Warning for non-US RCCL travellers re end of cruise billing

The way to check if they are planning to convert your charges is ask for a print out of your cruise account half way through the cruise, if there are exchange rates printed on the bottom then that means they are planning to convert your charges even if you have requested otherwise.

I have had this problem numerous times but to their credit one call to customer relations when I returned home and they have always sent me a cheque for the difference however I suspect that now the UK office has moved to Guatemala it may not be so easy so best to try and sort it out on the ship if at all possible.

Sorry to hear this is still happening to non US credit card holders its one of my pet hates!

Thanks for the reminder! We also get a decent exchange on our credit card.

I can't remember how Celebrity did it in May...let alone how RCI did it in 2009! Something it pay attention to this time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Two ways to avoid double exchange - pay with old fashioned travellers cheques or get a US credit card. TD gives one with no fees linked to my account and CDN TD visa.

Thank you for posting this information. We have never had this problem but of course there is always a first time and its good to be forewarned:) I would not be too pleased to have to have a hassle at guest services after a lovely cruise .

I have never had an issue with RCI and always paid in USD with my UK Post Office credit card. It is always best to let your card issuer doing the conversion as they will give you the better rates compare to the merchants. So overall good advice to others and keep an eye out on your bills.

Celebrity and Princess both do it...even if you tick the box that says please do not.

We actually go down to the purser's desk and check. Like others, we have a credit card that charges the FX rate for conversion and does not add the standard 2.5 percent admin fee. We travel frequently-the admin fees can add up quickly if you have a card that imposes these fees.

Two ways to avoid double exchange - pay with old fashioned travellers cheques or get a US credit card. TD gives one with no fees linked to my account and CDN TD visa.

This may not fix the problem. We have a US credit card and request that our charges remain in US$. The last 2 cruises they've ignored that request, converted to CDN$ then charged that CDN$ amount to our US$ credit card who then converted it back to US$! What a bloody mess! So we had to deal with 2 sets of conversion charges:rolleyes:

We called and they sent us a check for the difference both times but it's such a hassle for us that is totally their fault. Frustrating, to say the lest.:mad:

The only 100% way (assuming you are not American) this will not happen is to choose CASH Account. The last day you can go to GS and take them your CC and they will bill your CC on the spot and it's in US as they do it at the GS desk.

This has always worked for us.

Edited by robandana

Good advise, welcome to Cruise Critic. Now tell us about what you enjoyed on your cruise.

Mmmmmm. . . . . Not very nice :-(

What was not very nice? Saying "Good advise" or saying

"welcome to Cruise Critic" Or did you not like me asking the part to tell us about what the OP enjoyed on the cruise

The posters advice was good- and there is no requirement here you follow any tip or critique with "something you enjoyed".

I my defense any of you that have been around this board a while and see the word "warning" and it is Post #1 know it usually is someone whining about the some problem they had that ruined their cruise. Many times they just want to vent and we never hear from then again. Later the OP says that was not the first post as was a member before but can't find any of the logon details and so had to re-join. I did say "Good advise" and as a new member tried to welcome the OP and encourage the OP to post some positive points.

I don't feel I should be flamed for this.

Edited by FLACRUISER99

That's ok guys - I am cool with it all - no offence taken. Certainly would not have whinged about my last cruise in 2011 though...that's when I was a member last...one computer crash later and haven't got a clue who I was back then!:)

Unfortunately this is a common problem that has been going on for years for those of us who do not have a USD Credit Card. I now open my account with a GBP Credit Card but use USD Travellers Cheques to pay off my account and so the very small amount left from the last evening is minor when they convert at their awful rate.

We are from the Uk and we specified both this time and for our last cruise in 2011 that we wanted to pay in US dollars and for our credit card issuer to convert it to £ (because our credit card issuer Post Office doesn't charge for this and gives us a good rate) Both times our request was ignored and the cabin charge printout read that we had stated that we wanted RCL to convert. We managed to get them to change this last time and saved ourselves about £50. This time, although we spotted in time that they weren't going to follow our instructions and spending a long time trying to get them to change it the night before our cruise ended, they STILL billed us in £ after converting it themselves using a much disadvantageous ( to us) rate. You sign how you want to pay on your set sail pass that you hand in on embarkation and also what you input on line when you fill the details in. We have proof by way of photocopy that what we gave to RCL both online and at the port when we checked in that this was not what we wanted. RCL makes a profit (cost us about £30 more this year by way of the poor conversion rate) by doing things this way and we believe that this is very wrong that this is happening so regularly. They are making a lot of money from doing things this way. Watch out for this.

Never had that problem with any RCCL line; could you share which ship it was please?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forums mobile app

We are Canadians, with a USD credit card and have encountered this issue several times. Our fix is to visit guest services and pay the balance on the card the night before. Yes, I know the balance is paid automatically but this way if there is a few dollars left on the balance and they forget and "convert" it to CDN for us, it is only pennies difference on not the $50 dollars we otherwise might have to pay and argue about later.

Miami has always been very good about crediting the extra fees, but it is a nuisance to have to argue with them and provide copies of credit card statements!!!!!

My funny story though is, I waited to I dispute a charge for a spa treatment (not me) of $140.00 until I got home. The fellow on the phone agreed to reverse it, and I waited a couple of days for the credit to appear. Imagine my surprise when only $120 dollar credit appeared. I phoned again, and was told by the clerk that because I had booked in Cdn currency, the credit would be in Canadian as all charges on my seapass card were in Canadian. He argued for a moment and then I asked him to go ask his supervisor.

I use an Amex card as the currency option is only available for Visa or MasterCard . Therefore the issue is avoided from the beginning . You'll notice in the small print under the choices on the set sail pass it's only valid for these two card issuers .

Just off of Oasis and stitched up again by RCCL as per the OP. Almost every cruise is the same. How difficult can it be for them to bill us in US $ as per the setsail pass.

Whilst they can run great cruise ships, they are a hopeless company to deal with.

I use an Amex card as the currency option is only available for Visa or MasterCard . Therefore the issue is avoided from the beginning . You'll notice in the small print under the choices on the set sail pass it's only valid for these two card issuers .

I was about to post that as well. I have never had a problem.

I was about to post that as well. I have never had a problem.

You won't be getting the best exchange rate using an Amex card. Certain UK credit cards e.g Halifax Clarity will give you the actual bank rate with no hidden transaction fee hence the reason for using them and wanting RCCL to bill us in US$

You won't be getting the best exchange rate using an Amex card. Certain UK credit cards e.g Halifax Clarity will give you the actual bank rate with no hidden transaction fee hence the reason for using them and wanting RCCL to bill us in US$

I beg to differ . I find my Lloyds Amex very competitive . Even with the admin charge the cumulative rate is equivalent to tourist rates from the likes of no1 currency and the money shop.

Plus the double Avios comes in handy for an upgrade to Club World or a free night in a Hotel pre or post cruise . Either way we always end up paying

Edited by Borgcruiser
addition