Travel Insurance

Yodalicious

We have always used the HAL Platinum, cancel for any reason insurance. It includes pre-existing medical conditions and evacuation insurance. We have had to make claims twice and have been very satisfied with the outcome on both occasions.

Some 'older' friends (he is 92 and going strong, she is early 80's) mentioned that they now only buy HAL insurance as HAL does not charge by age as some other agencies do when you price out a policy. Also, recommend you check to see if 1 person is evacuated, will the insurance cover the companion/ spouse, etc to also fly home. Had a friend leave a cruise in Cape Town for medical reasons and the insurance took care of everything for her but her husband had to buy his own ticket. He was not amused and found it interesting as the insurance company would have paid a nurse to fly home with her and he had a note from the ship's MD that she should not travel alone due to her pain medications. Several months later, they are still working on details of the claim.

Be very careful when reading policies and comparing coverage before you buy.

We have used Travel Guard ever since it was recommended to us by our TA several years ago. Last year we really needed it on a trip through the Panama Canal. Unfortunately, DH and each got bronchitis and needed to use the ship medical services, twice for me. I can't say enough about the quality of that service, and as a former nurse, I'm picky! When home we filed claims with Travel Guard to cover the medical expenses, and they reimbursed us quickly and without any hassle. We will use them again. At the time they were also among the less expensive for the same coverage.

We also use Travel Guard. Have never had to file a claim (knock wood!), but I feel better knowing we're insured, especially for evacuation. Ever since I saw a teenager with a broken leg stretched out across four of the middle seats on a 747, I've considered travel insurance to be a necessity.

In fact, I just bought insurance for our winter cruise.

Check any policies you consider for coverage of pre-existing conditions. With Travel Guard if you buy within 2 weeks of making the booking, they cover pre-existing conditions, and that could save a lot of wrangling later.

When I see posts like these, I wonder why folks don't opt for a credit card that includes travel insurance. For an $85 annual fee, my card provides $10,000 trip cancellation/delay insurance plus many other perks. I then only need to purchase some supplemental medical/evacuation insurance for a marginal cost. This card pays for itself over and over again plus having very good benefits such as 2 for 1 miles on entertainment, end of year bonus and no foreign exchange fees.

We used Travel Safe (through Insuremytrip.com) for a recent flight to Europe. Never again! They paid our medical claim (my spouse had surgery before our departure and the doctor would not allow him to fly), but the paperwork was endless. It seemed to us that they stalled as long as they could.

When I see posts like these, I wonder why folks don't opt for a credit card that includes travel insurance. For an $85 annual fee, my card provides $10,000 trip cancellation/delay insurance plus many other perks. I then only need to purchase some supplemental medical/evacuation insurance for a marginal cost. This card pays for itself over and over again plus having very good benefits such as 2 for 1 miles on entertainment, end of year bonus and no foreign exchange fees.

We have credit card insurance as well and would have been a good option if DH did not have a pre existing condition (with changes), so HAL insurance, cancel for any reason, is a good option for us.

We have credit card insurance as well and would have been a good option if DH did not have a pre existing condition (with changes), so HAL insurance, cancel for any reason, is a good option for us.

Likewise, our card (Chase Sapphire) has pretty good benefits, but there is a pre-existing condition clause for the travel insurance coverage. It's not so much an issue for us, but we need it for our non-traveling relatives. We will rely on our card coverage for some trips, and for others, we'll buy travel insurance.