Picnic Lunch on the Getaway?

CricketCruiser

I always bring sandwich bags and pack a few things, Never fruit or meats. I pack a muffin or a croissant or cookies which travel well. If asked if I have food I always tell the truth and am always told "that's ok" to the things I've mentioned.

OK, we recognize the one poster that is one who goes to great lengths to explain why they are different. Amazing!

It is clearly posted both at the exit from the ship and in the dailies to not take food ashore. It does not benefit the cruise line at all, they are simply trying to keep you legal.

Last cruise (December) at Cozumel the pier was blocked by local authorities and every bag, backpack and children's bags were searched before you could exit the pier. You could either destroy the food right there, or go back to the ship. The few that refused were returned to the ship under protest.

what the heck are you doing on these island that your trampling ground, killing plants and littering there waters.

Just being extreme like the post I was responding to, LOL!!! By trampling, I mean walking around; by killing plants, I mean touring forests (maybe a rainforest tour) and possible littering or walking on plants; and by littering their waters, I mean littering on beaches. Again, just being extreme, I don't think this is what is being done.

OK, we recognize the one poster that is one who goes to great lengths to explain why they are different. Amazing!

It is clearly posted both at the exit from the ship and in the dailies to not take food ashore. It does not benefit the cruise line at all, they are simply trying to keep you legal.

Last cruise (December) at Cozumel the pier was blocked by local authorities and every bag, backpack and children's bags were searched before you could exit the pier. You could either destroy the food right there, or go back to the ship. The few that refused were returned to the ship under protest.

I didn't recall seeing anything in our "dailies" about it, again we were on Carnival. I did just check the Fun Times and did not see anything about taking food off the ship; there were lots of tips and suggestions on how to avoid bug bites but nothing about taking food off the ship. There was mention of not bringing food onto the ship. I am the type who follows rules if at all possible, however, there was no mention of this in the Fun Times and I don't recall seeing any signs when we ported; not saying they aren't there, maybe I was so excited looking around that I may have missed it. If we were approached about it I would have obliged and the food would have been destroyed.

I didn't recall seeing anything in our "dailies" about it, again we were on Carnival. I did just check the Fun Times and did not see anything about taking food off the ship; there were lots of tips and suggestions on how to avoid bug bites but nothing about taking food off the ship. There was mention of not bringing food onto the ship. I am the type who follows rules if at all possible, however, there was no mention of this in the Fun Times and I don't recall seeing any signs when we ported; not saying they aren't there, maybe I was so excited looking around that I may have missed it. If we were approached about it I would have obliged and the food would have been destroyed.

I don't know what Carnival does, don't cruise with them. I do know that on our last six cruises with NCL there has been notices within the dailies and at the exit ramp leaving the ship. If you plan to eat locally while ashore it will be a non issue. Enjoy!

Now I'm confused...are we talking about taking food off the ship, bringing food back on the ship, or littering. I for one don't see anything wrong with taking a sandwich off the ship, it's bread and meat (we don't get lettuce and tomato and condiments). We don't take food back onto the ship either. Maybe other people are not as responsible.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

What's wrong with it is that it is against the law. Whether you see a reason for it or not.

It's on the Carnival Fun Times, there are signs when you exit the ship, they mention it at the shore talks, and I've heard it announced over the loud speaker.

I guess this threads gotten a little life of its own. all we are saying is its such an easy thing to not take non prepackaged food on shore. really all it takes is two or three microscopic fruit fly eggs or other form of critter and they could do major damage. if anyone was offended by any of my comments I am sorry no disrespect was meant. its just we only have one world and if we do some simple things we can enjoy it our grand children and there grand children can also. my reasoning is I would rather do something that may not be needed than be the one who accidently destroys an ecosystem.

Hi all i work in a business that imports flowers, plants seeds into the country (Canada) and work very closely with Argiculture Canada and USA.

Your flowers, fruit, seeds, meat, animals and vegetables and wood are inspected before entering. It is important for our native plants, all of them but ones we rely on. Think you food on your table or in your frig.

Think Mad Cow, Utah beetle, zebra mussels, Japenees beetles and other how did they enter both countries? There is a reason why these things happen..

You cross the USA and Canadian borders you will be asked if you have any food or plants. Does your animal have it rabies shot?

there is a really good reason why they ask you not to bring food into thier countries . It is all protecting thier food cycle, native plants, animals thier economy. You may think a simple apple is harmless but it what you don't see that is the danger.

This is pure entertainment for me...making my work day go by much faster. And my first CC head to head battle...it was fun, lol!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

So, you admit this is all just a big joke and you are being a jerk for self entertainment?

Edited by Beaver1975

This discussion is helpful for everyone. Some readers may not have knowledge about such laws. Many points are valid and insightful. I've learned some things today. Thank you.

I feel fortunate to be able to visit other countries and/or places. If I go to their countries, I feel I should respect and observe their laws whether I may or may not understand them. These are not my laws, but theirs; as it is not my country, it is theirs. If I do not like their laws, and for some countries, I do not, I stay home. But if I decide to go visit, I respect their laws.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On my Jade cruise I watched a woman on our Granada excursion pull an apple from her bag, (she had to have brought it from the ship since we hadn't made any stops where food could be purchased) ate it, and then threw core on the ground. It boiled my blood after hearing and reading all the announcements to not take any fruit or dairy off the ship. I was 24 at the time and she was in her 60s. If the world ends in my lifetime, I'm going on the record in blaming her. But seriously people, follow the rules.

We will definitely enjoy some local food, it's not a problem. I usually have to carry a snack in my purse due to some health issues, I'll make sure it's packaged. It just seems to me that about 11 years ago when we were on the Zenith they offered to pack a picnic for you, but I can't remember the circumstances. It was just a thought for St. John, it's been 9 years since we were there and I don't remember bumping into any restaurants. We went to Trunk Bay, we didn't see any vendors, food, chairs, etc., so I wanted to be more prepared this time. I like the idea of going to a deli and getting some sandwiches, thanks for the tip :)

Edited by CricketCruiser

We will definitely enjoy some local food, it's not a problem. I usually have to carry a snack in my purse due to some health issues, I'll make sure it's packaged. It just seems to me that about 11 years ago when we were on the Zenith they offered to pack a picnic for you, but I can't remember the circumstances. It was just a thought for St. John, it's been 9 years since we were there and I don't remember bumping into any restaurants. We went to Trunk Bay, we didn't see any vendors, food, chairs, etc., so I wanted to be more prepared this time. I like the idea of going to a deli and getting some sandwiches, thanks for the tip :)

We did an excursion in Cozumel many years back while sailing with Princess. We did get a bag lunch as part of t, but it had actually been packed at the port and then delivered to the busses.

Hi, there is a GREAT place at Mongoose Junction on your way out of Cruz Bay headed to the North Shore road which brings you to where the closest and beautiful beaches are. It is called Deli Grotto, you will see it on the R-hand side across from the National Park building. They have YUMMY sandwiches, salads, soups and to die for pastries, especially the coconut chocolate bars!!!! Enjoy St John, it is our fave island ... so far!

-Kathy

Great, so because people can't follow rules everyone has be inconvenienced. I don't give a darn if you agree with the rules or not. They are the rules for EVERYONE!!! Anyone who argues with that is a horses ass.

Edited by footballbabe3

All rules aside....I would never put perishable food in the cabin fridge overnight and then eat it!...they are not cold enough to not allow bacteria to grow.....I can imagine passengers doing this,getting food poisoning and blaming the ship for not being clean thinking they have noro!....

All rules aside....I would never put perishable food in the cabin fridge overnight and then eat it!...they are not cold enough to not allow bacteria to grow.....I can imagine passengers doing this,getting food poisoning and blaming the ship for not being clean thinking they have noro!....

You are so right!!