The evolution of cruising

jimbo5544

I don't think I would like portion control. Not because I wouldn't get a big enough portion but the portions given would be too big and I would end up throwing a lot of it away. I tend to take very small helpings of a variety of foods. After I've had my "tastings" I would go back, if I am still hungry, for some more smaller helpings of the ones I've enjoyed. I don't eat something if I don't like it, so instead of wasting a larger serving I am wasting a smaller serving if I end up discarding it. I think portion control would have the opposite effect with me and I would waste more food with it.

Cruising has changed so much over the years.

I loved it on my first few cruises when they had the Passenger Lists that were distributed on the last night. Found a neighbor who was on the same sailing and we never saw each other on the cruise!

Dressed up every night for dinner and I mean EVERY night. Never saw jeans, tees etc in a dining venue. (don't really miss dress up every night)

Food was always abundant. On the first cruise I didn't know that you didn't have to go to the dining room for every meal. I have never done dining room breakfast since then, unless it's a sea day brunch on Carnival and I still don't go before noon. There were no specialty restaurants but you could always find something to eat 24 hours a day. ( I still love room service). Midnight buffets were every night and I think we went to every one on the first cruise. Haven't been to one since.

On the first cruise I travelled with a party of 7 and we all smoked. Back then you could smoke everywhere on the ship, dining room, cabins, theater. The only place they didn't want smoking were the elevators and there were ashtrays in front of every one! There were many more smokers back then and it seemed that everyone in the dining room smoked! These days, even though I do smoke, I can't imagine smoking in the dining room. No smoking on balconys is the only current issue I don't like, but like anything else, I'll cope.

I will still continue to cruise regardless of the changes that take place. I think it's a great vacation for singles, couples, families, especially when you don't have to fly to the port. It truly was all inclusive on my first few, except for the bar tabs and tips. It seems these days, the extras can cost more than the cruise!!

Smooth sailing......I'm still going!!!

Yes, very similar, I don't like the idea of having to walk around the entire cruise with a wristband on.

The wristband appears to be removable. So just put it in your pocket. And if go in the pool or something like that, you can put it on you wrist and not have to worry about it falling out of a bathing suit pocket or leaving it unattended at your pool chair.

I had the same thought. Perfect tracking device.

I wonder if they will put mini readers of the tracking bands in the "preferred" stores ashore to help track their commissions earned when customers buy there.

Exactly how would they be able to tell the difference between someone buying and just browsing. It's not like you can use it to make purchases in stores onshore.

Also,I don't know if you know this or not but they can put a chip in credit cards. Which means they can put them in your stateroom key card. So, it isn't necessary for any new technology to track you.

Of course not. Carnival didn't think of it.

By the way, I guess my rose cited glasses are not unique. You might want to jump over to the royal main board, it appears most there echo my thoughts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

I think as a whole the cruise industry has been slow to change . Match up the rest of services we consume and see how tech has changed the products , not so much in the cruise industry. until recently tech innovation really has been “under the cover” with mechanical systems .. we are now seeing it driving the end user experience. From RCCL 80 inch dispays in interior rooms creating a picture window, ( waking up to sunlight) to RFID wrist bands..( no not lanyard or hole punching! Walki talki to located your kids .. rfid can solve that) .. I think its an exciting time.. robotic bartenders!

I also know that data mining and analytics will drive promo and perks ..

I love tech / evolution

By the way portion control ( plating smaller amounts) not only will it save food it might also cut down noro

Edited by carsastic

From RCCL 80 inch dispays in interior rooms creating a picture window, ( waking up to sunlight) to RFID wrist bands..( no not lanyard or hole punching! Walki talki to located your kids .. rfid can solve that) .. I think its an exciting time.. robotic bartenders!

Interesting thoughts.Robotic bartenders (I know Carnival has some of this on the Sunshine with the Library wine bar and a draft beer dispenser on LIDO as well). I deal with tech stuff during the day - every day. Don't feel it adds to my cruise experience all that much, so much for the banter when ordering a cocktail before dinner.:confused:

I would not do interior rooms, but I get the display thing as an added function I guess. Maybe they can pipe in the cool breeze and the oceans sounds as well....hell, maybe we can stay home and experience it over the net...lol. Coming soon, a virtual cruise that only costs half of what you pay for the real thing. Added value = you can smuggle as much booze on board as you want.:rolleyes:

Interesting thoughts.Robotic bartenders (I know Carnival has some of this on the Sunshine with the Library wine bar and a draft beer dispenser on LIDO as well). I deal with tech stuff during the day - every day. Don't feel it adds to my cruise experience all that much, so much for the banter when ordering a cocktail before dinner.:confused:

I would not do interior rooms, but I get the display thing as an added function I guess. Maybe they can pipe in the cool breeze and the oceans sounds as well....hell, maybe we can stay home and experience it over the net...lol. Coming soon, a virtual cruise that only costs half of what you pay for the real thing. Added value = you can smuggle as much booze on board as you want.:rolleyes:

certainly not for everyone.. sorta like the banking industry .. I haven't been in a bank in 20 yrs.. some like to go its there for people to choose.

I don't do interiors either.. but can solve a issue for some rate vs closed in feeling.

regarding bartenders .. I believe rccl announced that tech some time in the last day or so..

again not for everyone but choice is a very good thing

certainly not for everyone.. sorta like the banking industry .. I haven't been in a bank in 20 yrs.. some like to go its there for people to choose.

I don't do interiors either.. but can solve a issue for some rate vs closed in feeling.

regarding bartenders .. I believe rccl announced that tech some time in the last day or so..

again not for everyone but choice is a very good thing

Not sure if it was announced, but there was more detail announced yesterday. That was part of the reason for me doing the thread.

Don't get me wrong. Choices are a good thing. I just like the product where it is and afraid it is migrating to somewhere else. Be it technology enhancements, amusement park rides, all inclusive options, Broadway shows, etc.. It will be interesting to see where it all lands (pun intended;)).

I don't think I would like portion control. Not because I wouldn't get a big enough portion but the portions given would be too big and I would end up throwing a lot of it away. I tend to take very small helpings of a variety of foods. After I've had my "tastings" I would go back, if I am still hungry, for some more smaller helpings of the ones I've enjoyed. I don't eat something if I don't like it, so instead of wasting a larger serving I am wasting a smaller serving if I end up discarding it. I think portion control would have the opposite effect with me and I would waste more food with it.

Totally agree with you!

LuLu

Talk about big brother watching over you. This is not my idea of improving cruising

Yes, this post really added to the thread also. As someone already pointed out, if they want to keep track of you, it can be done with your room key. So your comment about "big brother watching over you" is just your way of making a negative comment about Rcl without coming right out and saying it.

I read it yesterday and it is for the Quantum OTS. Unfortunately it will be based out of China. Though, RCI stated in the article they are looking to do more ships this way.

Anthem OTS, her sister ship is being built now and I am sure it will have all of the same.

Not sure if it was announced, but there was more detail announced yesterday. That was part of the reason for me doing the thread.

Don't get me wrong. Choices are a good thing. I just like the product where it is and afraid it is migrating to somewhere else. Be it technology enhancements, amusement park rides, all inclusive options, Broadway shows, etc.. It will be interesting to see where it all lands (pun intended;)).

drudge had a link on it this morning

By the way, I guess my rose cited glasses are not unique. You might want to jump over to the royal main board, it appears most there echo my thoughts.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my iPhone

I've been on the Royal boards. And from what I've read, it appears that you must have gray colored glasses when your over there. Most complaints I see are about having to wear the bracelet all the time not due to any concern about being tracked by them. And even the wearing issue is not valid, because the bracelets are an option. So no one who doesn't want to wear it, is forced to. Also, though I haven't verified this yet they look to be removable. So as you yourself have posted in the past "options are a good thing".

Yes, this post really added to the thread also. As someone already pointed out, if they want to keep track of you, it can be done with your room key. So your comment about "big brother watching over you" is just your way of making a negative comment about Rcl without coming right out and saying it.

How does my room key do that? RFID can track you where ever you are...all the time. Room key cannot. If you read my posts (and there a fair number out there), you will see that I give my opinion good and bad on any subject whether it be Carnival or Royal or NCL or any other cruise line. If Carnival came out with this, I would say the same thing.

I've been on the Royal boards. And from what I've read, it appears that you must have gray colored glasses when your over there. Most complaints I see are about having to wear the bracelet all the time not due to any concern about being tracked by them. And even the wearing issue is not valid, because the bracelets are an option. So no one who doesn't want to wear it, is forced to. Also, though I haven't verified this yet they look to be removable. So as you yourself have posted in the past "options are a good thing".

My are we not the defensive one....;) Did I say "forced"?

I did say options are a good thing (was not in reference to wearing a bracelet, but true enough). I also said (to quote you quoting me) it is not my idea of improving cruising.

Anthem OTS, her sister ship is being built now and I am sure it will have all of the same.

According to the GEO of RCI the Quantum is going have interesting technologies such as wrist band to gain entrance to your cabin. Maybe the same wrist band's bar code will be used to by drinks, etc. which will be very interesting if it works. Since the ships have not be built yet these technologies could be installed easier than existing ships.

Gary

According to the GEO of RCI the Quantum is going have interesting technologies such as wrist band to gain entrance to your cabin. Maybe the same wrist band's bar code will be used to by drinks, etc. which will be very interesting if it works. Since the ships have not be built yet these technologies could be installed easier than existing ships.

Gary

Quantum is close and they announced yesterday that it will be on that ship. It is my assumption that Anthem, which follows her and in a much earlier stage of the build cycle will have these features as well.

The wrist bands will be entrance to your room, eliminate the check in process and I am pretty sure (but will corrected i a heartbeat if I am wrong;)) have the ability to act as your sea pass.

I can easily see that some would think of these as an enhancement. My point in posting the original post here was where is cruising going with all of the new technology, enhancements, rides, shows etc..