Post Your Cabin Temperature

BigEasyCC

We just got off Sensation yesterday. Here are the temps according to my alarm clock:

First night - 73

Second night - 76 (felt stuffy)

Third night - 74

We were in Nassau on the second day and it was really hot so the room got warm, even though we kept the curtains closed.

Edited by CruisinCrow

It's all about saving money since they get are getting smaller per diems than most other lines on most sailings.

Bill

Oh, we understand that. Like I said earlier, we noticed it about 5 years ago and it's not just Carnival, it's all the lines and figured it was cost cutting...but I can't sleep when the temp is above 70 and our cabin got up as high as 82 during the night. It would drop back down to around 78, but still that is way too hot to sleep comfortably.

Edited by Terre

Oh, we understand that. Like I said earlier, we noticed it about 5 years ago and it's not just Carnival, it's all the lines and figured it was cost cutting...but I can't sleep when the temp is above 70 and our cabin got up as high as 82 during the night. It would drop back down to around 78, but still that is way too hot to sleep comfortably.

That's when it's time to get your blanket and pillow and sleep in the lobby near the guest services desk.

Bill

It's too bad you're unable to set the thermostat in the stateroom to something similar to VIP mode at hotels. That would eliminate so many threads here on Cruise Critic about a warm stateroom/faulty air conditioning and everyone would have the temperature they are comfortable with.

Edited by Disconnections

We just got off the Paradise on Saturday. We stayed on the Verandah deck interior cabin V-36. The room was freezing, which is a good thing for us. Great for sleeping. We had it set on the coldest, but it could have been adjusted to make it warmer if we wanted. I brought a thermometer with me, as we have had a problem in the past, with the a/c on the Liberty, with the room being warm. The thermometer read 64 degrees on the Paradise, compared to 78 on the Liberty (cabin 7334).

We just got off the Paradise on Saturday. We stayed on the Verandah deck interior cabin V-36. The room was freezing, which is a good thing for us. Great for sleeping. We had it set on the coldest, but it could have been adjusted to make it warmer if we wanted. I brought a thermometer with me, as we have had a problem in the past, with the a/c on the Liberty, with the room being warm. The thermometer read 64 degrees on the Paradise, compared to 78 on the Liberty (cabin 7334).

Think my next cruise is going to be on the Paradise!!! Love a cold cabin!

I personally would also find 76-78 degrees too warm as well. If that's what Carnivore is saying is an acceptable range, I think they need to rethink those specs

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

A2Mich,

When we were on the Breeze I remember you had to stick the cabin key in a slot by the door in order to activate the lights. Do you think that the ships may be using an energy management system that is automatically adjusting the temperature when the cabin is empty or people are sleeping?

I've been in the hotel business for 30 years, and one of the things that has become prevalent in hotel energy management is thermostat functionality that automatically adjusts temperature when no one is in a room. I have also been pitched systems that will adjust temperatures at night. Now all of these automatic settings are overridden if you manually adjust the thermostat, all be it they temporarily override the default. A guest sets the thermostat to 68 degrees, but once the sensor thinks they have left the room, it simply adjust back to 75 (or whatever the default is). Once they stick their key in the door, it kicks back on. Over zealous managers can set that default to ridiculously high (or low in the winter) defaults that are very noticeable to guests when they walk back in the room. This will often lead to calls about the thermostat not working properly.

Seems like the older ships are cooler, and the newer ships (or recently refurbished) are the hotter ones. Maybe they are putting in a similar energy management system.

Leaving the doors open will definitely make a difference, as will what is going on in the adjacent cabins. If you close your curtains, but the cabins on both sides of you leave theirs open it is going to warm up your space. As would where you are in the duct run. I wonder how many of the cabins that are running so warm are at the end of a duct run and simply are not getting the same air flow, as the ones closer to the beginning of the run.

For anyone who has had this problem: If your cabin was 78 -82 at night, how hot was it during the day? If it was not getting significantly hotter during the day, then I would guest they were definitely doing something with the cooling system at night.

We have never had a problem with the temperature including our last two cruises on the Breeze and Conquest. I will tell you that my wife thinks of AC like a giant fan. She gets up in the morning and is chilly, so she turns the temp way up. Then when we come back in the afternoon she's hot and pushes it to the lowest extent. I have definitely had the room warm up during the day, but it has always cooled down when we adjusted the thermostat.

Do not know what exactly they did or recommended, but here is a press release from Marine Design Dynamics from 11/1/2012.

Carnival Cruise Lines (CCL) engaged MDD to assist in implementing a fleet wide program to reduce ship fuel consumption and emissions. MDD will provide program management of energy initiatives and validation of energy savings.

Some of these energy conservation projects include; installation of variable frequency drives, changes to onboard lighting, improvement/replacement of HVAC systems and improvement to water circulation systems.

May be related, may not be.

Also, this is a job posted by Carnival. Find out who this person is, and you will know who to ask about the temperature on ship.

Project Coordinator Energy Conservation

Job Location: Miami, FL apply

Job Title: Project Coordinator, Energy Conservation

Area of Interest: Marine Operations

Company: Carnival Cruise Lines

City: Miami

State/Province: Florida

Job Description:

Carnival Cruise Lines ("CCL") is a branded division within Carnival Corporation, a publicly traded company founded in 1972 and headquartered in Miami. Carnival Corporation has over 90,000 employees worldwide operating 100 ships and produces over $15 billion in revenues. At any given time, there are over 270,000 people cruising with Carnival. Carnival Corporation owns a number of different cruise lines and has become the largest corporation in the cruise industry. Carnival's portfolio of 10 leading cruise brands includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises, Holland America Line, and Seabourn in North America; P&O Cruises and Cunard Line in the United Kingdom; AIDA in Germany; Costa Cruises in southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain, and P&O Cruises in Australia.

The primary focus of the position is to coordinate, organize and document various energy conservation projects for Carnival Cruise Lines. The Project Coordinator is responsible for managing all administrative functions for the department and offering support with new project initiatives.

Carnival Elation, Jr Suite V5, May 2013, temp ranged from 72-86. We had to keep the curtains closed, not use the balcony, and slept very fitful and uncomfortable with no blankets on the bed. That's the last time we book a balcony until the issues with the AC are resolved. We've booked a spa interior on the Dream for December, if it's too warm we'll move on from Carnival. I can't deal with a hot room to sleep in. If I can't get it down to 68 at night, I'll book resorts with air I actually control.

We loved everything else about cruising too. It's sad that they can't understand how important personal temp preference is!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by TruckinMama

I've had balconies and that's why I was curious as to exactly where on the ship the overly warm cabins are located. Most it seems are located from the aft elevators to the back of the ship. Is that where your cabin was located?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

Instead of anticipating my next cruise with JOY, I now have a daily feeling of dread wondering if my two balcony cabins will be plagued with hot temperatures. We have connecting cabins on deck 8 by the aft elevators (ugh). Bringing a fan just swirls the hot air around. I hope Carnival gets this fixed SOON!!

A2Mich,

When we were on the Breeze I remember you had to stick the cabin key in a slot by the door in order to activate the lights. Do you think that the ships may be using an energy management system that is automatically adjusting the temperature when the cabin is empty or people are sleeping?

They certainly could be doing such a thing. Some people are naturally wasteful at home, and others may be more wasteful when they're not paying for the utilities and in "vacation mode" mentally. I understand that the cruise lines want to save money, but I don't think doing so at the expense of customer's comfort/enjoyment may be the right answer. There may be other ways to cut costs. Having individual HVAC units in every cabin would be the IDEAL solution, but is definitely not economically feasible nor practically possible. I think that having a damper system to shut off HVAC to AND from cabins who leave their balcony doors open would be the best solution. For those that want to circumvent the system can pay the price for their actions. LOL!

They certainly could be doing such a thing. Some people are naturally wasteful at home, and others may be more wasteful when they're not paying for the utilities and in "vacation mode" mentally. I understand that the cruise lines want to save money, but I don't think doing so at the expense of customer's comfort/enjoyment may be the right answer. There may be other ways to cut costs. Having individual HVAC units in every cabin would be the IDEAL solution, but is definitely not economically feasible nor practically possible. I think that having a damper system to shut off HVAC to AND from cabins who leave their balcony doors open would be the best solution. For those that want to circumvent the system can pay the price for their actions. LOL!

Well, then the air system should work at night when most people are in their cabins for 8+ hours. Nothing worse than sleeping in a sweaty bed....yuck!!

A2MICH

I agree. The goal of this type of energy management is to save money by managing the heat and ac when no one is in the cabin. It should never be setup to the point that a guest would notice the difference (other than maybe being a "little" warmer when you first get back to the cabin). Although I also wonder if: as they make the ships bigger and add more balconies, allowing more people leave the doors open; your first post wasn't spot on about make up air.

CISHIP, the temperatures people are reporting at night are way to warm to be comfortable, and shouldn't be left like that. My concern is if there is some type of energy management system in use, it is possible that the ship's staff can not do anything about it. I would hope that someone on ship could make adjustments.

Hopefully, if it is related to energy management efforts, they are in a learning period and will make the correct adjustments to keep the cabins comfortable.

Or perhaps we are witnessing the birth of a new cabin category 1AC, Interior Cold Cabin, 6AC Ocean View Cold Cabin, etc. (Just kidding, I think??) Although I just booked a Christmas cruise, and am seriously thinking of calling and asking to be put in a cabin closer to the front.

Last thing, this type of energy management is NOT a Carnival only cost cutting plan. This is becoming the norm in public buildings (Hotels, Offices, Hospitals, Shopping Malls, etc.) and I am sure that other cruise lines are doing it as well. You need to just get our concern to the right people at Carnival, telling them it is effecting your vacations. I would hope that the ship staff's are communicating it, but I would not count on it (or that they are being listened to)

I would guess that people leaving balcony doors open is a contributing factor to the A/C problems. Part of air conditioning's job is to remove humidity from the air - drier air holds less heat than moist air. Allowing hot humid air into the return air system WILL decrease the efficiency of the cooling system. Try running your A/C at home with the front door wide open - it's not going to work too well. Maybe the best idea would be to have a switch on the balcony door that turns on the cabin's interior lighting when the balcony door is open longer than say a minute or so - would keep people from leaving the doors open.

People leaving balcony doors open is a huge part of the problem. On some ships the air cuts off when the balcony door is open, but now people bring a magnet to place over the sensor.

Well, then the air system should work at night when most people are in their cabins for 8+ hours. Nothing worse than sleeping in a sweaty bed....yuck!!

Unless their HVAC controls are on a setback system of some sort, then no matter what the occupant does, they would not be able to change their setpoint no matter what. Again, if several people are leaving doors open and allowing high return air temperatures, these people could be affecting the entire air distribution zone they are located in. Which is why I suggested that the air management system would be ideal if you could close off return air from these areas, as well as supply air. Ideal yes, practical, no - would require more volume air dampers, variable frequency drives, more wiring, etc = more complex system.

A2MICH

I agree. The goal of this type of energy management is to save money by managing the heat and ac when no one is in the cabin. It should never be setup to the point that a guest would notice the difference (other than maybe being a "little" warmer when you first get back to the cabin). Although I also wonder if: as they make the ships bigger and add more balconies, allowing more people leave the doors open; your first post wasn't spot on about make up air. Possible, but just to be clear, RETURN air and MAKE UP air are not one and the same. Return air is recirculated and re-conditioned for space conditioning. Make up air is air that is brought in externally to make up for the same measured amount of air that is being constantly exhausted. Most restaurants use them because if the exhaust hoods that are constantly running, and many factories will use them if they are venting something outside. This is done to prevent putting the building in a negative pressure, which would be noticeable by being difficult to open the doors. Have you ever been to a restaurant where the doors don't close all the way and seem to sort of float open a bit on their own? This generally means that there is too much make up air vs exhausted air, creating a positive pressure environment inside the structure.

CISHIP, the temperatures people are reporting at night are way to warm to be comfortable, and shouldn't be left like that. My concern is if there is some type of energy management system in use, it is possible that the ship's staff can not do anything about it. I would hope that someone on ship could make adjustments. There is also the possibility that they in fact CANNOT make any adjustments. There are various control systems in use today that are controlled remotely and have various levels of security access. I've been to many jobs where you must contact the head office of that company and speak with their engineers to allow temporary access to their control systems to do any type of testing or repairs. Many large companies do this to prevent any changes being made on the local level. The companies have decided on certain temperature setpoints that allow the lowest energy expenditure, maximum efficiency, while generating the least complaints to better control operating costs.

Hopefully, if it is related to energy management efforts, they are in a learning period and will make the correct adjustments to keep the cabins comfortable.

Or perhaps we are witnessing the birth of a new cabin category 1AC, Interior Cold Cabin, 6AC Ocean View Cold Cabin, etc. (Just kidding, I think??) I think you might mean Warmer and Sweatbox! Although I just booked a Christmas cruise, and am seriously thinking of calling and asking to be put in a cabin closer to the front.

Last thing, this type of energy management is NOT a Carnival only cost cutting plan. This is becoming the norm in public buildings (Hotels, Offices, Hospitals, Shopping Malls, etc.) and I am sure that other cruise lines are doing it as well. You need to just get our concern to the right people at Carnival, telling them it is effecting your vacations. I would hope that the ship staff's are communicating it, but I would not count on it (or that they are being listened to) Or they simply don't care what the regulars think as there is such a large number of new cruisers to tap into, that our voices don't matter a whole lot.

Hard to say for sure.

People leaving balcony doors open is a huge part of the problem. On some ships the air cuts off when the balcony door is open, but now people bring a magnet to place over the sensor.

Which creates the problem of high/humid return air. The engineers need to develop a better system to completely shut off the HVAC systems in rooms where the occupants try to circumvent the system.