Transportation from FLL cruise terminal to Tampa Cruise Terminal in the same day

We are considering doing two cruises. One ends in FLL and the other starts in Tampa on the same day. Different ships. Is it feasible to get from FLL cruise terminal to Tampa Cruise Terminal via bus in time to board ship for second cruise or am I just thinking ridiculously out of the box!

Do not want to get excited thinking about this if it is not even possible.

Thanks for any recommendations. Tampa cruise has not been booked as yet.

There is a bus service which goes from Ft. Lauderdale which stops just off the highway on I-75 in Tampa..However it will not go into Tampa or any where near the Pier..

We've taken it but it leaves around 11-11:30 out of Ft. Lauderdale, crosses Aligator Alley & then makes stops in Naples, Ft. Myers, Port Charlotte, Sun City & then Tampa at MacDonalds just off I=75.. It will take you at least 3-4 hrs or more, once the bus leaves...

It's called the Cruise Connection Bus Service by Escot: Phone No. is 1-888-501-5388..From there you would have to try to get a Cab which probably is another 15 to 20 miles or more..

IMO it probably would be better to rent a car one way between Ft. Lauderdale & Tampa Pier..

Edited by serendipity1499

Best to research this on the Florida Departures board. I would think a rental car would be the best way to do this.

FLL to Tampa is a six hour drive. A rental car IS the best way. We spend the winter in the Tampa area and have taken cruises from FLL. Even with no chance of snow, we go down the day before. Just too many things that can trip you up. Construction, an accident, just simply too much traffic, etc. etc.

For what it is worth, I would not attempt doing what you plan on doing - a day apart yes, same day, no. Depending on the day of the week, the Tampa traffic could take you some time to negotiate because you will arrive near the start of rush hour. And if you are delayed disembarking in FLL, you may not make the cruise at all. It would be way too much stress for me.

FLL to Tampa is a six hour drive.
When you factor in the time it would take to get a rental car in FLL, return it in Tampa, and then get to the pier I'd say the chance of making it on time for Muster Drill are slim to none. Edited by jtl513

I think it would be too stressful FOR ME to make it worth it. You CAN make it if you rent a car but so many things can go wrong, I wouldn't take the chance. If you had a day between, it would be a great idea. Same day is too risky, IMO

FLL to Tampa is a six hour drive. A rental car IS the best way. We spend the winter in the Tampa area and have taken cruises from FLL. Even with no chance of snow, we go down the day before. Just too many things that can trip you up. Construction, an accident, just simply too much traffic, etc. etc.

For what it is worth, I would not attempt doing what you plan on doing - a day apart yes, same day, no. Depending on the day of the week, the Tampa traffic could take you some time to negotiate because you will arrive near the start of rush hour. And if you are delayed disembarking in FLL, you may not make the cruise at all. It would be way too much stress for me.

I completely agree with you...Even knowing all the Fl roads it's taking a chance.. We live close to Ft. Myers & it's stressful!..I would not attempt to do a same day cruise out of Tampa either..

Edited by serendipity1499

I assume you would be making this trip on the weekend. The time for the actual trip is approx. 4 hours, but you have to factor in getting a rental car, etc. Your plan is doable, but could be stressful if something doesn't go right.

Thankyou for your suggestions. I have looked into the bus and I agree it will be too stressful for us. I did not really take into consideration the traffic woes that may or may not happen. I think I will reconsider and make it another cruise another time. We just wanted to try to do the two cruises back to back if it was possible. Changing our return air is also costly now....so I will delete this idea from my head right now. Thank you CC friends for the advice.

It would be possible to fly it on SW if there was a reasonably scheduled flight, the airport is adjacent to Port Everglades, flight time to Tampa is < 1 hour, and allow a 30 minute transit from TIA to the pier in tampa. Airfares have been running as cheap as about $80 one way with advance purchase, and SW has no bag fees. Also SW frequency is enough there are probably at least two flights that would allow you to make it to Tampa to board a cruise.

Thankyou for your suggestions. I have looked into the bus and I agree it will be too stressful for us. I did not really take into consideration the traffic woes that may or may not happen. I think I will reconsider and make it another cruise another time. We just wanted to try to do the two cruises back to back if it was possible. Changing our return air is also costly now....so I will delete this idea from my head right now. Thank you CC friends for the advice.

I had thought of doing this as well and never came up with a feasible solution. HAL does run Homeport buses from Fort Lauderdale to the West Coast of Florida...I don't know if that could be done. Or, if they even go as far as Tampa. Have you checked that?

I had thought of doing this as well and never came up with a feasible solution. HAL does run Homeport buses from Fort Lauderdale to the West Coast of Florida...I don't know if that could be done. Or, if they even go as far as Tampa. Have you checked that?

I've found from experience that HAL doesn't run (contract for) the homeport buses for every cruise departure/arrival. I pick up the bus in Ft. Myers. Several times when it dropped us off, we were late, which probably meant a delayed arrival in Tampa for the passengers continuing the ride.

Anyone know how long the drive is from Fll to Tampa. We're going to be visiting some friends there and are considering a cruise from Tampa, but we wouldn't have to do it in one day.Is it really only 4 hours?

Sail, I like your idea.

Anyone know how long the drive is from Fll to Tampa. Is it really only 4 hours?
I've never done the drive, but Google/maps says 3-3/4 hrs, 267 miles. That's averaging 70 mph. Judging by my 160 mile drive home from FLL I'd add another 3/4 hr to that estimate. Edited by jtl513

I've never done the drive, but Google/maps says 3-3/4 hrs, 267 miles. That's averaging 70 mph. Judging by my 160 mile drive home from FLL I'd add another 3/4 hr to that estimate.[/size][/font]

Do you often hit delays, heavy traffic during that ride or is it usually straight through?

Do you often hit delays, heavy traffic during that ride or is it usually straight through?
Not delays, but traffic is usually moderately heavy between Ft Pierce and West Palm Beach, and heavy between West Palm Bch and FLL. Google/maps says 2h:28m and it usually takes us around 3h:15m, but we're about 20 min from I-95 at the north end. The 160 miles I stated in my other post is from Google, and doesn't include that 10 last miles.

I think the trip from FLL to TPA would be comparable for traffic ... light crossing Alligator Alley, and getting heavier as you near TPA.

Edited by jtl513

Not delays, but traffic is usually moderately heavy between Ft Pierce and West Palm Beach, and heavy between West Palm Bch and FLL. Google/maps says 2h:28m and it usually takes us around 3h:15m, but we're about 20 min from I-95 at the north end. The 160 miles I stated in my other post is from Google, and doesn't include that 10 last miles.

I think the trip from FLL to TPA would be comparable for traffic ... light crossing Alligator Alley, and getting heavier as you near TPA.

Thank you. That's doable for us since we won't be coming off a ship and don't have to worry about that part of it.

I would take the southern route across the Everglades and up I-75 if I were driving. There are far fewer areas of congestion that way.

What time of year are you planning on doing the cross Florida drive? If you are going in rainy season when lines of thunderstorms may be moving across the state, you may have torrential downpours to factor into your driving.

We have had this happen on two October cruises. We drive from Homosassa (i hour north of Tampa) to either Ft. Lauderdale or Miami. On both occasions, we had a line of storms moving through the area from west to east. The rain was so heavy the safe speed on IS-75 was around 35 mph. It added an additional hour to our trip.

An FYI, it is never a good idea to exceed the speed limit in Florida (even on tiny backroads). All roads are patrolled and if the staties don't get you, the county mounties will. Speeding fines are hefty.