All Things Vantage

FuelScience

We are going on Oct. 20.....the trip right before yours.

It is Delta planes all the way.

I thought we delayed changing the clocks until after Halloween.....so not as dark for the little ones Trick or Treating. But that might just be a fanciful thought on my part.

All 3 non-stops a day AMS - MRS are on Air France. Delta has no owned flights that are within Europe because of cabbotage laws - DL is code sharing on AF metal. Pretty much any high 4 digit flight number is a code share. Your flight to AMS might be on DL or might be on one of its Sky Team partners such as KLM (which is owned by AF). This makes a difference not only for EU261 protections, but also where you check in. Usually your check-in will be with the company flying the plane, not the code share partner you are ticketed through.

SNIP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been at LHR when there were two separate permanent signs on the Departures Board:

1) "Flight gates will be posted 15 minutes before Departure"

2) "It may take 20 minutes to get to your gate from here"

Gee thanks fellows:mad:

stay calm

And run around like a chicken with its head cut off.

:rolleyes: :p

We go from Philly to Madrid to Lyon, with about 1 hour 40 minutes in Madrid. Our docs say we arrive in Madrid in Terminal 4S and must got to Terminal 4 for our flight to Lyon.

Anyone have specific guidance on best way to do this? I found something on-line about dong the reverse!

Also, what lines do we need to go through, and where?

Thanks for any help!

Car-Stan

I did have Traveller Thom confused with Cpt Trips.

But Trav. Thom, can you tell us about the highlights of the Rhone trip.....and maybe better yet, the lowlights. What should we not bother with?

Meanwhile re: my other issue.....I'm waiting to hear back from upper management. The first person after the original rep wasn't authorized to deal with the issue of any kind of refund. I'm still hopeful.

In 2015 when I did Vantage Rhone I did it in conjunction to the 10 night Seine trip. The main negative was after close to 20 river cruises I had my first day where we could not sail (water too high and too fast). In compensation for a 1.5 hour bus ride Vantage threw in an extra museum visit and some free drinks - I was fully satisfied. I did the optional to Pont du Gard, and I thought it worthwhile. I'm a DIY person and looked into getting there on my own, but was happy taking the easy way out with Vantage.

In 2015 when I did Vantage Rhone I did it in conjunction to the 10 night Seine trip. The main negative was after close to 20 river cruises I had my first day where we could not sail (water too high and too fast). In compensation for a 1.5 hour bus ride Vantage threw in an extra museum visit and some free drinks - I was fully satisfied. I did the optional to Pont du Gard, and I thought it worthwhile. I'm a DIY person and looked into getting there on my own, but was happy taking the easy way out with Vantage.

Did you find any good restaurants on your rambles? If you remember names, can you pass them along? We like to DIY also.

Did you find any good restaurants on your rambles? If you remember names, can you pass them along? We like to DIY also.
We were kept busy enough that we never went to a "real" restaurant - just some cafes, bars and spent the better part of one afternoon grazing in Les Halles de Lyon Paul Bocuse. Most of the fantastic food sold in the stalls there is taken away, but there is plenty to eat on the spot. Not a lot of English spoken, but if you smile, point and buy, no problems. No dinner that night:p Do remember to start each encounter with "Bon Jour!" - getting off on the right start in France is usually much more important than "s'il vour plais" or "merci", but you are welcome to use those also.

We're heading out on Monday for the Best of Burgundy, Beaujolais, and Provence with Vantage. This is our 4th trip with Vantage and have been happy with everyone of them - Russia, the Elbe, and Norway with Hurtigruten.

Right now our biggest concern is getting out of Boston with Hurricane Matthew heading our way! We're waiting to see what is supposed to happen before contacting Vantage to see what they think. We could head out early if they can rearrange our flights. We currently have a 3 hour lay over in Frankfurt en route which should be fine if we leave Boston as planned. Keeping our fingers crossed.

As a point of interest - we often travel with friends who travel with OAT. They are very happy with Vantage when we are together. It is slightly different travel but they are aware of this and are pleased to travel with us. I think OAT travels with smaller groups and presents more intimate, local experiences - although I am only basing my opinions on their reports.

We're really looking forward to this trip. We've wanted to see Pont du Gard and this is our chance! We've actually driven around Provence in the past, including Avignon but love river cruising.

Snonomo - I'll try to post a few comments as we go along - but not promising.

Car-Stan - hopefully I'll be able to post some kind of a review quickly once we get home.

That would be great, Zogrand. I'll look for them.

Seems like we have a "triple Play" going on here. We board the ship when you get off and then Car Stan and Cpt. Trips board when we depart.

Just saw latest Matthew report......as of now......which can change every 5 minutes, it is possibly going to head out after the Carolinas. We are keeping a close eye because we have a sailboat down in Maryland.....very minor importance compared to the overall devastation going on.

Car Stan - just noticed your home - praying that Matthew is kind to you! It sounds as if we may be safe in MA but you are still in the path. Stay safe!

Snonomo - hope wifi is good while we're away. Free wifi is a good thing if it works!!

We go from Philly to Madrid to Lyon, with about 1 hour 40 minutes in Madrid. Our docs say we arrive in Madrid in Terminal 4S and must got to Terminal 4 for our flight to Lyon.

Anyone have specific guidance on best way to do this? I found something on-line about dong the reverse!

Thanks for any help!

Car-Stan

We had a lengthy layover in Madrid on our trip from Atlanta to Lisbon. The Madrid airport strikes me as old, a bit run down, and not modern. We had too walk quite some distance to get from our incoming gate to our outgoing gate.

Still, it is not a huge airport and it shouldn't be hard to transfer in 1 hour and 40 minutes.

Thanks to all of you for your good wishes re the weather. Right now, it looks like we will be pretty much ok, as we are about 30 miles west of Raleigh, and about 2.5 - 3 hours from the ocean.

Thanks also for the info.

Zogrand, I hope you are able to get out before anything hits...even more, I hope it is way out to sea before it even gets up north. We will look for your review, and hope you have a fantastic trip!

SHARON - I hope you will be safe at the beach. I have been trying to reach friends in New Bern to see if they have any plans if they are told to evacuate.

Car-Stan

Originally Posted by TravelerThom View Post

SNIP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been at LHR when there were two separate permanent signs on the Departures Board:

Never seen that and I spend a lot of time at LHR. It normally says: "Gates will be posted 15 minutes before they open." Finger trouble perhaps.

We're really looking forward to this trip. We've wanted to see Pont du Gard and this is our chance! We've actually driven around Provence in the past, including Avignon but love river cruising.

Car-Stan - hopefully I'll be able to post some kind of a review quickly once we get home.

Zogrand,

We went on a bus to Pont du Gard from Avignon a few years ago. Very beautiful, majestic and cool site. You will enjoy it!

Car-Stan

Thanks for any help!

Car-Stan

there is an automated train between terminal 4 and 4S. It is on floor -2. Not sure if Madrid will require you to do some kind of security check after clearing passport control. The train itself in inside security and run frequently.

Edited by RDC1

Originally Posted by TravelerThom View Post

SNIP

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never seen that and I spend a lot of time at LHR. It normally says: "Gates will be posted 15 minutes before they open." Finger trouble perhaps.

That is my understanding as well, they are posted 15 minutes prior to boarding start.

Car-Stan

We have been on six GCCL river trips including Rhine-Mosel and Great Rivers.We have been on three Vantage river trips including Burgundy in 2015. I will not repeat comments alresdy made by ghstudio. The overall experience was similar, but the Vantage River Discovery II was built in 2012 and has moveable twin beds which can be pushed together to make a double. Vantage includes wine only with dinner. Most docks were within walking distance of the towns, but there were several hour long bus rides to vineyards.

Thom

TravelerThom,

You mentioned several long bus rides to vineyards...were these vineyards worth the time you spent on the bus, or would you rather have done something else during that time? Were there other options - e.g., just wandering around a town?

Do you remember which bus rides/vineyards you wish you had not taken or visited?

Stan

Hi. We are taking this cruise leaving October 30 but we are flying out of JFK. I look forward to reading about your trip.

Thanks.

We're heading out on Monday for the Best of Burgundy, Beaujolais, and Provence with Vantage. This is our 4th trip with Vantage and have been happy with everyone of them - Russia, the Elbe, and Norway with Hurtigruten.

Right now our biggest concern is getting out of Boston with Hurricane Matthew heading our way! We're waiting to see what is supposed to happen before contacting Vantage to see what they think. We could head out early if they can rearrange our flights. We currently have a 3 hour lay over in Frankfurt en route which should be fine if we leave Boston as planned. Keeping our fingers crossed.

As a point of interest - we often travel with friends who travel with OAT. They are very happy with Vantage when we are together. It is slightly different travel but they are aware of this and are pleased to travel with us. I think OAT travels with smaller groups and presents more intimate, local experiences - although I am only basing my opinions on their reports.

Snonomo - I'll try to post a few comments as we go along - but not promising.

Good luck with what ever the hurricane does. Wishing you safe and easy travels. How did you like the Vantage/Hurtengruten trip? We're doing it, leaving Dec. 1st. on their Nordkapp. Really looking forward to a great experience rather. Would appreciate your input.