Transportation from FLL cruise terminal to Tampa Cruise Terminal in the same day

We did it by taking HAL transport from the ship in Ft. Lauderdale to Miami then flying (again through HAL) to Tampa. Unfortunately the airline lost our walker,taking about an hour before they would admit that they couldn't find it and give us a loaner. Then we had a HAL transfer to the Tampa dock. We arrived at the dock while muster drill was going on and the minute we were aboard everything was buttoned up and the ship started moving. I doubt that we would have been allowed to board so late if we had not used HAL provided transportation the entire way. Never again will we try this.

Do you often hit delays, heavy traffic during that ride or is it usually straight through?

Not delays, but traffic is usually moderately heavy between Ft Pierce and West Palm Beach, and heavy between West Palm Bch and FLL. Google/maps says 2h:28m and it usually takes us around 3h:15m, but we're about 20 min from I-95 at the north end. The 160 miles I stated in my other post is from Google, and doesn't include that 10 last miles.

I think the trip from FLL to TPA would be comparable for traffic ... light crossing Alligator Alley, and getting heavier as you near TPA.

We do the Alligator Alley Route & traffic increases on I 75 when you get into Naples, then Ft. Myers, Sarasota, Hillsboro & on up to Tampa.. It takes us a good 3 hours from the time we pick up a rental car in Ft. Lauderdale to get to our Ft. Myers exit.. It's 131 more miles from I-75 (Ft. Myers exit) to the Pier in Tampa...We've done it & would allow at least another two hours to return a rental car & then get the company to drive you to the pier.. After you get off I 75 you have to take the crosstown Expy which is slow..Total from Ft. Lauderdale at least 5 hours.. And there always seems to be some kind of construction which slows things down on I-75..

Also agree with Homosassa, during the rainy season traffic really slows down because many FLA drivers seem to panic in the rain.. LOL

Edited by serendipity1499

It is workable as an earlier post said, you could fly from FLL to Tampa on SW and have plenty of time to make it to the other cruise. Just cost a few dollars to fly and there you go. That is the only way to do it.

Edited by PathfinderEss

It is workable as an earlier post said, you could fly from FLL to Tampa on SW and have plenty of time to make it to the other cruise. Just cost a few dollars to fly and there you go. That is the only way to do it.

Thanks for the encouragement to make this happen. We are going to look into flights to Tampa and make a decision accordingly. The more I think about it now.....the more I feel it is doable without too much stress involved.

Thanks for the encouragement to make this happen. We are going to look into flights to Tampa and make a decision accordingly. The more I think about it now.....the more I feel it is doable without too much stress involved.

Of course a lot of people make two recommendations concerning flying and cruising:

A) Never book a flight before noon on debarkation day.

B) Never fly to a port on embarkation day.

You probably are safe in booking a flight at 11:00 AM or just later - which would get you to Tampa just past noon - a bit risky, but less so than driving - which would involve at least five hours on the road - plus at least an hour at each end picking up and dropping off rental car - meaning that you would have to be off the incoming ship by 8:00 at the latest and have zero traffic delays.

It is "doable" ---- with a bit of luck ----- but in no way should you call it "without too much stress involved".

Also agree with Homosassa, during the rainy season traffic really slows down because many FLA drivers seem to panic in the rain.. LOL

No panic on our part. When the rain is so heavy that there is several inches of water on the roadway and the wipers can not clear the rain from the windshield, a driver better reduce their speed.

In a perfect karmic moment, an SUV that blasted past us at high speed with a blaring horn was nose down in one of the canals along the road. A lesson about hydroplaning was probably hard earned knowledge that day. (And at least we were past the accident before emergency services showed up.

A private jet might work.

That's a plan. I like the way you think. :)

OP....... I think it's a great combination of cruises and if you can transfer without too much stress, it likely would be worth it. Good luck. That Tampa itinerary is really good for the Caribbean IMO