Sunshine or RCCL Freedom Of The Seas

Dalton51

We have been looking at a Christmas Cruises sense we have gotten back from our Cruise on the Breeze two weeks ago( BLAST). We are usually Carnival Cruisers and we have loved every cruise we have taken with them. We have been on Breeze, Valor, Freedom and Liberty.

We don't really wanna go on the same ships we like to change it up some. So we have looked at a lot of cruises. Its came down to the Sunshine or Freedom With RCCL? Which one is a better pick.

Sunshine goes to GT, SJU, ST.M and ST.T 8 Nights

Freedom goes to Haiti SJU, and ST.M 7 Nights

The Freedom is about 275 more total.

What are yall thoughts thanks.

I have been on several Carnival cruises including the Breeze and a few Royal Caribbean. My last cruise was on the RCI Independence of the Sea (sister ship to Freedom). I absolutely loved this ship and would sail again in a heartbeat - my favorite ship to date. Loved the layout (promenade), kids areas, ice show and our cabin. Large ship but never felt crowed. I loved Haiti as a port of call.

I think it depends on your family dynamic and whether or not you are sailing for the ship or the itinerary. My family consists of myself, husband and a 10 year old daughter. I find RCI expensive compared to Carnival and to justify the extra cost I have to really like both the itinerary and the ship.

Coincidentally, I am sailing on the Sunshine this Saturday on an 8 day to Aruba and Curacao. I'll let you know my thoughts when I return. This cruise is all about the itinerary for me.

I'd go with the Freedom of the Seas. IMHO, the majority of the cruise is spent on the ship, so I'm always more ship driven than port driven (unless it's a truly unique itinerary).

Based on what you wrote, it seems like you're a bit "Carnivaled" out when you're considering other cruise lines. It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with Carnival or that you'll never sail on them again, but you're ready for something new. In my opinion, that's the smart thing to do, instead of going for the cheapest price to repeat the same experience over and over again.

YES, 8 nights is better than 7. But IMHO, 7 nights in a bigger (50% bigger), more amenity filled and beautiful ship is better than 8 nights in a smaller ship that's not as nice. From the moment you walk into the Royal Promenade on the Freedom of the Seas, you'll know that the cruise will be like nothing that you have experienced on Carnival.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

From the moment you walk into the Royal Promenade on the Freedom of the Seas, you'll know that the cruise will be like nothing that you have experienced on Carnival.

I agree. But she'll have to suffer through them 7 days before she can come back to Carnival. Save the $, go with the Sunshine. You will not be disappointed.

I agree. But she'll have to suffer through them 7 days before she can come back to Carnival. Save the $, go with the Sunshine. You will not be disappointed.

You've never sailed Royal Caribbean and you criticize me for sharing my opinion about Carnival...? How can you say a statement like that without even sailing on Royal, especially when comparing the Freedom of the Seas to the Carnival Sunshine?

Edited by Disconnections

You've never sailed Royal Caribbean and you criticize me for sharing my opinion about Carnival...? How can you say a statement like that without even sailing on Royal, especially when comparing the Freedom of the Seas to the Carnival Sunshine?

As usual your wrong. Voyager of the Seas, 2011 of of New Orleans. Didn't care for it. But it's ok, most of your post come from the wrong end.

2 years ago on our last cruise we booked Independence of the Seas but switched to the Breeze as it was around the same money, but the Breeze was 1 day longer. We took the Breeze and loved it.

We have had 3 Carnival cruises with no issues (1 on Destiny) and debated booking another Carnival last year but decided to give Royal a try. We booked a 7 night on Freedom of the Seas, which would have run about $400 more than a Carnival cruise but wanted to see if the money was worth it. As it turns out my old company was gutting salary and I was a victim, so we delayed the cruise until a year later (with no penalty which I love Royal for..!) and were lucky enough to save $1,000 over the course of the last 12 months so we are essentially paying $2,300 including tips for our 7 nighter!

This will be a good judge for us to see the difference as we are not overly difficult to please..

Having sailed on the Sunshine and both Freedom's sister ships, my vote will go to Freedom. Like Tapi said, you want to look over the horizon, and you will find a whole new level of cruising if you go with the Freedom.

Besides that reports are that during peak travel season Sunshine will transform in one very crowded ship..

Another vote for the Freedom. I was on the Sunshine for her Transatlantic from Barcelona to New Orleans. I found it very crowded, and it wasn't even filled to capacity. I can only imagine how crowded it will be during school holidays. It's very obviously an older ship renovated into a "new" ship. I recently sailed on the Independence of the Seas, which is a sister ship to the Freedom, and it's a whole different world. I would gladly pay $275 more for one less day on the Freedom. I like Carnival and have sailed with them many times, but the Sunshine is my least favorite Carnival ship to date.

I have been on several Carnival cruises including the Breeze and a few Royal Caribbean. My last cruise was on the RCI Independence of the Sea (sister ship to Freedom). I absolutely loved this ship and would sail again in a heartbeat - my favorite ship to date. Loved the layout (promenade), kids areas, ice show and our cabin. Large ship but never felt crowed. I loved Haiti as a port of call.

I think it depends on your family dynamic and whether or not you are sailing for the ship or the itinerary. My family consists of myself, husband and a 10 year old daughter. I find RCI expensive compared to Carnival and to justify the extra cost I have to really like both the itinerary and the ship.

Coincidentally, I am sailing on the Sunshine this Saturday on an 8 day to Aruba and Curacao. I'll let you know my thoughts when I return. This cruise is all about the itinerary for me.

Well, I have a cruise booked on Freedom of the Seas for April 19, 2015. We booked a Family Promenade Stateroom for the 5 of us. Mind you, this cabin is also about 300 sq ft or so. When we originally booked, the price was going to be $3600. The Carnival Sunshine's closest comparable cruise was about $2600 at the time. RCI currently has their WOW sale going, and combined with another discount that is currently available, our cabin is now down to $2938. Right now, the similar Sunshine cruise would be $2732 for an INSIDE cabin on an ES rate or $2982 for an oceanview ES rate. Mind you, these for the run of the mill 185 sq ft standard cabins. Obviously, the number of guests will affect the bottom line, but RCI right now is having a 3rd/4th/5th pax sail free (pay only port fees/taxes for them) for various sailings. It just might be worth double checking NOW what RCI's prices are with the WOW sale and kids sail free promo - it may just be lower than Carnival or a reasonable amount higher than Carny.

Have not sailed the Sunshine, but have sailed the Liberty which is Freedom's sister. RCCL Freedom class is awesome. The Sunshine would have to be pretty impressive to top it, otherwise ain't no Sunshine when Freedom's home :rolleyes:

Go rccl to change it up if carnivaled out. I did 6 cruises with rccl before doing our last 2 with carnival, because we wanted a change, nothing rccl did.

I sailed both rccl freedom and sunshine on Aug 2 sailing. Freedom has been our favorite ship in all our cruises. It is impressive. Entertainment is great, loved the ice show, loved the variety and amenities. Always a good consistent experience.

Like carnival for value and laid back feel. More my style. The food is very good especially blue iguana and guys. Water slides neat. I don't feel it's grossly overcrowded, except comedy club, just laid out odd imo.

I truly can't say a bad thing of either. It's a cruise, you won't go wrong with either.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Forums mobile app

I have sailed on both. This one isn't even freakn' close in my opnion. I whole heartedly recommend Freedom of the Seas. I'm hard pressed to think of anything that is better on Sunshine.

Like Tapi said, the second you step aboard and see that ship in person, you'll know you made the right choice. She is unlike anything Carnival has to offer. The entertainmnet is far better than on Carnival ships, especially the ice show. Freedom still has a live calypso band on the lido deck as well.

Plus, Labadee is heaven on Earth. It's my favorite of all the cruise lines' private destinations. Be sure to ride the Dragon's Breath roller coaster. :)

Edited by Cruzaholic41

As usual your wrong. Voyager of the Seas, 2011 of of New Orleans. Didn't care for it. But it's ok, most of your post come from the wrong end.

When in 2011? I did a B2B on VOS in 2011 and I'm curious if you were on one of the same cruises. :confused:

I'd go with the Freedom of the Seas. IMHO, the majority of the cruise is spent on the ship, so I'm always more ship driven than port driven (unless it's a truly unique itinerary).

Based on what you wrote, it seems like you're a bit "Carnivaled" out when you're considering other cruise lines. It doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with Carnival or that you'll never sail on them again, but you're ready for something new. In my opinion, that's the smart thing to do, instead of going for the cheapest price to repeat the same experience over and over again.

YES, 8 nights is better than 7. But IMHO, 7 nights in a bigger (50% bigger), more amenity filled and beautiful ship is better than 8 nights in a smaller ship that's not as nice. From the moment you walk into the Royal Promenade on the Freedom of the Seas, you'll know that the cruise will be like nothing that you have experienced on Carnival.

I have to disagree on this one...

I went on Independence(sister shop to Freedom) and it was by far my least favorite cruise. It was bigger, but it was very poorly laid out, and as far as the amenities I think Carnival is much more geared towards kids than RC. I agree that it will be nothing like you have experience on Carnival, because it will be boring. RC cruisers seem to have an air about them, just because you paid more for a cruise does not make it better...Also the ship basically shuts down at 9. There is no nightlife to speak of, and the Adults Solarium is so terribly laid out, there is hardly any chairs, and those that are there, are not in the sun! I agree with everyone who says that: You have a longer cruise, less money, and I guarantee you will have a better time on Carnival...

Freedom of The Seas has amenities and features no Carnival ship can even touch. It has a great "wow" factor. Ice skating, rock wall climbing, miniature golf, ice shows, DreamWorks character parades, full production shows with a live orchestra etc. We did a B2B on her last year and it was one of our most memorable trips.