NCL Dawn - balcony vs mini suite

We're currently booked in a balcony room but mini suites are dropping in price and not that much more. Other than floor space/curtain and the tub, what else would we get with a mini suite?

Those are the only differences I've seen between those two cabins on the DAWN. The mini-suite category is basically a deluxe balcony, and doesn't get any of the full suite amenities.

We're currently booked in a balcony room but mini suites are dropping in price and not that much more. Other than floor space/curtain and the tub, what else would we get with a mini suite?

That is about it. But if the price difference is modest enough, I would upgrade. We love the extra space and the curtain dividing the sitting area from the sleeping area.

Check the room location. It appears that all the mini's on the Dawn are on Deck 11, right below the pool deck. If that is your only choice, I would stick with a regular balcony on deck 9 or 10

Check the room location. It appears that all the mini's on the Dawn are on Deck 11, right below the pool deck. If that is your only choice, I would stick with a regular balcony on deck 9 or 10

Pool deck on Dawn class and Jewel class ships is only between fwd and midship elevators so while there are also other potential noise sources on deck 12, there are plenty of good mini-suites on all those ships for person doing their research.

The balcony is somewhat bigger in the mini suite category. We spend a lot of time out there, so we appreciated the extra space. I tried a search of this site a few months ago to try and find the actual dimensions of the balconies, but found nothing. I'll vouch for 11678 and it being a quiet cabin. Nice location too because it's close to the Garden Cafe to run up and get a snack to bring back to the cabin.

One BIG difference that is very important if there are more than 2 in your party. In the Balcony cabin, when the sofa bed is opened out, you cannot walk out to the balcony. The only way to reach it is to crawl over the folded-out bed. Very inconvenient. There are three of us who travel together and after the first time, we never get a balcony on the Dawn (and, I assume, sister ships).

As to the bathroom, however, unless you want/need a tub the arrangement in the Balcony cabins - 3 separate areas for shower, sink and toilet - is much nicer and more convenient.

We have been in a mini suite on the Dawn and an aft balcony (9738) and I have seen a mid ship balcony, the balcony cabin has a small single sofa, the mini has a double sofa, we thought the mini felt much more comfortable to move around in, but we opted for the balcony room the 2nd time as we have gotten hooked on being on the aft, it is so peaceful and that was all that was left.

We picked a mini that was not under the pool, we were just forward of where the pool would have been over us as I had done a lot of research and found the one I thought would be the quietest. It was very comfortable and would book it again in a heartbeat, if I couldn't get aft, it was 11552, I personally would not book anything under a noisy area because we are light sleepers, some may not have a problem with that.

Edit: The forward minis are between real suites, balcony deck flooring is nicer because of that.

Edited by coscab

Mini-suites...You also get more leg room when "sitting" in the bathroom...because you have a tub/shower, its length matches the other side in the toilet area. I also think there is more storage in the mini suites on Dawn. The entryway is bigger and there is wood trim with prettier pictures. The mini suite balcony is bigger and the fold out couch is bigger. You also get two chairs in the vanity area than just one in the balcony cabin.

That said, I have also slept on the fold out couch in a regular balcony on the Dawn...I discovered around mid week that the bottom third of the couch pushes in so you CAN walk out to the balcony while the bed is out (at least it did in my room) ...It was a nice discovery!

Coka

Edited by coka

• 2 months later...

My husband and I were originally going to book a balcony room, but there was an offer to upgrade to a mini-suit, so we did. Our mini-suite is above the Garden Cafe. I think that's toward the back of the ship (??). Can anyone tell me if that is a noisy area?

My husband and I were originally going to book a balcony room, but there was an offer to upgrade to a mini-suit, so we did. Our mini-suite is above the Garden Cafe. I think that's toward the back of the ship (??). Can anyone tell me if that is a noisy area?

We were in a minisuite on the dawn under the garden cafe. It was grat. No noise and the balcony has a lot more room and there is an overhang from the buffet above that protects the balcony from the elements. Our cabin was 14 from the back.

We had a "Mini-Suite" once and really liked it for all the features others have posted here. One big negative in our opinion was the tub. It was deep and I bashed my knee getting into it the first morning. No problem after that first morning. Anyway, I cannot imagine anyone with mobility issues liking it compared to a regular walk in shower.

Are you talking about the Dawn? If so, there is no mini suites above garden cafe.

• 3 months later...

We were in a mini suite last time on deck 11. We loved the extra room and the balcony but we were under the pool area and could hear them moving chairs, etc. early in the morning. My husband can sleep through anything but I did hear it. I wouldn't pass up a mini though, it was so nice having the extra room.

• 10 months later...
The only other perk I know of for mini suites is the double latitudes points earned. Interior, ocean view & balcony earns 1 pt per day. Mini suites & suites earn 2 points per day.

You've now brought up 3 old posts to put incorrect information out there. There are no double points for mini suites!!!