Picnic Lunch on the Getaway?

CricketCruiser

Wondering if there's a way to order a packed lunch to take with us off the ship. Or maybe we need to pack some baggies from home and do the packing ourselves from the buffet before leaving? Just thinking it would be nice to have lunch on the beach in St. John...thanks

They don't check bags when leaving the ship.

However, the beach excursion on St John is very nice but 90 minutes are used for travel back and forth. You get a short time on the beach before its time to go back. Eat lunch when you get back. Enjoy the beach and swimming. Not much time for a picnic.

Which beach & how are you getting there? Packing stuff to the ferry & then your beach of choice wouldn't be worth the hassle IMHO

Rather than pack stuff off the ship, especially if you are taking the ferry, get some local food on St John to take with you.

Get some Pates from Hercules or some picnic eats from one of the delis.

A pate & a fresh mango is my idea of picnic heaven & cheap too. The bakery there has come guava tarts to die for

Trunk Bay has a snack bar. Cinnamon has food also

Times like this I, or at least my stomach, misses living on St Thomas.

I have not sailed NCL before only P&O and have never had my bag checked on leaving the ship, do they check/scan bags on NCL when you disembark at a port?

Most notably in Australia, New Zealand, and throughout South America, one must go through an agricultural inspection upon arriving at airports [via scan first, by first-hand inspection second if they detect something suspect] and upon disembarking cruise ships--generally by visual inspection of bags carried off--even at the most secondary of ports... Such checks are conducted by local authorities--not by airline or cruise line personnel--and are taken very seriously...

While I don't particularly recall "hands on" inspections in the Caribbean, it seems to me that cruise line admonitions against carrying food off ship are routine there [and in other places--like Asia--that I've visited too]... One invariably needs to walk past local Immigration and Customs authorities and can be stopped for questioning and/or inspection at any time as a condition of entry...

The advice suggested above--to carry only prepackaged and fully sealed foods and drinks off-ship--is sound and quite universal... These forums--for just about every cruise line represented--are replete with related discussion and can be found via Cruise Critic's advanced search feature...

Edited by Xport

When I was on carnival Breeze in May, my husband and I would order sandwiches from room service the night before and keep them in the fridge (we brought sandwich bags with us). We packed the sandwiches in our book bag and walked off the ship without any problems (no one checked our bags). When we wanted to eat we just ate the sandwiches and chips they came with. Not sure how strict NCL is about it...This will be our 1st NCL cruise and I hope that won't be a problem. But if it is, we'll just adjust.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

When I was on carnival Breeze in May, my husband and I would order sandwiches from room service the night before and keep them in the fridge (we brought sandwich bags with us). We packed the sandwiches in our book bag and walked off the ship without any problems (no one checked our bags). When we wanted to eat we just ate the sandwiches and chips they came with. Not sure how strict NCL is about it...This will be our 1st NCL cruise and I hope that won't be a problem. But if it is, we'll just adjust.

Shy not splurge and support the islands economy.

The rules are what they are for a reason.People just don't get the fact that you can spread infestations by even throwing away an apple core or a pit or by chance a piece of lettuce from your sandwich.

The rules have nothing to do with NCL or any cruise line. The rules are made by Customs and Agriculture Depts in the places you are visiting. This is to prevent the spread of disease to plants and/or introduce non-native bugs to their ecosystems.

Not following this is extremely rude and disrespectful. Fines can be imposed.

I personally, more than once, have seen hand inspections in Cozumel and Port Canaveral.

Shy not splurge and support the islands economy.

The rules are what they are for a reason.People just don't get the fact that you can spread infestations by even throwing away an apple core or a pit or by chance a piece of lettuce from your sandwich.

I don't litter...I frown upon it. And we did contribute to the island, we spent money on transportation and shopping. We eat heartily before we get off the ship, so all we need after tons of exploring is just a quick pick me up snack. I don't see it necessary to spend money on the island for food if I just need a snack.

Now I'm confused...are we talking about taking food off the ship, bringing food back on the ship, or littering. I for one don't see anything wrong with taking a sandwich off the ship, it's bread and meat (we don't get lettuce and tomato and condiments). We don't take food back onto the ship either. Maybe other people are not as responsible.

Now I'm confused...are we talking about taking food off the ship, bringing food back on the ship, or littering. I for one don't see anything wrong with taking a sandwich off the ship, it's bread and meat (we don't get lettuce and tomato and condiments). We don't take food back onto the ship either. Maybe other people are not as responsible.

This is there country ,they decide what's good for there ecosystem. You will go and ooohh and aahh over the beauty of the ports you go to but refuse to understand the complete destruction of there flora and fauna that a evasive species can do. In many parts of America the snake head fish is killing all local fish. in Australia mice are breeding at alarming rate because theres no predator naturally in the contenant. up here in the northeast we are loosing trees, no groves of trees from an Asian beatle.the list goes on and on. please don't destroy the beautiful places because you chose not to follow these simple rules. toss a few of those pre packed pb crackers of a snickers bar those are sterilized with in an inch of there lives.

Edited by don24

It's illegal to make a sandwich and take it off of the ship.

I believe if it were that serious no one would be able to go anywhere because people themselves carry germs and bacteria that can be harmful to people on the island and in turn harmful to their environment. Are u not to get off the ship if u have what seems to be a cold because u can infect people at the port? Furthermore, if it were illegal to take food off the ship they would check bags on the way off the ship as opposed to just checking them when u get back on. I'm sure if/when it becomes an issue cruise lines will find a way to regulate it. I had no problem take a sandwich off the ship, I ate my sandwich, kept the bag it was in with me back onto the ship (no harm, no foul). And if the environment is that much in danger, they should preserve it by not allowing us to even come on the island and ooooh and awww at its beauty out of fear that we my trample their grounds and kill their plants and litter their water.

. And if the environment is that much in danger, they should preserve it by not allowing us to even come on the island and ooooh and awww at its beauty out of fear that we my trample their grounds and kill their plants and litter their water.

what the heck are you doing on these island that your trampling ground, killing plants and littering there waters.

Edited by don24

NCL must be under the impression that folks can read and follow directions. Every cruise I have been on has not only put this information in the dailys, but there is a large sign when you disembark, as well. Just because you don't get caught shoplifting doesn't mean its not stealing! One of my kids is celiac, so i make sure to always have prepackaged gluten free snacks for her - would be nice to grab some cheese, cold cuts and fruit from the buffet, but that can't be taken off the ship.

I believe if it were that serious no one would be able to go anywhere because people themselves carry germs and bacteria that can be harmful to people on the island and in turn harmful to their environment. Are u not to get off the ship if u have what seems to be a cold because u can infect people at the port? Furthermore, if it were illegal to take food off the ship they would check bags on the way off the ship as opposed to just checking them when u get back on. I'm sure if/when it becomes an issue cruise lines will find a way to regulate it. I had no problem take a sandwich off the ship, I ate my sandwich, kept the bag it was in with me back onto the ship (no harm, no foul). And if the environment is that much in danger, they should preserve it by not allowing us to even come on the island and ooooh and awww at its beauty out of fear that we my trample their grounds and kill their plants and litter their water.

I realize I'm preaching to deaf ears.

On every one of the dozen or so cruises I've been on, the powers that be talk about the illegality of taking food off the ship in foreign ports.

You can talk the talk to justify it to yourself. Just to yourself. We know better.

(No harm, no foul) is just not the case. What your doing is breaking the law in the country you take food off the ship into.

Now you know better too.

Harvey

I choose not to get my information from people who cannot be bothered to type "you" - "u" is not a word.