All Things Vantage

FuelScience

What is the current policy on bringing liquor (vodka) on board to drink in the cabin on a vantage cruise?
I don't know if there is an official policy, but what you bring onboard (initially or at port stops) is never inspected. People openly bring wine on and AFAIK liquor is also okay. (I have done three river cruises with Vantage in 2015 and 2016). Enjoy.

Thom

What is the current policy on bringing liquor (vodka) on board to drink in the cabin on a vantage cruise?

On our Vantage cruise last year, we (three couples) would even mix gin and tonics in the rooms and take the to the lounge. Never had a problem.

FuelScience

Only restriction we ever had on Vantage was a corking fee so my advice if you haven't left home yet is throw a corkscrew in your checked bag and buy your own when you get there. Vantage actually took us to a private winery on our pre-trip and we were encouraged to buy wine to bring to the ship with us...we all did and they charged 10e to open and store it for us. Next time I brought my own corkscrew and kept wine in my room fridge....we were able to get glasses from the bartender.

No offense, what kind of yutz goes to Europe without a corkscrew and bottle opener? ;)
I often take only a carry on. Security seems to frown on corkscrews. It is a lot easier to buy a corkscrew than all new clothes when the airline has lost your bag.:eek:

So I guess I'm that kind of yutz. Next question:p

Thom

My TSA

HomeHome

Search Results For:

corkscrew (with no blade)

Check or Carry-on

You may transport this items in carry-on or checked baggage. For items you wish to carry on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?src=tsawebsite

I agree that corkscrews without blades are supposed to be allowed, but having lost this argument more than once with a TSA person who got out of bed on the wrong side (and arguing with them can lead to very lengthy inspections), I decided to cut my losses and just pick one up in Europe. Many chain hotels have give away corkscrews. Sometimes I do throw one of those in my carry on, since I'm willing to give it up without argument.

Thom

I seem to be an optimist among this crowd, but I seriously don't believe that we're facing any global cataclysm that would so disrupt travel that a company like Vantage would disappear. Vantage is a US-based (Boston) company that offers a wide variety of travel products.

When I booked, one received a 10% discount for paying a year in advance. I don't know of too many investments that have a guaranteed 10% return these days. Like any investment, there is risk, but I was more than comfortable with assuming that risk.

FuelScience

I just booked and paid in full to,save a huge amount of money. I did buy insurance that does cover default of the company. Had to pay an additional fee, maybe $20.00 for the coverage. It also includes terrorism. I cover all bases.

If a company is in financial trouble the insurance company would not cover that travel company.

No offense, what kind of yutz goes to Europe without a corkscrew and bottle opener? ;)

Obviously one who didn't know it would cost her 10E to open the bottle of wine Vantage encouraged her to buy at their "preferred" vendor stop!!! :D:D

I agree that corkscrews without blades are supposed to be allowed, but having lost this argument more than once with a TSA person who got out of bed on the wrong side (and arguing with them can lead to very lengthy inspections), I decided to cut my losses and just pick one up in Europe. Many chain hotels have give away corkscrews. Sometimes I do throw one of those in my carry on, since I'm willing to give it up without argument.

Thom

Travel Rule #1: Never argue with TSA unless you want to be strip searched (and not by the cute guy) and/or miss your plane and/or have your luggage go to Iowa while you go to Paris. :D

I agree Thom....maybe the corkscrew would be ok in carry-on but you know it'll be ok in checked bag so why take the chance.

Travel Rule #1: Never argue with TSA unless you want to be strip searched (and not by the cute guy) and/or miss your plane and/or have your luggage go to Iowa while you go to Paris. :D

I agree Thom....maybe the corkscrew would be ok in carry-on but you know it'll be ok in checked bag so why take the chance.

What? The Airport Security Screeners conduct retaliatory screenings? I regularly ask for a supervisor when something I know is good is not passed by a screener.

Don't worry about checked bags, they are staged for your flight before you get to security.

What? The Airport Security Screeners conduct retaliatory screenings? I regularly ask for a supervisor when something I know is good is not passed by a screener.

My problem is all the metal screws and plates I have in my body....they just don't believe anyone could be made of that much metal and not be up to no good! :eek:

Don't worry about checked bags, they are staged for your flight before you get to security.

By staged do you mean loaded on a flight to some unknown destination? I think my bags have been to more places than I have. :D

Arrived Frankfurt yesterday...met vantage rep outside customs?..waited about 30 minutes for others on our ship....no problem..expected....but then vantage blew it.....due to construction, the bus was at the very end of the terminal...a 15 minute walk. Did vantage have a porter to take our bags...no. Did the gentleman who led us to the busses offer to help anyone with their heavy bags....eg the older man with the walker or other elderly...no. Did they have water on the bus for the 2 hour trip to the ship...no. Clearly, vantage and its airport agent haven't focused on first impressions and haven't been trained to help passengers who might appreciate a little help...and that's a really big miss to us...not a high quality cruise line reception.

Much better once we reached the boat....but that first impression was incredibly bad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wow....that's a first....I would definitely put this in your trip review because somebody didn't do what they're supposed to do. In 8 trips with Vantage I have claimed my luggage at baggage claim, gone through immigration and usually found Vantage rep. very soon after leaving restricted area. If we're waiting for others to arrive we're taken to an area where we can sit down and depending on the airport, the bus comes for us or we walk to the bus (usually across the airport drive) ....always had help with bags and once I turn them over to their rep. at the airport I don't see them again till either the hotel or ship. Let them know they "blew their first impression"..it's important.

My TSA

HomeHome

Search Results For:

corkscrew (with no blade)

Check or Carry-on

You may transport this items in carry-on or checked baggage. For items you wish to carry on, you should check with the airline to ensure that the item will fit in the overhead bin or underneath the seat of the airplane.

Not a big deal, BUT you didn't quote the last paragraph:

Even if an item is generally permitted, it may be subject to additional screening or not allowed through the checkpoint if it triggers an alarm during the screening process, appears to have been tampered with, or poses other security concerns. The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

We will be taking our first Vantage River cruise in a few weeks. In preparation for the cruise we are trying to decide how many euros we need to bring. We came upon the the section in our documents concerning gratuities. The guidelines were as follows:

Cruise Director: 7-10 euros per person per day.

Concierge: 7-11 euros per person per day

Ship staff and crew: 10 euros per day per person

And tips for local guides and drivers.

The total for the Vantage staff would come to over 500 euros for an 11 day trip. It seems kind of high to us. Of course if this is the going rate we will tip accordingly. Any comments?

We will be taking our first Vantage River cruise in a few weeks. In preparation for the cruise we are trying to decide how many euros we need to bring. We came upon the the section in our documents concerning gratuities. The guidelines were as follows:

Cruise Director: 7-10 euros per person per day.

Concierge: 7-11 euros per person per day

Ship staff and crew: 10 euros per day per person

And tips for local guides and drivers.

The total for the Vantage staff would come to over 500 euros for an 11 day trip. It seems kind of high to us. Of course if this is the going rate we will tip accordingly. Any comments?

Well 7 euros a day per person (are there two of you?) X 11 days is 77 euros for the Cruise Director. And 77 euros a day for the Concierge. Plus 110 euros for the crew. Total 264 euros per person for an 11 day cruise. Two people = 528 euro (minimum).

Gratuities on our river cruise were higher than gratuities on the ocean cruises we've taken. You get a lot more personalized service on river cruises.

You might want to check web sites for other lines and see how their suggested tipping policies differ. We're doing Avalon soon, and they suggest €12 per day for crew and €3 for the cruise director.

On our Vantage cruise last year, I really didn't see that the concierge did a lot. For a couple of our stops I had questions about local museums, and I knew more about them than she did. For one, the Landesmuseum in Trier, she wasn't even aware that it existed.

Also, if I remember correctly, you can put all your tips on a credit card with Vantage.

FuelScience

The amounts for the CD and concierge sound high. Those amounts are well above what GCT suggests for their PD and they provide services to a lot fewer cruisers.

Where did you find those amounts? I looked around on "my portfolio" for tips and came up empty.

The amounts for the CD and concierge sound high. Those amounts are well above what GCT suggests for their PD and they provide services to a lot fewer cruisers.

Where did you find those amounts? I looked around on "my portfolio" for tips and came up empty.

It's usually in with final documents....and it does seem kind of high.

our documents said:

Gratuity of €17* per passenger, per day will be pre-charged to the guests’ credit card and can be

adjusted at the end of the cruise or modified to cash gratuities. The Gratuities are shared among

the whole crew, including the Cruise Director and Concierge.

* The €17 per passenger, per day is applicable for all non-suite cabins. All guests in suites,

including the Owner’s Suite will be pre-charged €20 per passenger, per day.

Vantage tip amount vary not only by cabin category, but also vary by location.

We are doing both the Irrawaddy and Mekong in November and "My Portfolio" lists:

Cruise Portion of Tour

Tipping for shore excursion guides, drivers, and all other small tips are included (including transfers to and from pier)

Shipboard staff: $14.00 per person per day. Tips will be added to your final bill for the convenience of paying with a credit card. The tip amount can be adjusted as needed.

Vantage Cruise Director: $8.00 - $12.00 per person per day

If you quote numbers, please identify WHERE you are cruising.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I are considering booking a Vantage cruise and were wondering about the tipping. By my calculations of what I just read on this forum 7 € x 11 days x 175 passengers = 13,475 € per 11 day cruise in tips. At a rate of 10€ x 11 days x 175 passengers = 19250 € per 11 day trip. Is that what is expected to be given to a cruise director and also the concierge? Are they also given a regular salary? When I have read about dining in restaurants in France tipping was not as expected as in the US as staff are generally paid a "living wage.". I'm confused.... And the rest of the staff receives 10 € per day to be divided?

My husband and I are considering booking a Vantage cruise and were wondering about the tipping. By my calculations of what I just read on this forum 7 € x 11 days x 175 passengers = 13,475 € per 11 day cruise in tips. At a rate of 10€ x 11 days x 175 passengers = 19250 € per 11 day trip. Is that what is expected to be given to a cruise director and also the concierge? Are they also given a regular salary? When I have read about dining in restaurants in France tipping was not as expected as in the US as staff are generally paid a "living wage

I'm not sure what you're asking....10E per person x 11 days is 110E per person. IME in 8 Vantage trips we paid $12-14pp/day and that covers tips for everyone working on the ship, including housekeeping, dining room, and crew. These people work for the company that Vantage hires to staff the ship. The cruise director and concierge are paid separately because they are independent contractors who are hired directly by Vantage. They usually get $8-12 pp/day. Everyone on board is salaried but they rely on the tips for the bulk of their income. FYI you can put all tips on your credit card and you can adjust the amountup or down if you wish to as long as you do it before the last day of the cruise.

As for France, I have never eaten in a restaurant in France where tipping was not expected. The only countries where I know for certain tipping is not expected are Switzerland and Belgium because their laws provide that all service charges be included in the bill. China and Japan consider tipping to be rude and insulting since good service is a matter of National pride. That being said, I have never had anyone run after me as I left a restaurant to return a tip!! :D

Edited by Hydrokitty