All Things Vantage

FuelScience

I really feel that Vantage jerked us around with the changes they made on our trip. Frankly, their Stateside customer service stinks, they were poor in responding to questions about the changes made to the trip and totally unwilling to negotiate or even discuss alternative. The phone rep default was either "check the itinerary in your portfolio," or "no."

Hopefully, the shipboard staff will, as many here experienced, come through and we will have a great experience. In all honesty, I will be measuring them against GCT and that sets the service and daily tour bar high.

Hi,

My wife and I have signed up for the Best of Burgundy, Beaujolais & Provence river cruise at the end of October. This is ourfirst Vantage cruise, after having taken several river cruises with Grand Circle (Rhine and Moselle, Great Rivers, Paris to Normandy and Russia).

We are wondering what to expect on a Vantage cruise that is different from what we experienced on Grand Circle, and are hoping that some of you who have taken voyages on each can share some differences. These might have to do with the ship itself, food, activities on board, service on board, amenities on board, entertainment on board, walking and other included tours, etc. Anything to help us set our expectations.

Some specific questions we have include:

Do we have a dedicated small group Program Manager for the entire trip as GCT does for groups of about 35 - 40?

Does the Program Manager go out of his/her way to be helpful as we experienced on GCT?

Are the tours and guides as knowledgeable, friendly and helpful as on GCT?

How do the tour and headsets used compare?

Does Vantage provide maps of all the towns/cities we visit?

Are the “informational” sessions about each port useful, or are they simply commercials for shopping, as is the case on ocean liners?

We may have more questions, but these suffice for now. Thanks in advance for any responses.

Car-Stan

PS: If you are on this cruise, we would love to hear from you!

Hi Stan,

I have traveled with both companies. GC still puts you in groups with a PD and Vantage has one PD with several "helpers". Some of the helpers are only there for a day or a couple days. We did have some problems with the tipping because we normally tip at the end, which we did for our main PD but also had to tip for the extra helpers that stayed with us for our tours. Our bus drivers also were to be tipped. GC includes all tips for the local guides and bus drivers.

The rest of your questions were about equal for GC and Vantage.

I think that Vantage puts you in much better hotels than GC does. Although the hotels on our last trip were beautiful, That was a small ship cruise and not a river cruise, though.

I really don't feel that there is much difference in the two companies and I would travel with either one again.

Have a wonderful trip.

Sharon

Hi, Sharon!

It is such a great surprise to hear from you!! Looking at your lists of completed trips and those coming up, I am assuming you have been well and very much enjoying life!

I can't recall if we last connected before our GCT trip to Russia or the one from Paris to Normandy. Since those we have done a few Caribbean cruises and a fantastic land tour to China, which we did April of 2015.

Things are sort of the same with us...our grandkids are getting older (one already a high school sophomore and the youngest recently turned 10). My almost full-time retirement got de-railed by a really challenging consulting project. And we are just beginning to think about how to celebrate our 50th next year.

Let me know how you are doing. Thanks for writing!

Stan

Car-Stan

It's a short layover in Madrid. You guys speak enough Spanish to help us find the right gate to Lyon? :p

CPT Trips,

I am sorry you have been jerked around by the people you spoke with at Vantage. So far, we have been very satisfied with the support we have gotten - but we have not run into any issues as you have.

Re. transferring in Madrid, the flight info I received says we arrive in Madrid in Terminal 4S and must got to Terminal 4 for our flight to Lyon. We have (theoretically) 1 hour and 40 minutes for this.

Unfortunately, the info I found on some web site only describes (very roughly) how to go from T4 to T4S - not how we must go.

Anyone have any guidance on this?

If we are on the same flight, we should plan to meet before we board in Philly. Any ideas on where/when we might do that? We are not very familiar with this airport.

We already have reserved our sets for each leg to and from Europe. Have you?

I will look into the book you suggested!

Stan

How did you get seats on all the legs? We only have seats on the PHL-MAD leg. On the web site, BA wants to charge for seats on LHR-PHL . . . And I have not been able to choose seats on the other legs. At least one of those other two flights are 2-2 seating, so no worries about middle seat. I think the BA equipment is 3-3-3, so a middle seat is pretty much a given.

We will probably just wait in the gate area, they have reasonable room and are not uncomfortable. We should be fairly easy to spot. A short white woman with glasses and longer brown hair worn in a twist, a 6'1" heavy white guy with a fraying beard and brown hair, and a black guy with no hair about my height. We will probably have GCT and CIE travel swag.

How did you get seats on all the legs? We only have seats on the PHL-MAD leg. On the web site, BA wants to charge for seats on LHR-PHL . . . And I have not been able to choose seats on the other legs. At least one of those other two flights are 2-2 seating, so no worries about middle seat. I think the BA equipment is 3-3-3, so a middle seat is pretty much a given.

We will probably just wait in the gate area, they have reasonable room and are not uncomfortable. We should be fairly easy to spot. A short white woman with glasses and longer brown hair worn in a twist, a 6'1" heavy white guy with a fraying beard and brown hair, and a black guy with no hair about my height. We will probably have GCT and CIE travel swag.

Hi,

We decided to reserve the BA seats now so we get an aisle seat for the Heathrow to Philly leg so we are not stuck with real losers, and then decided to get them all. I am a AA gold, so Imay have gotten a few $$ off, but we still paid about $125 for all seat assignments for us both. I also called Iberia Air and got the seat assignment there for the Madrid-Lyon leg. Don't like spending the $$, but decided to get it out of the way.

We will look forward to meeting you all. I am about 5'10" with brown/graying hair. My wife is 5'1" with short white hair. Not sure what we will be carrying yet, but I think we should meet up without too much trouble.

Stan

We will be flying from U.S. thru Amsterdam to Marseilles.

Does anyone know if we have to go thru customs in Amsterdam?

We have a very tight connection and I am a little nervous about it.

You have to do Schengen zone immigration at AMS. Assuming you bags are checked through to Marseille you will have Red Line / Green Line customs there.

...Assuming you bags are checked through to Marseille you will have Red Line / Green Line customs there.
And Red Line/Green Line customs are....?

We have 55 minutes between our flights.

Customs will be in Marseille, NOT Amsterdam. In Marseille if you have something to declare (as a tourist not likely) you go to the Red Line to Declare; otherwise walk through the Green Line - they have the right to stop and question you, but probably won't.

Not pleased with our flights at all. Did you get yours through Vantage?

Our agent there assured me 55 minutes would be enough time to switch planes in Amsterdam. I just called Delta....and they said NO, unless you are extremely lucky.

I wonder if they will charge me (and how much) to switch flights.

Our agent there assured me 55 minutes would be enough time to switch planes in Amsterdam. I just called Delta....and they said NO, unless you are extremely lucky.

AMS is a lot easier connection than LHR, CDG or FRA, but 55 minutes while doable certainly doesn't leave a lot of margin. If it was me, I'd go on some multi-airlinre site like Otbitz and see what options exist from your home airport to your final destination. Then you'll be armed with some info if you call Vantage (and have some idea what options you'd have if you misconnect).

Here is a link on connecting in AMS:

https://www.klm.com/travel/us_en/prepare_for_travel/at_the_airport/connections/index.htm

Thanks for the link.

I did look up some info on Matrix.

If I miss the flight, the next one is 8:30 PM....8 hours later!

Not sure if they will let me cancel without major charge. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when they call me back....hopefully.

Hi,

I did get our flights thru Vantage. Right after I booked the cruise, I called the airline group and told them I needed at least 2 hours between flights. I ended up with 1 hour 40 minutes in Madrid going, and 5+ hours in Heathrow on the return. I am not regretting the long time in Heathrow, as it can take at least 2 - 3 hours to make the connection.

I began to ask for so much time a few years ago, when we were returning from Germany. Had 2 different security screenings in Frankfurt and spent almost 2 hours in lines in Dulles, barely making our flight to Philly. I am not the most patient person, but would rather be antsy AT the gate than worried about making it TO the gate on time.

The advice about having some info before you call them is good. Since you have only a few weeks before you fly, your options fpr negotiating with Vantage may be limited. I wish you good luck. Please let us know how you do, as others may (will) be in the same position at some future time.

Stan

Well, not sure what to do. We can change for $300 each.

I'm waiting for a call from management to see if they will cover part of it.

Is $300 worth the peace of mind.......considering we got such a bargain on the trip.

We paid $1999.00 each for trip, which included the air.

Snonomo

I would call the airline and find out what is a "legal connection" time wise in AMS before talking to Vantage.

ETA: if your connection is legal, the airline has to take care of you. If not, use it as leverage with Vantage.

Stan

We think alike . . .

The issue, along with the ridiculous lines, in LHR is determining which gate going out, sometimes they don't post it until last minute.

Edited by CPT Trips

Snonomo

I would call the airline and find out what is a "legal connection" time wise in AMS before talking to Vantage.

ETA: if your connection is legal, the airline has to take care of you. If not, use it as leverage with Vantage.

Stan

We think alike . . .

The issue, along with the ridiculous lines, in LHR is determining which gate going out, sometimes they don't post it until last minute.

From the Link I gave above (692):

The standard transfer time at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to a flight within Europe is 40 minutes and 50 minutes for an intercontinental flight.

If you are travelling to/from Schengen and non-Schengen countries, you should count on having to go through additional security checks and customs inspections. These can substantially extend the time it takes to complete your transfer procedure.

If you do not make your next flight because of a lack of time, you will automatically be booked on another flight. Your baggage will be relabelled and you will not have to retrieve it or check in for the new flight. Your new flight details can be retrieved and you can print out your new boarding pass on a self-service machine.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been at LHR when there were two separate permanent signs on the Departures Board:

1) "Flight gates will be posted 15 minutes before Departure"

2) "It may take 20 minutes to get to your gate from here"

Gee thanks fellows:mad:

Capt. T

I had checked the minimum connection time for AMS. But the Delta rep told me we would have to have everything go perfectly for us to make the connection in the 55 minute time frame we had. I'm thinking the Minimum connection time is a legaleze CYA for the airlines so they don't have to pay.

So my rationale with Vantage would be their rep should have looked at the "spirit of the law rather than the letter of the law", so to speak.

Also, the airline taking care of me doesn't help much if the ONLY flights out of AMS to MRS are at 8:30 PM. We would not get to the ship before midnight.

Snonomo

Are you scheduled into AMS on Delta metal, or is it a code share on say KLM or AF? EU261/2004 covers EU airlines both into and out of the EU, but non-EU airlines (eg DL) are covered only leaving The EU. We were recently paid 2*600 euros ($1360) plus expenses for a missed connection on Lufthansa. Arriving at the ship at midnight is not the best way to start a trip, but 600 euros pp in your pocket is a lot better than nothing.

When are you going? The US reverts to standard time on 6 Nov. Europe reverts to standard time on 30 Oct. Pretty stupid IMO, but the time people didn' t ask me. DL schedules are based on Atlanta time; AF schedules on Paris time; from 30 Oct to 6 Nov schedules are out of sync.

Thom

We are going on Oct. 20.....the trip right before yours.

It is Delta planes all the way.

I thought we delayed changing the clocks until after Halloween.....so not as dark for the little ones Trick or Treating. But that might just be a fanciful thought on my part.