Onboard "nickel and diming" to avoid?

asmith19

I noticed lots of experienced Celebrity cruisers talking about unexpected charges or getting "nickel and dimed" on things. Would you please share things to watch out for? Conversely, would you share the surcees that people might not know about?

I'm sailing the Celebrity Reflection in January 2015, CC, so any specifics related to that ship/ Caribbean itinerary are especially helpful.

As always, I really appreciate everyone's information and advice!

We sail on Celebrity once and often twice a year and we have never felt nickeled or dimed. There is much that is included in the price of the cruise and other things we are asked to pay for. Somethings we are willing to pay extra for, others not so much. We look up on it as our opportunity to choose those things that are of interest to us and let go of the rest. We believe Celebrity offers the best cruise value on the market and been sailing with them for several years.

Edited by Chicago Boy

I'm wondering if the "nickle and diming" the OP read about was the increases in charges for Sp restaurants, Bistro on 5 and the charges for something that previously was free, like Zumba.

Good example - why is Zumba an upcharge? We are new to Celebrity, having sailed mostly on HAL and one thing I do get very tired of is the photographers. I hope that's lessened on Celebrity.

Zumba was started on X as an activity run by the X staff,free, but now is handled by the Canyon Ranch spa staff for a fee. Thus some people think of it as an up charge.

Same with the photography staff. They are a franchise on X, not X staff. While you will be asked to stop for a pose, we do not think they are too pushy. A polite no thank you is all that is needed.

We are of the mind that we want the items available to us letting us pick what we would like to spend money on. X is good about having a good selection. That's why we coming back.

I really never understand why people say they were "nickled and dimed". Some folks can cruise with just paying their cruise fare, taxes, port charges and gratuites. They eat only in the MDR, drink only those free beverages, attend only those free activites, workout in the gym, etc. It is each individuals choice whether they will pay for anything on the ship, no one is "nickle and diming" them; again, it is their choice to have dinner in a specialty restaurant, cocktails, spa treatments, play bingo, purchase photos, etc.

Decide before you leave how much you want to spend on "extras" and most of all, have a great cruise.

Exactly my sentiments. If you don't want to spend money don't. After the cruise is done don't complain about Nickles and dimes because you were the one that decided to spend.:)

I think they need to watch that. I was on the Equinox and while I have no status to be bothered at the Elite event, as a ho hum passenger we were approached many many times. I can understand on embarkation day and maybe the next day, but every day.....several times a day....

that usually means business is slow so it is a great time to ask for a two for one!!:) We have had two for one offers a number of time and to us that makes the specialty restaurant affordable. So when approached that is my question back. " Are you offering us a two for one?"

We don't enjoy paying 90 dollars to dine in Murano, even though it is a great experience. We think the MDR is also a great experience

Edited by maxsales

The 'nickel and dime' references are really more of a reaction to the current business model in effect on Celebrity and most other lines. Many (not all) of us who have cruised for many, many years prefer the days when virtually everything was included in your cruise price (save for things like liquor, gambling, spa). Similarly, virtually every piece of real estate on the ship was also available for your use. Now there are many (and regularly more and more) experiences that are only available if you pay extra, as well as more and more space only open to you if you pay extra.

It is absolutely true that you can have a very enjoyable cruise without adding on any of these extras (ok, most people won't agree with that as far as drinks:)). But many of us who prefer a more inclusive experience think of these pay-for-play additions as 'nickel and diming'.

My point in saying this is not to get off into a discussion of whether this business model is good or bad. That has been discussed to death. I just wanted to explain the perspective of the 'other side' so to speak. But again, no worries, Celebrity still presents a very enjoyable cruise experience.

that usually means business is slow so it is a great time to ask for a two for one!!:) We have had two for one offers a number of time and to us that makes the specialty restaurant affordable. So when approached that is my question back. " Are you offering us a two for one?"

We don't enjoy paying 90 dollars to dine in Murano, even though it is a great experience. We think the MDR is also a great experience

You're right -- sometimes, if you don't ask ... you don't get! ;)

We've also had some success calling the specialty restaurants on embarkation day and on port days -- to see if they had any "unadvertised specials" that night. The only ship that we haven't had much luck on is Century. But, that makes sense, as Murano is their only specialty restaurant -- it tends to stay pretty well booked-up. :cool:

Nickled and Dimed

verb

past tense: nickel-and-dimed; past participle: nickel-and-dimed

put a financial strain on (someone) by charging small amounts for many minor services.

Not seeing where this applies to any pay venues on a cruise ship no matter what line... JMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm wondering if the "nickle and diming" the OP read about was the increases in charges for Sp restaurants, Bistro on 5 and the charges for something that previously was free, like Zumba.

Yes, exactly. Things that may be listed on older posts as great fun that now have a charge are what I meant. I had read a lot of negative posts from experienced X cruisers and began to fear that there were charges everywhere now for things that were previously understood to be normal cruise components.

I've cruised before, so I understand about main dining room, buffet, and much of what freckle's great post listed, and I've read the website (which only recently was updated re: Michael's Club). Hints like the Zumba cost are exactly what I hoped to learn about!

This isn't a negative attitude, but merely questioning why so many posts on the Celebrity pages cite "nickel and diming" or new upcharges. I saw a question about whether washcloths were still provided (serious post!), so I'm just trying to be clear. Thanks, all!

This isn't a negative attitude, but merely questioning why so many posts on the Celebrity pages cite "nickel and diming" or new upcharges.

This is truly odd - I check the Celebrity forum several times per day and I don't recall seeing "so many posts" on this forum. Can you point out a few, please? Remember, "so many posts" indicates a large number, not an occasional post here and there.

Edited by boogs

There are other cruise lines that are certainly more inclusive - virtually all drinks, alcoholic or not, specialty restaurants, tips, even shore excursions (Regent). Others offer some or a few of these (Silversea, Crystal, Seabourn, Oceania etc.) but they offer a totally different cruise experience than Celebrity. The largest of these more inclusive ships carries only about 1200 passengers, and many of them carry less than 500. Of course, the prices can be much higher than Celebrity, especially for a standard balcony cabin. Once you are booking a Jr. Suite or above on Celebrity, and throw in drink packages, tip packages, some shore excursions and using one or more specialty restaurants every few days then the prices are very competitive. Also, many travel agents are able to negotiate better deals on the more inclusive lines, something that is usually not possible any more on Celebrity - that makes the pricing sometimes better than Celebrity, especially if you do like a couple of cocktails before dinner, wine with your meals and good service without having to worry about the tips. Years ago on an otherwise affordable Transatlantic Crossing on Celebrity our bill when we got off the ship was around $1500 - and I'm telling you that my wife and I are not party animals. That's when we started trying out some of the other cruise lines mentioned above. Still, if you want the variety and entertainment that Celebrity offers, along with, how should I say it, a more gracious experience from most of the other mass market cruise lines, than just pay attention to your on board account on your TV, and if you are not sure there is an additional cost, always ask. Good cruising! Jeff

Yes, exactly. Things that may be listed on older posts as great fun that now have a charge are what I meant. I had read a lot of negative posts from experienced X cruisers and began to fear that there were charges everywhere now for things that were previously understood to be normal cruise components.

This isn't a negative attitude, but merely questioning why so many posts on the Celebrity pages cite "nickel and diming" or new upcharges. I saw a question about whether washcloths were still provided (serious post!), so I'm just trying to be clear. Thanks, all!

Less than 1% of the 1,000,000 members on Cruise Critic, and even less of a % of the 20,000 that sail Celebrity every week. Let's be clear, we Americans are becoming know as wanting a lot of things for little to no cost nor effort. Sadly those are the '5/10' comments I fear you reference. There is more given for our cruise $$ now than we experienced on our 1st cruise in 1987.

This is truly odd - I check the Celebrity forum several times per day and I don't recall seeing "so many posts" on this forum. Can you point out a few, please? Remember, "so many posts" indicates a large number, not an occasional post here and there.

More specialty restaurants, Cafe al Bacio costs, charges for workouts, lawn alcove fees (and the associated loss of lawn space), drinks priced just above package limits, and martini flights that are "full charge" even with premium packages have all been cited. Couple this with complaints about the loss of sea day buffets, no more white parties, not seeing certain beloved menu items, less enforcement of chair-saving rules, changes to the Zenith status requirements, loss of or convenient lack of communication of (per the poster) certain CC/ AQ benefits (see the "pillow menu" discussions), etc., and I've seen surprising grousing on the X forums.

I've also seen warnings from posters to "watch out" for "nickel and diming" that has increased (in their opinion) over their years of cruising X. It was those vague complaints that prompted my question.

Less than 1% of the 1,000,000 members on Cruise Critic, and even less of a % of the 20,000 that sail Celebrity every week. Let's be clear, we Americans are becoming know as wanting a lot of things for little to no cost nor effort. Sadly those are the '5/10' comments I fear you reference. There is more given for our cruise $$ now than we experienced on our 1st cruise in 1987.

Well said. I couldn't tell if the posts were due to increasing expectations, declining performance, "good old days" perceptions (I'm old enough to say that!) or just general negativity. I'm looking forward to my cruise (wouldn't have booked it if I wasn't!) and appreciate people like you who take the time to respond kindly and with a positive approach. ;)

Well said. I couldn't tell if the posts were due to increasing expectations, declining performance, "good old days" perceptions (I'm old enough to say that!) or just general negativity. I'm looking forward to my cruise (wouldn't have booked it if I wasn't!) and appreciate people like you who take the time to respond kindly and with a positive approach. ;)

Here is a copy of a comment I posted on another thread, when they asked if they would love or hate Trying Celebrity. In a round about way it rings true for your original query.

Please come back and let us know how your time on Celebrity was, OK?

"We have been sailing Celebrity since 1994 and can say without a doubt you are going to hate it! Don't do it! You will become the outcast at all family holiday gatherings, birthdays, and anniversary's, weddings and even funerals. They will speak your name with contempt because you introduced them to a cruise line that makes them all want to not attend any family functions because they could sail and spend time on a Celebrity ship. If you value your relationship with your family do not introduce them to Celebrity. You may never get to spend any time with them again!"

More specialty restaurants, Cafe al Bacio costs, charges for workouts, lawn alcove fees (and the associated loss of lawn space), drinks priced just above package limits, and martini flights that are "full charge" even with premium packages have all been cited. Couple this with complaints about the loss of sea day buffets, no more white parties, not seeing certain beloved menu items, less enforcement of chair-saving rules, changes to the Zenith status requirements, loss of or convenient lack of communication of (per the poster) certain CC/ AQ benefits (see the "pillow menu" discussions), etc., and I've seen surprising grousing on the X forums.

I've also seen warnings from posters to "watch out" for "nickel and diming" that has increased (in their opinion) over their years of cruising X. It was those vague complaints that prompted my question.

Sorry I'm still not convinced. Just about everything you have described are considered EXTRAS.

The specialty restaurants are additional dinging venues. The usual free venues are still available - so no "nickle and diming" there. The Alcoves don't take away that much of the lawn space, a space many people think is a wasted to begin with.

The cancellation of sea day buffets won't cause anyone to go hungry, or have to pay for food. The food offered there was pretty much the same items you could get in the regular buffet area anyway. Only it was offered in a much more crowded and hectic environment. It was so crowded that many of us stopped going after the novelty of the first time. So, the loss of that marginally enjoyable buffet hasn't caused any to pay for food - so no "nickle and diming" there.

And for as long as I can remember, certain workout classes were always offered for a fee, so nothing has changed there at all. Again, no "nickle and diming" there as well.

The rest of your examples have absolutely nothing to do with "nickle and diming", further eroding your argument.

Edited by boogs

Let's be clear, we Americans are becoming know as wanting a lot of things for little to no cost nor effort.

Wallie if I could add to your sentence.

Let's be clear, we Americans are becoming know as wanting a lot of things for little to no cost nor effort and then complain about how it was not up to our standards.

I really never understand why people say they were "nickled and dimed". Some folks can cruise with just paying their cruise fare, taxes, port charges and gratuites. They eat only in the MDR, drink only those free beverages, attend only those free activites, workout in the gym, etc. It is each individuals choice whether they will pay for anything on the ship, no one is "nickle and diming" them; again, it is their choice to have dinner in a specialty restaurant, cocktails, spa treatments, play bingo, purchase photos, etc.

Decide before you leave how much you want to spend on "extras" and most of all, have a great cruise.

This is us!

I agree you need to decide in advance of what you want to spend. But I do get sick and tired of being ASKED to spend every time you walk into an eating area. That's at least three times a day, every day.

Edited by Pushka

Wallie if I could add to your sentence.

Let's be clear, we Americans are becoming know as wanting a lot of things for little to no cost nor effort and then complain about how it was not up to our standards.

I guess turning 60 this year has changed my take on things. My wife and I have been fortunate to be able to have employment where we could help one kid thru med school, and the other :eek: well she had a great time working on a cruise ship! We are able to still budget for a wonderful vacation that many others still to this day, only dream of. I have been called rude here and on FB because I understand just how fortunate we are, and I call out those that whine over minute things that in the big picture mean nothing.

Ok, I go back to my corner with my knuckles rapped by whom ever:D

I guess turning 60 this year has changed my take on things. My wife and I have been fortunate to be able to have employment where we could help one kid thru med school, and the other :eek: well she had a great time working on a cruise ship! We are able to still budget for a wonderful vacation that many others still to this day, only dream of. I have been called rude here and on FB because I understand just how fortunate we are, and I call out those that whine over minute things that in the big picture mean nothing.

Ok, I go back to my corner with my knuckles rapped by whom ever:D

Hey, I feel the same. I love cruising and if things don't go 100 pecent right, the fact is that I'm still cruising....never had a bad cruise, some just better than others. And I know what you mean, I speak my mind and post my opinions and it seems as though I have a huge target on my back on here sometimes, but hey, as long as we don't take it personally. BTW, I do appreciate your honesty and your humor.