Just off Jewel...

pthjudy

We just disembarked Jewel and am waiting for the survey from Royal. Our service was exemplary throughout the cruise, as good as or better than on any of our 30+ cruises. I don't know if anyone has had the pleasure of having Elroy John as their stateroom attendant. He was outstanding in both work ethic and personality. It was rare that I would enter or exit our cabin without seeing him. He was always ready with a smile, pleasantry, or key to open the door for me. Our cruise before this was Oceania, and Mr. John topped the service we received on that cruise. Just curious if anyone has encountered this gem.

We just disembarked Jewel and am waiting for the survey from Royal. Our service was exemplary throughout the cruise, as good as or better than on any of our 30+ cruises. I don't know if anyone has had the pleasure of having Elroy John as their stateroom attendant. He was outstanding in both work ethic and personality. It was rare that I would enter or exit our cabin without seeing him. He was always ready with a smile, pleasantry, or key to open the door for me. Our cruise before this was Oceania, and Mr. John topped the service we received on that cruise. Just curious if anyone has encountered this gem.

We didn't have the pleasure of Elroy John as our stateroom attendant, it was Leif. However, we would agree that the service was exemplary on Jewel. Would highly recommend this ship!

We are on Jewel in 6 weeks. What cabin # were you in?

We sail on the Jewel in two weeks! Please tell us more about your trip. How was the entertainment?

This is our schedule for our trip:

St Martin: Cab to Little Divi Beach. It’s the next beach to the downtown beach. It is very close, very short cab ride. Nice little beach bar, calm water always, and pure sand with a gentle slope into the water. We swam out to the floating tiki bar where they have the underwater walking course with the dive helmets. Cab back to downtown have a beer on the boardwalk while wife shops. Walk back to ship.

St Kitts: Cab to the Marriot. Walk through the lobby straight to the beach. Swim and snorkel all day. Cab back and sit at the cruise terminal bar and have a beer or two while wife shops.

Antigua: Cab to Valley Church Beach. Beautiful setting and great for swimming. Nice little beach bar. Cab back to town. Have a beer at the terminal area bar while wife shops.

St Lucia: Cab to Rodney Bay (Reduit Beach). Perfect Caribbean beach. Clear water, soft sand pretty setting, nice beach bars. Cab back to cruise ship terminal. No shopping for us in St Lucia as shops are not near the ship. They are a long walk, or short cab ride away. ALTERNATE: Might do the Ti Kaye Resort day trip snorkeling tour. (Best trip in Saint Lucia for those that have already seen the Pitons and Marigot Bay, etc.) Must have a Pitons Beer.

Barbados: Cab to Carlyle Bay Beach (Boatyard and Lobster Alive area). Nice pink sand, calm water, nice beach bars. Cab back to port. Must have a Banks beer.

We are on Jewel in 6 weeks. What cabin # were you in?

#8656. We had booked an inside but with price drops we upgraded to a balcony for $13 total! Not too shabby. My only complaint was no wifi in cabins.

That is good to hear such a great report. We are looking forward to sailing on her in 3 weeks.

I do have one question for you that you may or may not know the answer to. Do you know if Chops has made the switch to the new menu on Jewel?:confused:

Didn't do specialties. We sailed with my son's family and they were content with MDR. My grandson did love Seaview though! I actually did too!

Will be Sailing on Jewel in October 2014, Any thoughts on Excursions??

Antigua, St Croix, St Lucia, Barbardos etc.....

We did not have St Croix. In Barbados we took a taxi to Harbour Lights at Carlisle Bay. It was a beautiful beach and we were able to take a glass bottom boat to snorkel with the turtles and shipwreck for just $20 PP. As for St. Lucia, we made the mistake of taking a tour from a port vendor. Yes, it was cheap, but the island is twisty and there's really not too much to see. We saw the volcano and waterfall and I wish we had stayed on the ship. The rainforest tram was probably the best option but 3 of our 6 don't like heights. My son's family went to the beach in Antigua. We stayed on the ship for a down day. We did Blue Water Safari in St. kitts. It was sort of fun.

We sail on the Jewel in two weeks! Please tell us more about your trip. How was the entertainment?

This is our schedule for our trip:

St Martin: Cab to Little Divi Beach. It’s the next beach to the downtown beach. It is very close, very short cab ride. Nice little beach bar, calm water always, and pure sand with a gentle slope into the water. We swam out to the floating tiki bar where they have the underwater walking course with the dive helmets. Cab back to downtown have a beer on the boardwalk while wife shops. Walk back to ship.

St Kitts: Cab to the Marriot. Walk through the lobby straight to the beach. Swim and snorkel all day. Cab back and sit at the cruise terminal bar and have a beer or two while wife shops.

Antigua: Cab to Valley Church Beach. Beautiful setting and great for swimming. Nice little beach bar. Cab back to town. Have a beer at the terminal area bar while wife shops.

St Lucia: Cab to Rodney Bay (Reduit Beach). Perfect Caribbean beach. Clear water, soft sand pretty setting, nice beach bars. Cab back to cruise ship terminal. No shopping for us in St Lucia as shops are not near the ship. They are a long walk, or short cab ride away. ALTERNATE: Might do the Ti Kaye Resort day trip snorkeling tour. (Best trip in Saint Lucia for those that have already seen the Pitons and Marigot Bay, etc.) Must have a Pitons Beer.

Barbados: Cab to Carlyle Bay Beach (Boatyard and Lobster Alive area). Nice pink sand, calm water, nice beach bars. Cab back to port. Must have a Banks beer.

I like your plans and hope your weather was as good as ours. Yesterday, though, in San Juan we had torrential rain. Fortunately we did get home albeit very late. As for the entertainment, we were a bit disappointed. They had only 1 production show and they had just joined the ship. It was their first performance and there were a few mistakes. My son saw one comedian whom he loved. We all saw another who was just ok.

That is good to hear such a great report. We are looking forward to sailing on her in 3 weeks.

I do have one question for you that you may or may not know the answer to. Do you know if Chops has made the switch to the new menu on Jewel?:confused:

Chops has not switched to the new menu or price on Jewel as of several weeks ago.

St Lucia: Cosol Tours

Antigua: Lawrence of Antigua

I would recommend Cosol Tours too - great day in St Lucia with them, nice buffet style breakfast provided and lots of drinks through the day, we did a b2b in April, great ship, did not see a lot of entertainment as it was so port intensive and we were really tired. Only tip I would give to future cruisers is to get to the pool early on the sea day if you do want a spot by the pool, it fills up very quickly, but, we did see the deck patrol monitoring for chair hogs.