All Things Vantage

FuelScience

Thanks to all of you for the clarification. I'm relieved that I won't have to add one more cost to this trip just for fancy or even regular coffee! DH loves a cappuccino (or two, etc.) after dinner. (Of course, I'm quite willing to pay more to upgrade to a wine package!)

As it stands now, we may not even take this trip (or any with Vantage). Vantage just changed our cruise from a "Culinary French Waterways: Best of Burgundy, Beaujolais & Provence" special cruise to just a regular river cruise (deleting all the extras from the itinerary). This comes after almost one year of major changes (such as sailing date) and minor changes by Vantage- most made with no or little explanation. So frustrating! I'm about to cancel completely and book the same river with GCT. We were really looking forward to trying Vantage.

Jersey Gem....don't blame you for your frustrations...that certainly seems to be a bit of "bait and switch"...any explanation about the change?

I was speaking to a Vantage agent yesterday and was told that in the future to expect many more restrictions on our ability to use our "CREDITS" from past trips. I know they are not earned nor can they be used on any "last minute deals" but she indicated that they would not necessarily be combinable with special offers like free or 2for 1 airfare! That really disappoints me and I am wondering if anyone has experienced this yet or if in practice it is still possible to use both cruise credit and special deals? this certainly won't encourage my loyalty!!!

Edited by deec

The coffee package was not offered by Vantage, it was offered by Hurtigruten. On that trip only, coffee was free with dinner but all other times you paid for it. The Norwegian trip offered by Vantage on a Hurtigruten ship is not private to Vantage. There are many other passengers on the ship not related to Vantage. On Vantage river cruises we've taken, coffee and tea were nearly always available and free - also hot chocolate and cookies and crackers - no package involved - included in your cruise price .

Coffee was free for dinner! What about breakfast? That is when I want coffee.

Jersey Gem....don't blame you for your frustrations...that certainly seems to be a bit of "bait and switch"...any explanation about the change?

"

I was speaking to a Vantage agent yesterday and was told that in the future to expect many more restrictions on our ability to use our "CREDITS" from past trips. I know they are not earned nor can they be used on any "last minute deals" but she indicated that they would not necessarily be combinable with special offers like free or 2for 1 airfare! That really disappoints me and I am wondering if anyone has experienced this yet or if in practice it is still possible to use both cruise credit and special deals? this certainly won't encourage my loyalty!!!

I have found in my 8 Vantage trips that I have to: 1. remind them of my past trip credits and since I usually took one Vantage trip a year, they would try to "fudge" on the amount of credits they gave me. Once I became "President's Club" (after 3 cruises) I would TELL them "I'm booking a $12,000 trip....GIVE me my $900 credit" and they always backed down. I wouldn't wait 2 years, but if you're booking within a few months, I think they'll give it to you. As for specials, the 2 for 1 concept is rather new to Vantage and I've never used it, so I don't know, but I would certainly ask for my credits to be applied...and if they refuse I would let them know how displeased you are.

Thanks! Did the wine and food correspondent to the area you were in? We're the food and wine good?

They did try to incorporate local dishes as much as possible. I always thought the food and wine were excellent, but I should qualify that by admitting that I put ice cubes in red wine, so I guess I'm not what you would call a wine connoisseur! :D

On the French waterways tour did they dock right in town?

Didn't do France with Vantage, so someone else will answer this question for you.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Coffee was free for dinner! What about breakfast? That is when I want coffee.
It has been 5 years since I did the Vantage Hurtigruten Norway coast cruise, but I'm pretty sure that coffee and tea were available at no cost with all meals in the dining room. Cabin passengers get meals; short trippers (those using Hurtigruten as a ferry connecting to somewhere) do not get meals, but can eat in the a la carte cafe. The cafe charges for coffee, either by the cup or with an unlimited package which includes a mug which indicates that you have the package. I have no idea what the prices are, but being Norway nothing is cheap.

Thom

Thanks! Did the wine and food correspondent to the area you were in? We're the food and wine good?

On the French waterways tour did they dock right in town?

I've found the food on Vantage to be pretty Americanized, since that is where their passengers are from. I thought the food was good, but wouldn't call it gourmet; I certainly didn't go hungry. Breakfast and lunch are mostly buffet; cooked to order omlets in the morning, and a few additional items that can be ordered from the kitchen at lunch. I have to confess that I can't tell good wine from not so good - but there was plenty of it at dinner (beer is also available).

I did both Paris & Highlights of Normandy and Best of Burgundy, Beaujolais & Provence with Vantage in 2015. As far as I remember we were always docked right in town, but there were a number of locations where we were bussed from that town to a more major attraction (D-Day beaches, wineries, etc).

Thom

I have found in my 8 Vantage trips that I have to: 1. remind them of my past trip credits and since I usually took one Vantage trip a year, they would try to "fudge" on the amount of credits they gave me. Once I became "President's Club" (after 3 cruises) I would TELL them "I'm booking a $12,000 trip....GIVE me my $900 credit" and they always backed down. I wouldn't wait 2 years, but if you're booking within a few months, I think they'll give it to you. As for specials, the 2 for 1 concept is rather new to Vantage and I've never used it, so I don't know, but I would certainly ask for my credits to be applied...and if they refuse I would let them know how displeased you are.

SNIP

Interesting. When I booked my initial Vantage cruise a year ago (sailing this coming October) they accepted my referral from a CCer and matched the "loyalty" credit that I have with GCT. They lost that goodwill mucking about with the dates and itinerary.

Interesting. When I booked my initial Vantage cruise a year ago (sailing this coming October) they accepted my referral from a CCer and matched the "loyalty" credit that I have with GCT. They lost that goodwill mucking about with the dates and itinerary.

You know, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Vantage Corporate almost seems to be working at odds with the company. If you can get past the unanswered e-mails and telephone calls and the occasional rude person, once you step off the plane and meet the people actually doing the trip you are in excellent hands and everything is worth it.

I've found the food on Vantage to be pretty Americanized, since that is where their passengers are from. I thought the food was good, but wouldn't call it gourmet; I certainly didn't go hungry. Breakfast and lunch are mostly buffet; cooked to order omlets in the morning, and a few additional items that can be ordered from the kitchen at lunch. I have to confess that I can't tell good wine from not so good - but there was plenty of it at dinner (beer is also available).

I did both Paris & Highlights of Normandy and Best of Burgundy, Beaujolais & Provence with Vantage in 2015. As far as I remember we were always docked right in town, but there were a number of locations where we were bussed from that town to a more major attraction (D-Day beaches, wineries, etc).

Thom

Thom,

I suppose the food may be more tailored for Americans, but our Vantage River Cruises, Russia, China and Douro River of Portugal all had either local cuisine or a very strong local influence.

One thing we liked about breakfast was having bacon or sausage with eggs cooked. Particularly, in China, where all our lunch and dinner meals were Chinese food, and breakfast with a choice of Chinese or American.

Thom,

I suppose the food may be more tailored for Americans, but our Vantage River Cruises, Russia, China and Douro River of Portugal all had either local cuisine or a very strong local influence.

One thing we liked about breakfast was having bacon or sausage with eggs cooked. Particularly, in China, where all our lunch and dinner meals were Chinese food, and breakfast with a choice of Chinese or American.

That's been our experience as well... what I liked about b-fast was that I could actually get fresh fruit and cottage cheese...and broiled tomatoes which I love and hadn't had since we lived in London. :D

You know, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Vantage Corporate almost seems to be working at odds with the company. If you can get past the unanswered e-mails and telephone calls and the occasional rude person, once you step off the plane and meet the people actually doing the trip you are in excellent hands and everything is worth it.

Thanks for this post! This is what we're experiencing right now. I really need to hear that once we're actually "on the ground" we'll have a great trip. We're not picky people; however, I need to know what's planned, what are our options, what to expect, etc. When I'm in a foreign country (where I speak very little of the local language), I don't want any surprises. I can adapt to almost anything- but I need preparation to do so. I'm not getting "preparation" from Vantage corporate.

Thanks for this post! This is what we're experiencing right now. I really need to hear that once we're actually "on the ground" we'll have a great trip. We're not picky people; however, I need to know what's planned, what are our options, what to expect, etc. When I'm in a foreign country (where I speak very little of the local language), I don't want any surprises. I can adapt to almost anything- but I need preparation to do so. I'm not getting "preparation" from Vantage corporate.

In our experience we have found that the "on the ground" experience has always been excellent. The program managers, guides, ships (or hotels) have always made our journeys wonderful experiences (whether in China, Russia, France, Germany, Hungary, India or the US). I think you will find that the experience is an excellent one. We absolutely loved our river cruise through France... some of the french towns have such character! (Don't be afraid to just sit and enjoy some of it! We skipped one of the "goat farm" tours just to be able to explore a town on our own.)

You're welcome!!! And don't be too concerned about the language difference...we have found that virtually everyone in every country with anything to do with tourists, speaks English! Of course a few basic phrases in the native language, like good morning, please and thank you are always appreciated and the one phrase I can say in 7 languages is "where are the bathrooms, please?" :D

Regarding dealing with the local language, we don't let that keep us away from any country.

Still, some countries are harder to manage for us.

Russia--I tried to learn some Russian words and did, but could never read the Cyrillic signs. If you wanted to ride the Moscow subway on your own, you needed to know how many stops from A to B. Still, there were generally people around that could help you, if you needed assistance. Also, some restaurants had English menus.

China--Many people in China, especially the young people speak English. The people are generally friendly, but the cities in China are very, very crowded and the people seem to be in a hurry to get where they are going. No one likes to queue up in a line. Also, you want to know what you are eating since in East Asia, people eat a lot of things that Westerners don't eat. Still, if you are on tour, the vast majority of your meals are included and the restaurants are screened by the tour company.

Japan--The people are wonderful there and willing to assist. There are enough people that know some English. Also, many signs are in English. Same issue with food. We were in Japan for 8 days prior to our cruise and looking at some menus of restaurants in Tokyo Station, when we say on one menu the item "pork rectum." We were told later that this is considered a delicacy in the East. Fortunately, the one restaurant had an English menu. Still, we managed pretty well in Japan, due to the English signs and the helpfulness of the people.

Most European countries are easy to get around if you don't know the language. However, countries like Spain and Portugal seem to have fewer English speakers than Germany and N. Europe. Still, all are manageable.

Regarding dealing with the local language, we don't let that keep us away from any country... Still, some countries are harder to manage for us.

Most European countries are easy to get around if you don't know the language. However, countries like Spain and Portugal seem to have fewer English speakers than Germany and N. Europe. Still, all are manageable.

We found Spain one of the easiest countries to navigate, at least in major cities like Barcelona and Madrid, where it seemed that every sign was in English as well as Spanish. In rural Galicia it was more of a problem, but luckily there we had guides to handle most details.

One curious thing is that in every country in Europe where we have paid attention to it, the red octagon signs at street corners all say S-T-O-P rather than the local language. Even in France -- only in Quebec do they have to be more French than the French and say Arret!

We found Spain one of the easiest countries to navigate, at least in major cities like Barcelona and Madrid, where it seemed that every sign was in English as well as Spanish. In rural Galicia it was more of a problem, but luckily there we had guides to handle most details.

One curious thing is that in every country in Europe where we have paid attention to it, the red octagon signs at street corners all say S-T-O-P rather than the local language. Even in France -- only in Quebec do they have to be more French than the French and say Arret!

In Mexico the stop signs say ALTO and in most South American countries another Spanish word that I don't remember.

Those of you who are "President Club" members I thought the reward credit for a trip increased as the number of trips taken increased. the website seems to say the reward is now 7% and only if booked within 7 days...then goes down to 5% for all past cruisers regardless of the number of trips taken?

Is this new? I may have imagined that there were different levels of rewards.

This seems to be a new policy. In past we got 5% of trip cost and we had 12 months to use it.....after 12 months it dropped by half and kept dropping till gone. I am not happy with Vantage right now...prices have skyrocketed and they seem to be following a less for more policy.

Edited by Hydrokitty

This seems to be a new policy. In past we got 5% of trip cost and we had 12 months to use it.....after 12 months it dropped by half and kept dropping till gone. I am not happy with Vantage right now...prices have skyrocketed and they seem to be following a less for more policy.

Well isn't that special? We've been getting 10% for our last few trips. Guess they don't want our loyalty anymore. Will be looking at AMA, UniWorld and others for our future cruises.

We've discovered ocean cruising with Celebrity and LOVIN' IT :D 3 down 3 booked. I loved the river cruises we did, but quite honestly I am finding them to be ridiculously over-priced and too physically demanding for me. Ocean cruises are giving me much more for my money and I can book excursions that are "mild" or "moderate" and not feel like I'm missing anything. Since I've done 8 river cruises in addition to extensive land travel I don't feel the need to take more river cruises at this time, but if that changes I will certainly be looking at AMA or Uniworld.

ppjnyrockette

maybe Vantage will listen to you since you have been so loyal. There is a BIG difference between 5 and 10% and the inability to use with special pricing too!!! This change will definitely skew our loyalty and make us less hesitant to try new lines especially AMA for us!

We've discovered ocean cruising with Celebrity and LOVIN' IT :D 3 down 3 booked. I loved the river cruises we did, but quite honestly I am finding them to be ridiculously over-priced and too physically demanding for me. Ocean cruises are giving me much more for my money and I can book excursions that are "mild" or "moderate" and not feel like I'm missing anything. Since I've done 8 river cruises in addition to extensive land travel I don't feel the need to take more river cruises at this time, but if that changes I will certainly be looking at AMA or Uniworld.

Ocean cruises are especially efficient when visiting a large number of ports that you otherwise would not be able to visit without a travel hassle. Example, a MED cruise allows you to visit many islands as well as mainland ports. Most of those ports you can see the main sites in one day. There are exceptions like Athens, Rome, Florence, etc. However, those can be done with a pre or post cruise visit.

Some of our cruises like Around the Horn of SA, the British Isles, North Sea and Iceland, Japan, Okinawa, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, or Singapore to Dubai have been amazing.

For going in depth, our Vantage China, Russia (with Kiev and the Baltics) we did a river cruise along with extensive land tour.

We did a Top End cruise from Perth to Sydney Australia and it had a lot of sea days. In retrospect, I thing we could have done better with a long trip. However, we want to do Sydney, NZ and on to Hawaii, which should be great.

Also, transatlantic are great (and cheap) to save flying in one direction. Have a land trip planned in Europe and save flying one way.