HAPPY! Upgrade fairy came by!

from holland

I'm very happy! The upgrade fairy came by today for my Nieuw Amsterdam sailing on August 28th. Booked a guarantee H and got D1014 on main deck. I think it's a good location, can anyone comment on this stateroom?

Thank you for any comments!

I'm very happy! The upgrade fairy came by today for my Nieuw Amsterdam sailing on August 28th. Booked a guarantee H and got D1014 on main deck. I think it's a good location, can anyone comment on this stateroom?

Thank you for any comments!

Congrats, enjoy your cruise!

That's wonderful for you, congratulations. We were offered upsells today from a Verandah VE to a Signature Suite or a Neptune Suite, but the offers were way too high for our pocketbook. Like DH said, "We have a balcony already." I wish they'd come back with a lower offer; does this ever happen?

Mrs M

That's wonderful for you, congratulations. We were offered upsells today from a Verandah VE to a Signature Suite or a Neptune Suite, but the offers were way too high for our pocketbook. Like DH said, "We have a balcony already." I wish they'd come back with a lower offer; does this ever happen?

Mrs M

It does happen but don't expect much. I took an upsell on the third go around on my last cruise. I'm telling you it was still stupid expensive and on that ship it so wasn't worth it.

In my experience HAL is particularly stingy on free upgrades, even to 4-star Mariners, who are single travelers, despite the fact that they might have paid as much as a 200% single supplement. Sure, lots of times I've been upgraded from a booked inside to a better inside location but only once was I given a freebie upgrade from an inside to an outside, that on the Prinsendam. from an M to a C. And in that case I didn't get my cabin assignment until I was actually checking in at the pier.

A bit off-topic, but another nice experience, also on Prinsendam, was when on the first night out my inside cabin flooded with water while at dinner. I was given a verandah cabin just for the night, but the next morning told to keep it for the balance of the cruise (which was 13 more nights).

Edited by Dave in NJ

I am happy for you too.

I was in an "SS" cabin and was waiting for my travel agent to call me about an upgrade to a "SC" or "SB" or "SA" Neptune Suite but got very nervous about it.

So two weeks ago I bit the bullet and bought an upgrade to the "SC" category and a specific cabin number for $ 1700 including the insurance.

So I am now on the Verandah deck in a 6000 "SC" cabin (I don't remember which one).

I am sure glad I did because the ship completely sold out of suites. As of yesterday when I talked to my "TA" to see if I would be moved up to a "SB" or "SC" free of charge, she told me that the HAL spokesman she spoke to told me the voyage is completely booked in Suites and is sold-out.

She has only gotten two offers for me: one to upgrade to Pinnacle for $ 2,700 each person; and another to upgrade to Pinnacle for $ 2,400 a person.

We refused those.

She said it "might" happen that closer to next Thursday, the departure date, there may be a cabin change but for now I have that specific 6000 "SC" Cabin (there are only 6 of them on Deck 6) but I might end up in an "SB" or "SA" on Deck 7. Actually the "SC" cabin I have is not far from the elevators up one deck to the Neptune Lounge so I don't think it is a great inconvenience.

She said that even after 7 days out, people can still be moved around despite the fact that "HAL" says the ship is completely sold out of suites.

I am happy for you too.

I was in an "SS" cabin and was waiting for my travel agent to call me about an upgrade to a "SC" or "SB" or "SA" Neptune Suite but got very nervous about it.

So two weeks ago I bit the bullet and bought an upgrade to the "SC" category and a specific cabin number for $ 1700 including the insurance.

So I am now on the Verandah deck in a 6000 "SC" cabin (I don't remember which one).

I am sure glad I did because the ship completely sold out of suites. As of yesterday when I talked to my "TA" to see if I would be moved up to a "SB" or "SC" free of charge, she told me that the HAL spokesman she spoke to told me the voyage is completely booked in Suites and is sold-out.

She has only gotten two offers for me: one to upgrade to Pinnacle for $ 2,700 each person; and another to upgrade to Pinnacle for $ 2,400 a person.

We refused those.

She said it "might" happen that closer to next Thursday, the departure date, there may be a cabin change but for now I have that specific 6000 "SC" Cabin (there are only 6 of them on Deck 6) but I might end up in an "SB" or "SA" on Deck 7. Actually the "SC" cabin I have is not far from the elevators up one deck to the Neptune Lounge so I don't think it is a great inconvenience.

She said that even after 7 days out, people can still be moved around despite the fact that "HAL" says the ship is completely sold out of suites.

Ha! That means I can still wait for another nice upgrade :) but I'm really happy with my cabin right now so we'll see! I hope the upgrade fairy will find you still!!