Waters on a RT from Seattle

feedmytummy

Hi, everyone... We're going on a RT Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. Our itinerary takes us to Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria BC. It doesn't look like we venture too far out in the open seas from what I can tell on the map (but what do I know?). Anyway, just curious how rough the water gets? I know anything can happen, but I'm trying to get a general consensus of people's past experience. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Generally you can expect the roughest sea during your time in the waters just above Vancouver Island. We have been in hurricane force winds and 60 foot seas cruising those waters but that is rare. It will be the only day you may feel anything most likely.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

We've done two r/t from Seattle (on Infinity) and we had pretty calm seas the entire time. According to someone we met who was doing a back-to-back, the week before was very rough that first night.

You just never know what you're gonna' get. Like a box of chocolates.;)

We are soon coming up on our 10th RT to Alaska from Seattle. We've had very smooth sailing most of the time, although when you are in open water you feel the movement but nothing violent at all.

Last September was the worst we've ever had, with 60mph gale force winds and 20-25 foot swells. None in our group of 4 got sick, but I know that some people did.

The worst part was that we missed the stop in Ketchikan because the Coast Guard wouldn't allow any ship into the narrow straits that you have to go through to get to Ketchikan. I felt so bad for the folks who'd never been there, and for the merchants that missed out on 10 ships worth of business!!

But safety first, and while it was disappointing for many, I'm sure no one was disappointed that they made it back home safely!

You don't have to be very far out to sea to encounter rough seas. There is no predicting...you get what is happening at the moment, just like the weather. That said, we were on the Pearl out of Seattle a month ago and the seas were pretty good.

Round trip Seattle routes have the roughest sailing potential. They also sail miles aways from land, first and last sailing days. So also the least scenic.

There is NO point in claiming "smooth sailing" in past reports, that has nothing to do with the future. :) I sailed round trip Seattle three consecutive weeks, with 4 of the 6 sea days (between Seattle/Ketchikan) having noticeable movement, complaining passengers. You are on water- you can expect movement. And no way to predict how much, until you are there.

It was very rough and cold our first sea day out of Seattle, and a lot of people were getting sick. Taking pills or using a patch, sea-bands,etc seem to help. Also going outside, eating green apples, eating ginger snaps or candy can all help.

I have only done one RT from SEA and the seas were rough. Our itinerary on the Oosterdam took us all the way to Juneau as a first port and we stayed a good distance from land. It may make a different if your first port is Ketchikan?

I will tell you though the roughest seas on that trip were between Hubbard Glacier and Sitka. I got sick that day and it is the first time for me - ever.

So, you need to be prepared for rough seas and hope for smooth seas :)

Hmmm.... Well, I guess we will just have to wait and see. Going with some first-time cruisers (who also get motion sickness), so I was hoping to be able to calm their fears. I suppose I can give them a worst-case scenario and hope for the best. That way at least they're warned and, if we happen to have smooth sailing, then it'll be a pleasant surprise. Thanks for the input, everybody.

We did RT from Seattle last week. The first night was the worst. But then again anytime I feel any sort of movement I start to panic :o. However I heard several people and staff the next day comment on the rocking. I did not get sick but my dd (12) was feeling pretty bad around 7:00 pm. I gave her my seabands and she stated they seemed to help. I noticed at breakfast the next day it was still pretty choppy. The waiter closed the curtains which made it worse. Once I sat by the window I was fine (as long as I could see outside).

Funny though - they kept the pool open and the water was sloshing all over the place. My dd stated it felt like she was swimming in the ocean!

I don't think i get sea sick??, not quite sure. I do know one way i get sick is rides that have a film or 3-d film with it, i wonder if its the same feeling??. Now roller coasters, flying i am fine with,LOL I know. My wife not sure, her parents have did a Alaska cruise so i think they will be OK. I just want to prep all i can

Hi, everyone... We're going on a RT Alaskan cruise out of Seattle. Our itinerary takes us to Tracy Arm Fjord, Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, and Victoria BC. It doesn't look like we venture too far out in the open seas from what I can tell on the map (but what do I know?). Anyway, just curious how rough the water gets? I know anything can happen, but I'm trying to get a general consensus of people's past experience. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!
People's past experiences will have no bearing on what the waters will be like the days you are there.

It is like rolling dice.

We have done that itinerary a number of times, and even our own past experiences are no predictor of what we will encounter the next time.

As others have stated, be prepared for all possibilities from very smooth to very rough and anything in between.

We only choose a cruise that takes that route when we are able to get a greatly discounted price that is too good to pass up.

If it is of concern, you may want to consider changing to a round trip out of Vancouver that sails in the calm, protected waters of the Inside Passage instead.

That would also give you two additional days of scenic viewing instead of spending those two days at sea looking out at the ocean.

If prone to seasickness, the general advice is to choose a cabin that is low and in the center or the ship, where you feel the least motion.

Edited by varoo