New to Holland America? This is for you...AKA "HAL For Dummies"

Host Walt

I apologize if this has been asked before. My wife and I have been sailing on Carnival for quite a while and now as we are getting older we find we are less tolerant of the kids running amok. I was wondering if there what the kid level is like on HAL?

I apologize if this has been asked before. My wife and I have been sailing on Carnival for quite a while and now as we are getting older we find we are less tolerant of the kids running amok. I was wondering if there what the kid level is like on HAL?

It depends upon when you are sailing. If it is spring break or summer holidays there will be some children, but certainly not the volume that you see on Carnival.

And most of them will be in Club HAL.

Generally speaking, there are few children on HAL and generally speaking, they do not run amok. ;)

If kids are doing the Club HAL experience, which is for pre teens to teens age group they are looked after by staff and you will not be bothered by them. The kids do use the Lido pool area which can get noisy, the Sea View pool is for adults only. There will be more kids on holiday cruises & short one week cruises. Welcome & enjoy.

Allan

Would someone comment on the balcony doors on Nieuw Amsterdam....regular swing door or sliding patio type. Also in v category can connecting cabin dividers be opened and still allow opening of cabin door, (have heard balcony at 42 sq Ft too narrow for opening cabin door if divider opened) thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Is it possible to check your cruise history on hollandamerica.com? Have a debate as to we've done 4 or 5 cruises on hal.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes. When you log in you will see a link to "My Mariner Status" on the left-hand side. Click on that and your past sailings will come up.

Would someone comment on the balcony doors on Nieuw Amsterdam....regular swing door or sliding patio type. Also in v category can connecting cabin dividers be opened and still allow opening of cabin door, (have heard balcony at 42 sq Ft too narrow for opening cabin door if divider opened) thanks

They are the usual swing doors. I don't about V category but I believe that the dividers can be opened on all balconies without interfering with the door.

They are the usual swing doors. I don't about V category but I believe that the dividers can be opened on all balconies without interfering with the door.

Oops sorry. I didn't see your post Kathywin. Lizzie is correct; it's the swing doors. The V category dividers can be opened with no interference to the doors. The entire divider doesn't open; just the front half. It folds back against itself and is locked in place.

Oops sorry. I didn't see your post Kathywin. Lizzie is correct; it's the swing doors. The V category dividers can be opened with no interference to the doors. The entire divider doesn't open; just the front half. It folds back against itself and is locked in place.

No problem, appreciate the reinforcement of info. Looking forward to a new experience on NA. Thank you.

Where do you fax or email your stock certificate to Holland America?

http://www.carnivalcorp.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=140690&p=irol-sharebenefit

You fax it to 206-270-6080 per the above. Include your legal name, reservation #, ship, and sailing date (I just included a cover memo with that info when I did this last September).

While I did forget the key pad on our cruise, many of our previous cruises on HAL necessitated the use of a magnetic stripe card for the safe, I believe especially on the smaller class ships. I always used my Costco or local store card. As an aside, on our NA trip this year I used that same card for the light switch! We just raised it a little when we left to turn out the lights, and pushed it down when we returned.

Did this defeat the purpose of locking things in the safe. Traveled with a friend and we find this method very frustrating as if one locked it the other couldn't unlock it. HAL had ridiculous solution. Leave the card in the cabin. Get a join credit card, shopping card to use. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

How accurate are these informational posts in this sticky from 2014? Is it time for an update from 4 years ago or do these still apply?

Booking our first cruise on HAL and was wondering the same thing as it pertained to bringing water, soda and wine onboard.

Booking our first cruise on HAL and was wondering the same thing as it pertained to bringing water, soda and wine onboard.

Water and soda no charge in carry-on. One free bottle of wine per passenger; in-room only. All others are $18.00 corkage. If you bring your free wine to the MDR or other venue then the $18.00 corkage fee applies.

Was wondering about beverages bought in ports. If I understand correctly, wine bought in a port has $18 corkage, if even no wine was brought on at embarkation. Is that correct? Or is it one bottle per person for the cruise? Also, what about water or soda purchased at ports along the way and brought onboard.

Was wondering about beverages bought in ports. If I understand correctly, wine bought in a port has $18 corkage, if even no wine was brought on at embarkation. Is that correct? Or is it one bottle per person for the cruise? Also, what about water or soda purchased at ports along the way and brought onboard.

You understand correctly. It's $18 corkage for bringing wine on in any port whether you bring wine on at embarkation or not. Corkage free at embarkation is one bottle per person age 21 and over. You can bring on more than the alloted free bottle at embarkation, but you will be charged a corkage fee for the excess.

You can bring water, soda, non alcoholic drinks on in any port as well as embarkation.

Just wondering about "formal" dress and could not review all 149 pages of the thread to find something current. Have been on Oceania and NCL and no formal nights. Recently a friend took a Christmas cruise on Hal and said that no one really dressed up on formal nights, very few ties and many men without jackets (in main dining room). We are taking an Alaskan cruise in May and just wondering was their experience more the norm now?

Thanks for any help for packing.

Mary Ann

Just wondering about "formal" dress and could not review all 149 pages of the thread to find something current. Have been on Oceania and NCL and no formal nights. Recently a friend took a Christmas cruise on Hal and said that no one really dressed up on formal nights, very few ties and many men without jackets (in main dining room). We are taking an Alaskan cruise in May and just wondering was their experience more the norm now?

Thanks for any help for packing.

Mary Ann

HAL now calls them Gala nights. As long as you have nice pants and a collared shirt, you are fine. Saying this because of your comment on men's dress. Women don't have to wear pants of course ;).

Basically "nice clothes" and no jeans. Now depending on the cruise, you will see people with suits, sports jackets, etc. But it's not required and you will be fine.

How 'dressed up" everyone is depends on the itinerary, demographics of people on board, etc.

Wear what makes you feel good. If you prefer to be less, fine and if you like to dress up, fine too. Either way you will good. Do what's right for you.

The "Know Before You Go" on the HAL site has the "minimum" dress code. It's pretty effotless IMO.

Thanks for the information. One last question, for the Pinnacle grill would a jacket for guys be required?

Jacket is never required onboard anywhere. Some people just prefer to wear them but not required. If the DW didn’t make me dress for formal night I wouldn’t wear one then either. I would not be out of place.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums