Fly cruise arrive 3hrs before departure?

radox1

Hi,

We are going on the Ventura around the Mediterranean on the 20th August flying from Manchester Airport. The flight is at 6am and the e-ticket states we should check in 3 hours before.

Is this when checkin opens or closes? Ideally we would like to arrive around 2 hours before and get some more sleep :o

Hi,

We are going on the Ventura around the Mediterranean on the 20th August flying from Manchester Airport. The flight is at 6am and the e-ticket states we should check in 3 hours before.

Is this when checkin opens or closes? Ideally we would like to arrive around 2 hours before and get some more sleep :o

This is the recommended time that it will take to check-in and go thru security. Check the airline site, some specify min time before flight to check in.

I arrived at Gatwick 3 hours before my Venice flight, as suggested by P&O. There were 3 people at check-in? and 5 staff. The staff had been there at least a hour longer. I reckon I could have saved myself an hour of sleep :(

check the airline as well as normally they recommend about 2 hours for short haul flights.

Got our flight details last week for Caribbean cruise from Manchester says 4 hours before he flight is 9-15 am so that is early check in most of Manchester airport doesn't open till 6-30 am would be handy if that flight was night before checkin could get 2 more hours in bed :)

If it says three hours then I would abide by that. I know some people who arrive as late as possible then moan a bucketful that they can not sit together.

What's an hour to ensure you have plenty of time with no worries.

Just my way.

Have a great cruise.

If you get there 2 hours before and for whatever reason there's a hold-up, you wouldn't have any case to argue. 3 hours is where they (more or less) guarantee you'll make the plane. 2 hours would almost certainly be fine, but you'd be bearing the risk.

If you get there 2 hours before and for whatever reason there's a hold-up, you wouldn't have any case to argue. 3 hours is where they (more or less) guarantee you'll make the plane. 2 hours would almost certainly be fine, but you'd be bearing the risk.

funny thing is I am flying from gatwick to corfu on Thomsons and the suggested check-in time is 2 hours before the flight :confused:

I am aiming to get there at leat 45 mins before that.

I would just like to add a word of caution to this post.

We flew to Switzerland last week (land based hol) from Manchester, and had an 8.40am flight, with a 6.40am check in.

We always stay at the Radisson, so its a short walk to the terminal for early morning flights. We went to the airport around 6.15am, and checked in our cases. Then the fun (not!) starts.

We went through to the departures hall, with the intention of going through security, and then getting a coffee etc before our flight. If any of you are familiar with the departures hall, when you come through the doors, the security section is off the the r/h side. The queue was zig zag style, around 6 rows deep, then right across the full length of the departures hall, through the auto doors, into the car park, and onto the multi story car park! I've never seen anything like it in my life. It took us 1 3/4 hours to get through security, and then a quick rush to grab a coffee, then down to the gate to catch the plane.

We had a similar experience last October, but thought at the time it was a 'one off'. Obviously it wasn't.

IMHO, go and get checked in as soon as you possibly can, get through security and then you might have time to catch a quick coffee like we did.

Lou

Thanks everyone for your replies. We are staying in an airport hotel the night before so there should be no issues getting to the airport.

I don't like the sound of a 1hr 45 min security queue!

Not long to go now :D

As a regular flier through Manchester for business reasons until I retired last year I would definitely stick with the 3 hour check-in. I have known up to 2 hours queue to get through security.

There is a Fast track system available at Manchester to get through security quicker that I usually used because it was free to business class travellers and even that could take up to 30 minutes at really busy times, I believe that anyone can now pay to take advantage of this now for £3.50 ( you may have to pre-book it) but I don't know whether a lot of people are taking advantage of this and so making this queue longer now.

I would also be inclined to stick to the suggested check-in times. Two weeks ago we flew from Heathrow to Munich (land holiday) on a 7 am flight, check-in at 5. We'd done online check-in with BA, the idea being that having been up since 3, we would drop bags, go through security and grab a coffee/something to eat to fortify us. When we arrived we queued in what appeared to be the bag drop queue (the sign that said "Bag Drop" gave it away), there was plenty of staff and few people, but most people seemed to be directed elsewhere, as were we. We were sent to another part of the terminal, with massive queues and virtually no staff. The "bag drop" took 45 minutes and was identical to a normal check-in at the desk, so the online check-in procedure I'd done at home was a complete waste of time. Consequently by the time we got through security, there was no time for coffee or a croissant/bacon sandwich - it more or less straight onto the plane. Good in one way because less hanging about, but the cup of stewed, lukewarm tea proffered by BA did not make up for the piping-hot, frothy cappuccino I'd been looking forward to.

That was my first experience of flying from Terminal 5 and it did not make a good impression!

I was once told by BA that if bag drop closes at X then you need to arrive at bag drop with enough time to drop hags, say 5 mins. If you get there and the queue is 20 mins long just ask a staff member where to drop bags for the flight that closes in.5 mins and you will find yourself at the front of the queue.

Airlines rely on people not all turning up with 5 minutes to go but if they do, the airline has to accommodate them as the queue is under BA's management not the passenger. i.e. More staff = no queue, less staff = queue therefore if BA choose less staff, cannot disadvantage customer. BA's words not mine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk