Rude Princess Phone Consultants

KarateMan

Not really, but we won't go there. ;)

Uh, yes really, like I said I've worked for my company for years, that kind of service would not be tolerated, what the customer said or did or acted like is not an excuse for bad service. I've also worked in the travel/ airline industry as a flight attendant and in the food industry as a server/hostess,the rule is the same all across the board. I'm not saying we're doormats, I am saying professionalism is not optional when dealing with the public....when someone is paying for a service it is our duty to provide the best service possible, no judgment, no attitude. Period.

Personally, I take offense to the Emerald Deck negative comments. The Emerald Deck is where I love to be. In the aft part of the ship, preferably.

The elevators or stairs go directly up or down to where you may need to be. I walk down one flight of stairs and I'm on the Promenade. I take a walk and go mid-ship to shop or dine or forward to entertainment.

Again, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!

EDIT: on carefully re-reading your post, I'm gonna unpost what I just said, aside from noting that the heat of your fury leading me to wonder just what you sounded like during the initial conversation.

It doesn't matter what the OP sounded like. If you are in a customer service role you should be trained to deal with irate customers and keep calm.

I work with clients every day. Most are great but some are highly emotional. I know to keep calm and diffuse the situation.

I think most people would consider that a good upgrade.

I definitely would prefer an inside on Lido as opposed to an obstructed outside cabin (regardless of deck).

I love the Lido location. Glad you got your cabin back!

Edited by Coral

I work with different customer in my field, everyday, I have for years..we apologize for the inconvenience and the trouble and do our best to please our customers.

Then, you should really be aware that there are (at least) two

sides to every story.

To keep referring to what the consultant felt was an upgrade as a downgrade could by some be considered an insult. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if you did not use the word downgrade and simply asked for your original cabin back (or one in the same area). I guess we will never know.

To keep referring to what the consultant felt was an upgrade as a downgrade could by some be considered an insult. I can't help but wonder what would have happened if you did not use the word downgrade and simply asked for your original cabin back (or one in the same area). I guess we will never know.

Why would a phone representative be insulted by this language? Even if she were, should that affect her professional behavior?

Why would a phone representative be insulted by this language? Even if she were, should that affect her professional behavior?

I worked in a call center for 12 years for a major US company. You would be shocked at the abuse we took. People get very brave behind a phone or a keyboard. Sometimes it is very hard to maintain professionalism when your intelligence, heritage, parentage etc are being attacked.

To keep referring to what the consultant felt was an upgrade as a downgrade could by some be considered an insult...

One Princess rep I've spoken with admitted that she had never even been on a ship. So to argue the merits of one cabin location vs. another may be pointless. I'd just say I am not happy with my new location, and want my old cabin or general location back.

I worked in a call center for 12 years for a major US company. You would be shocked at the abuse we took. People get very brave behind a phone or a keyboard. Sometimes it is very hard to maintain professionalism when your intelligence, heritage, parentage etc are being attacked.

I've had this, too, at one job I worked at. My go-to response for insults was "I'm sorry you feel that way". It let the caller know that I didn't agree with him or her, without insulting them back. Anything more might have gotten me fired. Always better to take the high road in these matters, difficult as it may be at times.

After reading posts by some folks (no one in particular) it is not

at all surprising if their calls become heated.

We did have the option of warning the customer that if the abuse continued, we will hang up. Only did it once in 12 years. Most of the time it was the customer being mad at themselves for waiting to book at the last minute and finding nothing left.

One Princess rep I've spoken with admitted that she had never even been on a ship.

Many have not.

The Princess rep I had for my most recent direct booking has been on a number of them and will be on the Emerald TA October 25 this year.

Many have not.

The Princess rep I had for my most recent direct booking has been on a number of them and will be on the Emerald TA October 25 this year.

I'm sure this is the same for all cruise lines. They hire from the general public where a certain percentage will have never cruised before. I've heard that cruise vacation privileges begin after one year of service, so if they've been there over a year then it would follow that they've probably been on a cruise.

Actually ask to speak to a princess vacation planner

No guarantee that a vacation planner has been on a cruise either...

I worked for several travel wholesalers in the late 80's to the mid 90's working on the reservations call centre. I hadn't traveled to most of the destinations we were selling but that didn't stop me selling ski vacations to Austria and Switzerland. By the time I started working for an outfit that sold mainly charters to Reno and Las Vegas I had been to those places but not the hotels we sold, though throughout my time there I did go on fam trips and stay at these properties. But by that time I was working in the accounting department and not reservations so I wouldn't be much help to the callers I dealt with. Not many reservations agents went on fam trips. This only happened if the plane was not sold out - think summer months for Vegas. Reservations agents had binders with hotel information that they referred to rather than actual experience, or maybe asked another staff member who'd been there if they knew the answer. There is a high turnover because these jobs pay maybe .50¢ to $1 over minimum wage. There are less stressful jobs out there for the same money and of course there are better jobs out there all together. I left for a job that paid $1000/month more than what I was earning at my last job in the travel industry accounting department and I thought I'd hit the jackpot!

Very few employees lasted more than a year and that had nothing to do with them getting fired due to customer complaints, just getting fed up and quitting. I saw notes res staff left on files so just putting it out there that there's 2 sides to every story and res staff do deal with angry people.

I'm not sure why someone would carry a grudge to the extent of wanting to see someone fired. That does sound petty. And what satisfaction can that bring a person to bring misery to someone else's life. I could see if an employee put someone's life in danger or did something to break the law then action like that would be appropriate but just cause someone took a tone or argued is such a heinous act that the person should be fired. Petty.

Several years ago, Princess was targeting high school students in the Seattle area for phone reps for their Seattle call center office.....! A friend of mine's daughter was a high school student back then and saw the ad.

Edited by Coral

And?

People had commented earlier on this thread that many agents have never actually cruised. Not sure if the posts are still there but if they are going after teenagers, it does go to show that many agents are not very experienced, this may be their first job, etc..

Edited by Coral

People had commented earlier on this thread that many agents have never actually cruised. Not sure if the posts are still there but if they are going after teenagers, it does go to show that many agents are not very experienced, this may be their first job, etc..

No, did she go for the job or just saw the ad? ;)