El Cheapo Cruises Thread

Japan 19 nights Diamond Princess 27 July 2018. Inside $1189 pp guarantee.

OK - I gave in, decided if I am going to die from the heat I might as well die happily in Japan. Booked it tonight for my sister and i and friends. Always need something to look forward to.

Come on Blue Elephant, if we can survive it you can too. Would be lovely to cruise with you again.

OK - I gave in, decided if I am going to die from the heat I might as well die happily in Japan. Booked it tonight for my sister and i and friends. Always need something to look forward to.

Come on Blue Elephant, if we can survive it you can too. Would be lovely to cruise with you again.

We really can’t at this time. Need to mind the animals. This Japan cruise would also finish too close to our Carnival Spirit cruise on 20th August. But would be nice to cruise with you again.

Love to see Japan in summer for the amazing country/people/festivals and -get away from Melbourne winter!! Can you give a hint where to find this offer?

Love to see Japan in summer for the amazing country/people/festivals and -get away from Melbourne winter!! Can you give a hint where to find this offer?

have a look on the princess site

i had a look and my price comes out at $1100 pp

Edited by rkmw

Tara Jane will be cruising on this too, can you recommend a place to stay in Tokyo? we booked the balcony at 90 per night great deal, there is a good chance you will be upgraded as its still only half full, unfortunately im very claustrophobic so couldn't take that chance

We are staying at Narita both night before and night after the cruise. Booked flights today. Sorry I can't recommend anywhere in Tokyo as I avoid Tokyo, never stay there..

A friend is there at the moment and she is staying at Ueno Touganeya Hotel $165 per night twin room.

qantas flies into narita from melbourne, just check which airport you are going to, its not close to the port but actually reasonably easy to do. We will get the train from Narita and its quite simple as long as getting a train with no transfers.1600 yen which is about 20 aussie dollars pp Hyperdia gives all the info. Basically its every hour and about 15 mins past the hour and takes a bit under 2 hours to yokohama. then a quick taxi to the port or train 200 yen to nihon-odori and a 10 minute walk straight down to the port . Have done it several times. We are a group of 4 so taxi will often be better for us on short trips.

Tara Jane will be cruising on this too, can you recommend a place to stay in Tokyo? we booked the balcony at 90 per night great deal, there is a good chance you will be upgraded as its still only half full, unfortunately im very claustrophobic so couldn't take that chance

Hi Sheridan - how did you find out that its only half full? i would love to know how to get that sort of information. Another couple of friends tried booking today and were told totally sold out.

qantas flies into narita from melbourne, just check which airport you are going to, its not close to the port but actually reasonably easy to do. We will get the train from Narita and its quite simple as long as getting a train with no transfers.1600 yen which is about 20 aussie dollars pp Hyperdia gives all the info. Basically its every hour and about 15 mins past the hour and takes a bit under 2 hours to yokohama. then a quick taxi to the port or train 200 yen to nihon-odori and a 10 minute walk straight down to the port . Have done it several times. We are a group of 4 so taxi will often be better for us on short trips.

Tara Jane,

I am reading with interest your knowledge of Japan and cruising in different seasons. We are have just booked a B2B cruise on Diamond in February. We won't obviously have the heat but apart from the cold any problems with cruising in this area in Winter? Appreciate any information. Thanks Cheryle

Hi Cheryle - I think a lot would depend on where your cruise goes. If it has a lot of port stops in the north it will be colder. I have been to Japan in mid March/April for cherry blossom season and it was lovely. Certainly better than hot summer. Have also been in Dec/Jan for new years, November, several times in July/august/september. Japan is wonderful any time of year, just be prepared with layers.

For a first timer to Japan I can't emphasis enough how valuable the goodwill guide volunteer service can be. Ive made reference to them a few times but will repost the link if you havent seen my post about it.

No trip to Japan is complete without going to Hiroshima and Kyoto/Nara. Tokyo I am happy to skip as I am not a city person but usually include it on my trips as I am generally taking first timer to Japan when I go.

Happy to answer any questions. Love Japan, love the people love the whole attitude and respect for people and property. It can be done very reasonably. I bank on $1000 au a week for Japan travel.

JR passes very worthwhile, we usually do a land trip in conjunction with cruise.