, we've been quite lucky . Like to take the earliest flight possible to avoid delays as the day progresses. The pier is approximately 15 minutes from the airport and the fares are reasonable. We enjoy cruising out of SJ because when you land the temps are in the 80's.

To most of us, the fact of living near a port of call is in and of itself a luxury, irrespective of any other part of your life. I suspect that is all the poster meant by that statement.

Yes, it is nice not to have to include airfare in our cruises that leave from S. Florida. But many people have this off the wall belief that everyone in Florida is retired and has so much leisure time on their hands and feet.

One person was shocked to hear that I don't just do 'last minute cruises' to get the outrageous low prices on cabins, because they are still available the last few days/weeks before the cruise sails date.

Gee, it would never work out to walk into my boss on a Monday and say "Gee, I picked up an outstanding price for a cruise and won't be coming in on ........". I can imagine I would not have to worry about coming back to work.

Obviously living in Florida (or any other departure port city) is a tremendous advantage.

Any cruise for us always involves at least two connections - either through Detroit, Chicago or Minneapolis. San Juan is often a three-connection flight through Miami.

Used to getting up at 4:00 a.m. for a 6:00 a.m. flight even for a trip to Florida ...... where you live makes a huge difference, and then factor in equipment and weather!

We flew in to SJ day of in 2011, landed about 1pm with no issues. Day of was our only choice, as we were busy getting married the night before :D Sunday departure for that cruise. We're booked on the same flight next year.. it is direct and there's a second US Airways direct flight after ours.. my game plan is to cry my way onto that second flight if needed!!!

But in all seriousness, to answer your original question.. if you land at 1pm, you will have plenty of time to make it to the ship. Enjoy!!

I suspect you know you're pushing your luck by arriving the day of the cruise. I'd suggest that if you're the type who can handle that type of risk, you'll be fine. the odds are in your favor after all.

I know, we have a cruise leaving from SJ, and we're arriving two days early. I'd rather start a vacation stress free.

Enjoy your cruise.

Have a cruise next month leaving on Saturday. Flying into SJ on Wednesday. Taking advantage of a couple of days to explore the island.

I usually do a red-eye the night before (Leave after 10pm)

Usually arrive to my connecting point early morning, and have most of the morning to make the last flight, in case the original flight gets delayed.

This year, we fly out of LAX late the night before, arrive in San Juan at around noon.

We have taken two cruises out of San Juan, both times flown into Orlando a day or two before and then onto San Juan early on the morning of the cruise on a direct flight, airport is quite close to the port and it's nice when the ship leaves later (with us on it).

The only thing the OP didn't mention is where he is coming from. He/she did say the trip is in April. I wouldn't even attempt it from Chicago in January, or Boston from the same time, or on a holiday weekend, otherwise good luck.,

Yes, it is nice not to have to include airfare in our cruises that leave from S. Florida. But many people have this off the wall belief that everyone in Florida is retired and has so much leisure time on their hands and feet.

One person was shocked to hear that I don't just do 'last minute cruises' to get the outrageous low prices on cabins, because they are still available the last few days/weeks before the cruise sails date.

Gee, it would never work out to walk into my boss on a Monday and say "Gee, I picked up an outstanding price for a cruise and won't be coming in on ........". I can imagine I would not have to worry about coming back to work.

Understood. As a retiree, I have a similar frustration with so many currently employed people thinking I have all day to sit around and do whatever I want, and can afford the time and $$ to jump on vacation opportunities last minute. (which to be honest is how my thinking went when I was working:)) While I am retired, DH is still working and our adult son lives with us. So instead of splitting up all the household chores like we did when we both worked, guess who handles the vast majority of them all now. And no last minute vacations for us until we are both retired, and even then we are not without obligations and commitments of other types (not to mention a much more limited budget in retirement). Not complaining at all, just that my life is very different from what people envision it to be, and it gets pretty frustrating when I encounter so many of my well-meaning but way off base ex-co-workers who think my life is a living dream.

Understood. As a retiree, I have a similar frustration with so many currently employed people thinking I have all day to sit around and do whatever I want, and can afford the time and $$ to jump on vacation opportunities last minute. (which to be honest is how my thinking went when I was working:)) While I am retired, DH is still working and our adult son lives with us. So instead of splitting up all the household chores like we did when we both worked, guess who handles the vast majority of them all now. And no last minute vacations for us until we are both retired, and even then we are not without obligations and commitments of other types (not to mention a much more limited budget in retirement). Not complaining at all, just that my life is very different from what people envision it to be, and it gets pretty frustrating when I encounter so many of my well-meaning but way off base ex-co-workers who think my life is a living dream.

WHOA,,,,,,don't break their bubble....(LOL); everyone has a dream of what 'retirement' will be like, and hopefully the dream comes close to the reality. ENJOY many years of retirement!!!!

Keep in mind (at least in my family it would be valid) that before I went back to work, I did all the household chores... and perhaps your wife did as well.

We are in the camp that can't arrive a day early, there's no way I'm not in school the day before a school vacation begins. My other option is not to cruise. February, snow, Boston, someday we know we will be scrambling. Very early direct flights are a must. Last year we had storms the two days before we flew out. Those were the people who didn't make the ship because they couldn't rebook for a soon enough flight.

When we retire it will be to Florida! Good luck with your flight, we are on the Adventure next February, Mother Nature willing! (Actually we are getting in a day early for that but I don't assume that solves the problem. I do hope it gives me an extra day on a beach!)

Unless you get a cruise that leaves on Sunday, that's what we've done in the past. Our Jewel cruise next year is a Sunday. Fly down on Sat and a flight home directly off the cruise, no extra days off.