Warning: parents with kids on Regal/Royal please read

xdudex

A warning to any parents travelling on Regal and possibly Royal Princess. I write this from Regal Princess right now.

If you have a younger child suitable of age for the Princess Pelicans 3-7 the manager has decided to close this club every day except for dinner hours 6-10pm. My family have bought four sanctuary beds (including the $200 a day cabana) and now can't use this at a part time leave as we have to do shifts looking after a five year old who's bored and disappointed she can't go in princess pelicans.

What they have done instead is moved all 3-7 aged kids into the next tier up which is shockwaves but the age I think is atleast up to 11. As a result a lot of the younger kids won't go in because of the bigger kids and the facilities are designed for that age group. I.e Nintendo systems, science activities, older kids movies, when kids at that age should be using the slides in Princess Pelicans colouring in and watching kids animation movies. They can't even see the table top arcade games because they're adult sized, the ones in pelicans are obviously child sized.

The manger (who claims this is standard across the fleet) which has never been the case in all my sailings and will not open the club despite having atleast 6 staff on the go at a given time. She even accused us of lying in an astonishing disaster of a customer service episode.

Right now all the kids that would be in Pelicans Are primarily around the Central pool and I have now seen three families arguing because of them having to look after their children on a full time basis.

The Pursers desk won't listen and the manager consistently tells them it's the way she's running it. However the Pelicans room has padded pillars too to stop the young ones bashing their head on posts/corners.....this middle one obviously doesn't and the kids are expected to use an arcade machine with a wooden ball you throw to score points that if they drop would hurt even my for, it's an accident waiting to happen, so is a ten or eleven year old running into a 4/5 year old. I already saw a boy of 3 with his dad run straight into a cornered wall and hit his head.

Last night when I went up there they had turned shockwaves into a disco and expected little kids to go in, it's a farce. It frightens them off.

I worked as a princess reservations agent for 3 years and never had a complaint like this because it's not meant to happen. I even used my contact in the Los Angeles office and they've confirmed my friend had contacted them with her concerns only for them to say they are writing back saying this is how it is! There is no way my colleagues in the corporate office would stand for this, we have three kids clubs on the newest ship in the fleet and enough staff to cover the high demand of what is the kids school summer holidays, if Regal can't manage it, what ship can?

The pursers desk also will not help with the sanctuary we've paid for even though we have to date used it for 45 minutes each and this is day four.

If you have a booking I suggest you consider whether you want to day care you young child all the way up till 6pm as they are absolutely aggressive on this policy. I also heard the staff commenting saying they were glad the kids were out and could close up, they aren't interested and in my opinion have close one club to get more time off.

If anything this demonstrates the problems I had when I worked for princess, the office says you do this, the ship across the other side of the globe decides otherwise. I must reiterate the princess offices understand the ship doesn't care. If you have a booking and don't want this issue I suggest you email princess and demand to know if for your sailing on regal the appropriate club will be open, if they says yes and it isn't you can get due compensation. This has wrecked our cruise unfortunately...according to the manager of the kids club royal and regal are different from the rest and can do what they want, however she is again incorrect as knowing the brochure for the kids club like the back of my hand the only exception to normal service is ocean and pacific who don't have kids clubs obviously.

You've been warned parents.

Have you spoken to the Hotel General Manager about your concerns?

They should not be putting younger kids in with the older kids.

You can't talk to them or the customer relation manager, they are not available anytime you ask. Legally we were not allowed to do it when I worked for princess, the ship believes they can do it, but unfortunately they don't understand what liability means when you put a child in an unsuitable and potentially dangerous environment.

You can't talk to them or the customer relation manager, they are not available anytime you ask. Legally we were not allowed to do it when I worked for princess, the ship believes they can do it, but unfortunately they don't understand what liability means when you put a child in an unsuitable and potentially dangerous environment.

Might I suggest a hand written note addressed to the Hotel General Manager and also one to the Customer Relations Manager? Too bad that you have to take such steps!!!

This really is not true. The kids' programs are supposed to operate on a regular schedule with appropriate activities for each age group. A parent should be able to depend upon that schedule and care being available.

Obviously, parents cannot expect to abdicate responsibility for their children and the behavior thereof during the cruise, but they should be able to count on the advertised childcare services being available, and plan their activities accordingly. Then it is their choice how much of the time will be spent with children, and how much time the kids will spend at the program - that is until, in a well run program, the kid wants to be at the program all the time!

Totally spot on, this is how our res agents sold this to parents in almost your exact wording. I've never seen or heard any complaint relating to the kids club at all except one on this issue(I also did reply to customer complaints) because that's indicative of how superb the care services are. Good hours, good activities and appropriate activities matched around the times the parents need to chill out and do their own thing.

The only complaint I did have was a customer wanted to put their ten year old in the remix teen club (highest head group) and princess in the states denied this saying they couldn't do it. That was two years ago but i can't imagine that standpoint has changed, it may be to do with insurance and which staff are trained to care for certain ages but they were clear to me at the time this was a huge no....as I had explained to that customer prior to emailing the head offices.

How many Pelican aged children are displaced on this cruise? :confused:

I would like to know too. Starting about August 15th this is not considered summer holiday as many schools are back in business by now.

If there is not many kids onboard they do combined the groups. BUT to put the smaller kids in the room with the bigger kids like that is not very safe for the wee ones

I find it particularly interesting that they are mixing age groups, when usually they won't let them mix...and are very strict about it. My sons weren't allowed to be in the same group until midweek, when my youngest had his birthday and could officially cross over into the next group up. There must be more to this than they are telling you, like staffing issues this week.

I have been on many cruises with my kids (Princess, Celebrity, HAL, RCCL) and it is very common if there are low numbers of children in one age group to combine the groups. We were on one cruise on the Coral where there were only 20 kids onboard the entire ship (ages 3 through 17) and all of them were combined into one group. However even if the children are combined in one group, the staffing ratios are still in effect, and they ensure that there are enough staff onboard to meet the needs of the kids. I have never before heard anyone complain that the kids are all combined in one area, because usually when you look in the area and see how few children there are, it makes sense. So to me, the crucial information you left out of your post would be how many children there are in each age group. This is easy information to obtain, because it is posted on the wall of the club in full view. Here's an example.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b52/hbrubeck/IMG_4465.jpg

I also find it strange that you are doing the complaining when this girl is not even your child?

Edited by helenb

I find it particularly interesting that they are mixing age groups, when usually they won't let them mix...and are very strict about it. My sons weren't allowed to be in the same group until midweek, when my youngest had his birthday and could officially cross over into the next group up. There must be more to this than they are telling you, like staffing issues this week.

sounds like you sail during a higher family cruising peak period

We cruised once the last week in August and there were 3o+ kids onboard from 2-17 not many at all.

sounds like you sail during a higher family cruising peak period

We cruised once the last week in August and there were 3o+ kids onboard from 2-17 not many at all.

I have no personal experience of cruising with my children as I could not afford the time off or the cost of cruising back then. Nor have I ever cruised on a Disney ship. I have seen the Disney ships and from the appearance of the upper decks, they go all out to provide entertainment for children. The next time your family decides to cruise with children, you might want to check out Disney to see if they would provide enough care of the children to suit your desires.

I have never had the opportunity to take my kids on a cruise. I don't drink, or gamble. But I know if I were on a cruise and saw they had an area for children, I know I may enjoy an hour or two for my kids to be involved with other kids to play with. Mind you not every day, maybe once or twice just to go read and swim, or go to the spa.

I would be disappointed if I saw the hours they said they were open and then they were not open. I may voice my opinion to guest services, but I would spend the time with my children. That is my job. Or if my child did not like it , I would not make them return.

We had our grandchildren on a cruise last February and they put all the children under 12 together. There were about 30 altogether but enough to have two age groups. Usually our kids love going but after two sessions of activities geared to preschool ,our 8 and 10 year old refused to go as did other older children. Maybe this was the point.

xdudex - I'm sorry that you and others are having to go through this. Small children don't belong with older ones unless the people in charge are giving them suitable activities for their age range. It sounds like the responses you have received from the people you have complained to is less than desirable.

To some of the posters- yes… some school systems are back in school but there are loads of areas that don't go back to school til this week and even after Labor Day. It is still summer vacation time.

I have to say, I find this rather odd. I was on the 26 day transatlantic/Baltics cruise (on the Royal) in April/May and there were 8 children onboard. Despite this very low number, Princess Pelicans was open every day for all scheduled hours. Only once did they transfer them to the Shockwaves room where there were all of two other kids. Sometimes, my kid (4 year old) was the only one there with the counselors. I thought the program was terrific (also went on Royal in December 2013 and found the club to be terrific). OP - sorry this is happening to you but my interactions with the kids club staff (including the manager) were wonderful and they bent over backwards to accommodate me and my daughter.

Have you spoken to the Hotel General Manager about your concerns?

You can't talk to them or the customer relation manager, they are not available anytime you ask.

Then the conversation should be had with the Captain's Circle host.

Just FYI Disney allows ages 3-12 together all the time.

I imagine the facilities are structured for that. Princess has separate areas for three different age groups, and each of the areas is designed to fit the requirements of those groups--furniture, activities, etc. The older kids might be allowed to use scissors, for instance, that wouldn't be appropriate for the little ones.

Edited by shredie

We are just recently off the Regal. She is doing port intensive Med cruises currently. The sanctuary and the pools were only heavily used during the two (only two during the whole 12 days) sea days. I would give this more credence if the child had to be taken on excursions instead of staying in the kids club. Being off the ship every day except two, then the pm hours seem sufficient. If there are few kids staying on board while the parents tour then I would expect the groups to be together. I'm not sure the whole story has been reported here.

We are just recently off the Regal. She is doing port intensive Med cruises currently. The sanctuary and the pools were only heavily used during the two (only two during the whole 12 days) sea days. I would give this more credence if the child had to be taken on excursions instead of staying in the kids club. Being off the ship every day except two, then the pm hours seem sufficient. If there are few kids staying on board while the parents tour then I would expect the groups to be together. I'm not sure the whole story has been reported here.

This is an excellent point. On port days (not evenings, just the days) the children's areas are officially 'closed' unless you have specifically signed up for port day sitting. At port day sitting, the younger age groups are often combined together, again, because there aren't as many children to take care of. But as always, staffing ratios are maintained.

So if 10 of the 12 days were port days, this may be why it seemed that the children's area was always 'closed' or 'combined' during the day.

There are two issues here:

Why and How.

Why did the manager choose to not open the club? If it's due to low numbers, just tell the parents that, politely "We're sorry, but with only 5 kids on board in that age group it just doesn't make sense to have it open, so we combined them". Parents may not be happy with that, but they will understand.

How it is handled is also important (and a consistent Princess problem as noted). Lack of response is not acceptable. Indignant response is not acceptable.

OP - You obviously have internet access. Have you consider posting a slimmed down version on the Princess FB page?