All Things Vantage

FuelScience

This is a Vantage, but not a river cruise question.

Have any of you taken the Vantage South African trip? We are currently looking at the trip in late may of 2017 and would appreciate any feedback anyone might have on the trip.

We have taken this trip but it was several years ago and the itinerary has changed. What questions do you have?

...Have any of you taken the Vantage South African trip? We are currently looking at the trip in late may of 2017 and would appreciate any feedback anyone might have on the trip.
We did the Vantage South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and back to SA trip in Nov 2015. We thought it was first rate, and had outstanding animal sightings. I think the 2017 itinerary is dropping Capetown which was included in our base trip (but the Vantage website is so bad that I can't get it to show any African or Safari trips). Happy to answer any specific questions.

Thom

We have taken this trip but it was several years ago and the itinerary has changed. What questions do you have?

Just the basic on the quality of the tour guides and other personnel? Did it seem well run. Did you have any issues where you feel that they did not deliver what was expected? Did things run on time?

We did the Vantage South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia and back to SA trip in Nov 2015. We thought it was first rate, and had outstanding animal sightings. I think the 2017 itinerary is dropping Capetown which was included in our base trip (but the Vantage website is so bad that I can't get it to show any African or Safari trips). Happy to answer any specific questions.

Thom

They now have Cape Town as an extension, but the base trip now seems to spend more time in the game preserves.

They seem to have moved some of their trips to Vantageadventure.com from the normal web site.

Sounds like you felt that they did a good job. Any areas where you felt they did not deliver?

Just the basic on the quality of the tour guides and other personnel?Excellent

Did it seem well run.Yes

Did you have any issues where you feel that they did not deliver what was expected? No

Did things run on time?Yes

While it is always possible to find something to complain about (eg it was downright cold one Kruger morning safari [but there were lots of blankets available in the vehicle]), overall the trip exceeded our expectations. It was my 6th trip to Africa (I have done a Kenya safari before), but Lyn's 1st Africa trip. Our guide had someone obtain our Zimbabwe-Zambia visa before we ever arrived at the border (we gave him our passports and the US$50 fee the night before), and breezed right through. Things like that really remove some of the normal irritations of travel. We had outstanding animal sightings (not fully under the control of the company, but good guides certainly help). Our experience was unconditionally excellent.

Thom

While it is always possible to find something to complain about (eg it was downright cold one Kruger morning safari [but there were lots of blankets available in the vehicle]), overall the trip exceeded our expectations. It was my 6th trip to Africa (I have done a Kenya safari before), but Lyn's 1st Africa trip. Our guide had someone obtain our Zimbabwe-Zambia visa before we ever arrived at the border (we gave him our passports and the US$50 fee the night before), and breezed right through. Things like that really remove some of the normal irritations of travel. We had outstanding animal sightings (not fully under the control of the company, but good guides certainly help). Our experience was unconditionally excellent.

Thom

Thank you. Sound like they did a good job. Last time I checked the weather was outside of the control of the company :) so I would not hold things like that against them.

This will be our first land tour with them, though we have done some with other companies. Have had guides that plan ahead and problems either don't occur or are handled quickly. Have had some for which the opposite is true.

Thom

One other question. One of the members of our party has had some back problems. How rough is the ride when animal viewing from the jeeps? Heavy bouncing around, with sudden hard jolts, or more moderate.

One other question. One of the members of our party has had some back problems. How rough is the ride when animal viewing from the jeeps? Heavy bouncing around, with sudden hard jolts, or more moderate.
All our game drives in Chobe and Kruger were on paved or pretty good quality gravel roads, so I'd say more moderate, but there were some jolts.

While weather is not within control of the guides, it was nice that they were aware of it and had lots of blankets.:)

Thom

OK if we move on to another question?

We're coming up on the "pay now for best discount" date for our cruise. My husband is concerned whether the problems now occurring in Europe may cause some financial issues with the river cruising industry. Specifically Vantage, since they're fairly "small" in the river cruising world.

Any opinions on whether there's something to be worried about, relating to Vantage maybe going out of business in the next 15 months?

Our insurance doesn't seem to cover financial default of the company. They kinda get you in a bind - you have to purchase within 14 days of original deposit for pre-exisiting conditions, but won't cover financial default if it occurs longer than 12 months from insurance purchase date.

Booking a river cruise when first available isn't always the best way to go, I guess.

OK if we move on to another question?

We're coming up on the "pay now for best discount" date for our cruise. My husband is concerned whether the problems now occurring in Europe may cause some financial issues with the river cruising industry. Specifically Vantage, since they're fairly "small" in the river cruising world.

Any opinions on whether there's something to be worried about, relating to Vantage maybe going out of business in the next 15 months?

Our insurance doesn't seem to cover financial default of the company. They kinda get you in a bind - you have to purchase within 14 days of original deposit for pre-exisiting conditions, but won't cover financial default if it occurs longer than 12 months from insurance purchase date.

Booking a river cruise when first available isn't always the best way to go, I guess.

If it were me, I think I'd wait until closer to the departure to pay in full.With the global situation as it is one really doesn't know whether any company will still be in business in 15 months, although as far as I know Vantage is pretty solvent but that doesn't really mean anything does it? It's also possible that in 15 months none of us will be going anywhere outside of our backyard. It truly is a dilemma and I don't know what to tell you.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Yep, more questions. :)

We arrive at the Lyon airport and then transfer to the ship in Chalon sur Saône for the Best of Burgandy, Beaujolais, and Provance. Our flights are booked through Vantage so we have transfers included.

What should we expect of the transfer process. We arrive at the Lyon airport and then transfer to the ship in Chalon sur Saône for the Best of Burgandy, Beaujolais, and Provance. It looks to be at least a 90 minute drive. Are we going to wait for a scheduled shuttle? Will they have more frequent transfers, possibly even private or small group just for our arrival flight or timed to flights scheduled to arrive at about the same time?

Also, iF anyone has experience connecting in Madrid coming from the States, what is the process? Luggage will be checked through to Lyon.

If it were me, I think I'd wait until closer to the departure to pay in full.With the global situation as it is one really doesn't know whether any company will still be in business in 15 months, although as far as I know Vantage is pretty solvent but that doesn't really mean anything does it? It's also possible that in 15 months none of us will be going anywhere outside of our backyard. It truly is a dilemma and I don't know what to tell you.

Vantage isn't just river cruising -- they do various types of trips all over the world, including the US. So they are as well positioned as anybody to weather the vicissitudes of travel fears.

Thanks to both of you. You've really captured the "what if" back and forth we are going through.

Personally, I like paying off the cruise early to get a discount. But I don't like the having to pay that much soooooo far out.

I brought it up that Vantage isn't just "river cruising", but, I guess, it wouldn't matter in a world-view position whether it's just Europe that has problems or all of us.

I think we're leaning strongly to biting the bullet and holding our payment until closer to the cruise date (even though it will cost us more that way).

Thanks to both of you. You've really captured the "what if" back and forth we are going through.

Personally, I like paying off the cruise early to get a discount. But I don't like the having to pay that much soooooo far out.

I brought it up that Vantage isn't just "river cruising", but, I guess, it wouldn't matter in a world-view position whether it's just Europe that has problems or all of us.

I think we're leaning strongly to biting the bullet and holding our payment until closer to the cruise date (even though it will cost us more that way).

Quite honestly Schmoo I'm more concerned about the global situation than Vantage going bankrupt. I'd rather lose the discount than the whole thing.

I seem to be an optimist among this crowd, but I seriously don't believe that we're facing any global cataclysm that would so disrupt travel that a company like Vantage would disappear. Vantage is a US-based (Boston) company that offers a wide variety of travel products.

When I booked, one received a 10% discount for paying a year in advance. I don't know of too many investments that have a guaranteed 10% return these days. Like any investment, there is risk, but I was more than comfortable with assuming that risk.

FuelScience

I seem to be an optimist among this crowd, but I seriously don't believe that we're facing any global cataclysm that would so disrupt travel that a company like Vantage would disappear. Vantage is a US-based (Boston) company that offers a wide variety of travel products.

When I booked, one received a 10% discount for paying a year in advance. I don't know of too many investments that have a guaranteed 10% return these days. Like any investment, there is risk, but I was more than comfortable with assuming that risk.

FuelScience

People thought the same thing about Tom Harper until they went bankrupt. I believe they had the same 10% discount for paying cash in advance. The head of Tom Harper was Bret Gordon who was an exec at Vantage prior to creating Tom Harper (probably where he got the 10% discount for payment in advance idea).

Not saying Vantage is not financially sound. Just that one seldom knows in advance when a company is in financial trouble and when they go they go quickly.

The longevity of Vantage is in its favor compared to the 1 year or so that Tom Harper lasted. But still we live in interesting times and with rapid changes in currency, terrorism threats, tourism changes, etc. It can stress companies that well managed. Travel companies are not known for large profit margins.

It also looks like Vantage has made some changes in their business structures and have split off some trips into Vantage Adventures. Do not know if they have split into separate corporate structures, but they have certainly changed their marketing approach into the two different web sites.

Always a good idea to know what your options are if a problem occurs and the value of hedging against potential losses in case of an issue.

Now the 10% cash discount might cover a travel insurance policy that includes vendor financial default coverage (not all do).

Paying with a credit card may also give some protection in case of vendor default, for non-delivery of services.

Edited by RDC1

People thought the same thing about Tom Harper until they went bankrupt. I believe they had the same 10% discount for paying cash in advance. The head of Tom Harper was Bret Gordon who was an exec at Vantage prior to creating Tom Harper (probably where he got the 10% discount for payment in advance idea).

Not saying Vantage is not financially sound. Just that one seldom knows in advance when a company is in financial trouble and when they go they go quickly.

It also looks like Vantage has made some changes in their business structures and have split off some trips into Vantage Adventures. Do not know if they have split into separate corporate structures, but they have certainly changed their marketing approach into the two different web sites.

Always a good idea to know what your options are if a problem occurs and the value of hedging against potential losses in case of an issue.

Now the 10% cash discount might cover a travel insurance policy that includes vendor financial default coverage (not all do).

Paying with a credit card may also give some protection in case of vendor default, for non-delivery of services.

But, if we use the 10% savings to purchase the default insurance, we're not gaining anything, right?

And Vantage prefers the electronic payments (via a checking account), not a credit card, so no coverage there.

But, if we use the 10% savings to purchase the default insurance, we're not gaining anything, right?

And Vantage prefers the electronic payments (via a checking account), not a credit card, so no coverage there.

Depends upon your insurance policy. For example on a trip I am considering a 10% savings would allow me to buy a policy that would provide medical, trip cancellation, trip delay, etc as well as vendor default. So it would technically give you more then just protection from vendor default.

Another way to put it is if you are going to buy insurance anyway (not from the travel provider themselves since their insurance usually does not cover vendor default) the 10% savings can fund all or part of the cost, just make sure the policy covers vendor default.

Using electronic payments saves them money (no credit card fees) so that would be their preferred method, but as you say no protections.

Like may things it all depends upon your risk profile. It all comes down to making an informed decision and what risks you are willing to assume. A 10% savings against the chance of default. Most of the time the savings works out.

Of course the same people that say that they will absorb the risk might also be the same people screaming the most when the rare default happens.

Edited by RDC1

Depends upon your insurance policy. For example on a trip I am considering a 10% savings would allow me to buy a policy that would provide medical, trip cancellation, trip delay, etc as well as vendor default. So it would technically give you more then just protection from vendor default.

Another way to put it is if you are going to buy insurance anyway (not from the travel provider themselves since their insurance usually does not cover vendor default) the 10% savings can fund all or part of the cost, just make sure the policy covers vendor default.

Using electronic payments saves them money (no credit card fees) so that would be their preferred method, but as you say no protections.

Like may things it all depends upon your risk profile. It all comes down to making an informed decision and what risks you are willing to assume. A 10% savings against the chance of default. Most of the time the savings works out.

Of course the same people that say that they will absorb the risk might also be the same people screaming the most when the rare default happens.

Sadly, we've already purchased 3rd party insurance. And, while there is coverage for vendor default, it's only effective for 12 months after the purchase date of the insurance (as far as I can tell - all the whys and wherefores confuse me). And we booked this trip 22 months out.

Sadly, we've already purchased 3rd party insurance. And, while there is coverage for vendor default, it's only effective for 12 months after the purchase date of the insurance (as far as I can tell - all the whys and wherefores confuse me). And we booked this trip 22 months out.

Odds are everything will be fine. Just something to consider when it comes to timing next time.

We paid in full over a year out as we got a FABULOUS PRICE, just too good to pass up and a no risk $50 only penalty if we cancel. It was worth the risk. Could they go belly up, yes of course but it's doubtful and it wasn't that much money that if worse came to worse we couldn't afford to lose it.

Just the basic on the quality of the tour guides and other personnel? Did it seem well run. Did you have any issues where you feel that they did not deliver what was expected? Did things run on time?

We were extremely pleased with our trip to Africa (Zimbabwe, South Africa and at the time an added extension to Namibia). Our guide was excellent (Deidre was her name) and we were very pleased with the hotels (and camp in Kruger). At the time we went we had to fly to Zambia and then bus to Zimbabwe. (Vantage took care of the border fees) My husband got sick in Zimbabwe and we spent extra time at the hotel there will he recovered rejoining the group in CapeTown. Our guide and Vantage took care of everything. Weather was excellent (we went in October) and had amazing animal sightings.

I know the itinerary is different now (hope they are not dropping CapeTown---we really enjoyed our time, there!)

We were extremely pleased with our trip to Africa (Zimbabwe, South Africa and at the time an added extension to Namibia). Our guide was excellent (Deidre was her name) and we were very pleased with the hotels (and camp in Kruger). At the time we went we had to fly to Zambia and then bus to Zimbabwe. (Vantage took care of the border fees) My husband got sick in Zimbabwe and we spent extra time at the hotel there will he recovered rejoining the group in CapeTown. Our guide and Vantage took care of everything. Weather was excellent (we went in October) and had amazing animal sightings.

I know the itinerary is different now (hope they are not dropping CapeTown---we really enjoyed our time, there!)

Thank you. Capetown is now an optional extension.

• 2 weeks later...