Rude Princess Phone Consultants

KarateMan

That last tour wholesaler I worked for also took on selling a "Mexican" cruise and I can tell you not a single person in our Vancouver office ever went on it but the staff still sold those cruises which were published in all our brochures and advertised in the newspapers. It was offered with an air package and after 20 years I don't remember which cruise line it was with but it was either 3 or 4 nights from Los Angeles, or probably Long Beach, and went to Catalina and Ensenada.

The company tried to hire people who either had some travel industry experience or had gone to travel school. Back then there were tons of travel schools offering bogus one month classes. The reservations manager said they'd go through the resumes and usually the people with experience had already found a job elsewhere by the time they were called. Then they go down the list until eventually they're at the bottom of the barrel which might be just graduated from high school students looking for their first job. And yes they were there working the phones. I walked into the washroom one day and one little girl was in their crying her eyes out because someone on the phone had treated her badly. She quit shortly after that poor little thing.

I had 3 interviews with this company over the years. The first 2 times they called me back - probably within a month of the interview - I already had found a job with another company. The 3rd interview a few years down the road the manager laughed they were going to have to move fast. But you know I always sent them a resume when I was between jobs because I did want to work there (stupid me!). If people are any good they'll be in demand for this kind of job especially back then when more opportunities existed. Always keeping their eyes open for better paying opportunities. As I said before the low pay and the abuse you take aren't worth it.

I book a mixture of direct and ta.

only once did I use a princess rep and she too had never been on a ship.

is there any way to get a princess rep with cruise experience?

Yes, there is an easy way.

1. Raise the fare for your cruise by $50 per day.

2. Use the extra money to erect a multi-million dollar building in the USA large enough to accommodate the required number of reps.

3. Hire qualified reps and pay them more than minimum wage.

4. Give those reps a good package of amenities.

5. Train those reps and require them to take frequent cruises on the company ships - in revenue cabins that have been blocked for this purpose.

Point #1 is going to be a problem for most of the people on this board.

Point #5 is going to be a big problem for the cruise line Sales and Marketing people.

2. Use the extra money to erect a multi-million dollar building in the USA large enough to accommodate the required number of reps.

5. Train those reps and require them to take frequent cruises on the company ships - in revenue cabins that have been blocked for this purpose.

Point #5 is going to be a big problem for the cruise line Sales and Marketing people.

An inexpensive start would be requiring reps to attend a BVE, along with a special tour geared towards viewing things onboard they need to know for their jobs. The reps I have spoken with are in the LA area, so a BVE at San Pedro would not involve overnight travel for them.

Edited by Ryndam2002

An inexpensive start would be requiring reps to attend a BVE, along with a special tour geared towards viewing things onboard they need to know for their jobs. The reps I have spoken with are in the LA area, so a BVE at San Pedro would not involve overnight travel for them.

From what I understand from my friend who works at Princess (started in the call center and worked his way up...), new classes of agents do spend a day onboard a ship in San Pedro ('course not during the summer...). And he did mention that there are a fair amount of Platinum/Elite agents. Apparently the vacation perks are very generous and many who work in the call center do so for those perks.

From what I understand from my friend who works at Princess (started in the call center and worked his way up...), new classes of agents do spend a day onboard a ship in San Pedro ('course not during the summer...). And he did mention that there are a fair amount of Platinum/Elite agents. Apparently the vacation perks are very generous and many who work in the call center do so for those perks.

That is good to hear. I did speak with one phone rep, however, who said she had never been on a ship before, and didn't seem to know much about them. Perhaps she meant she had never SAILED on a ship before. Nevertheless, she didn't know what an obstructed view was, and had never heard of a meta upgrade, so more training is in order. At least she was pleasant :).

Edited by Ryndam2002

Actually ask to speak to a princess vacation planner

I should have been more clear. the princess agent I dealt with one time WAS a vacation planner who had never been on a ship. she was friendly but I hate it when I know more than they do.

well that wasn't helpful to me at all.

Remember there is also a call center in Seattle and ships are only there for around 3 months. Depending on how long their employment is (high turnover position), they may not be there when ships are there to tour.

I am aware that the vacation perks are very generous for employees and I hope they have an opportunity to take a cruise also to experience it.

An even less expensive option - have new employees read cruise critic - then they would know EVERYTHING! :rolleyes: